More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 02:07:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Submit Issues about Nightlife
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Submit Issues about Nightlife  (Read 64847 times)
rhodaloo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Submit Issues about Nightlife
« Reply #25 on: 2005 September 22, 18:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tom, when I first started having problems with University, I didn't have any errors logs show up in the  logs your form references.  I finally sent a screaming rant on my report and stopped sending anything.
If I should buy Nightlife, have bugs, and the logs show no error logs, what would the patch team need to see? Information from the cheat box? Thanks.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 September 22, 18:25:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been in real trouble for saying damn on American sites, while here in the UK it's considered fairly mild.

As far as I and pretty much everyone I've encountered irl save for nuns are concerned, it's pretty mild to us as well. Please don't take net nannies on goody goody sims sites as representative of what the average American considers mild or offensive.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 September 22, 18:34:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

08 - problem in non-English languages (fixed in patch).  Also may be a soundcard issue (AC97), or performance dropping sounds (put audio settings on highest)
We have seen that this is definetely not a performance dropping sounds situation.
Ok tom, but why do ONLY these sounds have a problem with teh AC97 soundcard chipset? every other sound in the game works fine with it, so why are these diffenrent? And while this is a problem with non-USEnglish games, will it have a fix in the patch?
« Last Edit: 2005 September 22, 18:58:34 by linolino » Logged
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 September 22, 18:34:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As a programmer, you can't fix a bug unless you can reproduce it.  If you can't reproduce it, you can only guess at the cause, and there's no way to verify if the change you've made has actually solved the problem.  There's nothing more frustrating for a programmer than knowing a problem exists, yet having no way to attack it.

From what I've seen, most bugs are not caused by what *appears* to be the cause. This is why bug reports are not trustworthy. In particular, projects like this (complex and kludgy) tend to be prone to misdiagnosis. Coders themselves are frequently unaware of the true source of a problem until they trace through the code to its problem-causing conditions.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 September 22, 18:39:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been in real trouble for saying damn on American sites, while here in the UK it's considered fairly mild.

As far as I and pretty much everyone I've encountered irl save for nuns are concerned, it's pretty mild to us as well. Please don't take net nannies on goody goody sims sites as representative of what the average American considers mild or offensive.

That's what I was thinking. I'm american, and I don't know anyone who's offended by that word, or at least brought it to my attention that they were offended. That is pretty much considered tame, here, as well. I've heard my Grandma say worse.
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 September 22, 18:42:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pretty tame in Canada too. 
Shupinola
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 September 22, 19:44:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I was thinking. I'm american, and I don't know anyone who's offended by that word, or at least brought it to my attention that they were offended. That is pretty much considered tame, here, as well. I've heard my Grandma say worse.

Dunno ... I've been threatened with a ban from the official site for using the word 'Damned'. In the UK it means nothing, but wanker is a very offensive word over here. In fact a few years ago, it meant that some episodes of Buffy were getting a lot of editing before being aired at 6:45 in the evening. In the UK, wanker is certainly on a par with that word that describes excrement and rhymes with spit. In fact, go into most UK pubs and call someone a wanker and don't be at all surprised if you end up wearing your drink followed by the glass being pushed in your face.

I think it's fair to say that some UK parents are not going to aprove of their kids owning a game that contains this kind of language.
Azkar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 September 22, 19:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

08 - problem in non-English languages (fixed in patch).  Also may be a soundcard issue (AC97), or performance dropping sounds (put audio settings on highest)
And while this is a problem with non-USEnglish games, will it have a fix in the patch?
You quoted the answer to your question, eh ..
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 September 22, 19:55:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shupinola:  Well the BBS is littered with 10 year olds who probably think gosh darn is foul language and run to tell their moms about the bad word they heard.  Roll Eyes

That they threatened you with a ban over "damn" is ridiculous beyond belief, but take their opinions about the severity of words, or for that matter their opinions about everything, with a grain of salt.

linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 September 22, 21:04:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

08 - problem in non-English languages (fixed in patch).  Also may be a soundcard issue (AC97), or performance dropping sounds (put audio settings on highest)
And while this is a problem with non-USEnglish games, will it have a fix in the patch?
You quoted the answer to your question, eh ..

DUUUHHHH, i think i've lost my mind... im going crazy
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 September 22, 21:34:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are correct.  It is a safety mechanism to make sure sims get off the driveway, because there were so many edge cases where sims dawdle and other cars or what not run them over.  Lots of edge cases...
I think a better way of handling this would be "Road Waffle!". That way you'd never have to worry about a sim dawdling. THUMP-SQUISH. Problem solved.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2005 September 22, 22:12:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By all means, spread the knowledge.  Yes, UK English is considered different.  As you know, Americans have changed the spelling of a few words and we want to make sure those in the UK get text that is more appropriate for them (and doesn't offend).

Not sure what you mean by this.  I have the UK version and all the spellings are American.  It drives me totally insane!  I have changed what I can in SimPE, but I can honestly say the spellings are NOT UK English.  If they were, we'd have neighboUrhoods and centREs and so on and we don't.  I really do wish something could be done about this, I was horrified to discover it wasn't in TS2.  It was so bad with TS1 that my handbooks were half UK English and half US, including some words which were spelt both ways.  If you need an editor with a photographic memory and journalistic experience, I'm available at a moment's notice ... and yes, I AM serious!!!

And before anyone picks up on it, "spelt" is correct in the UK.  We can use "spelled" if we wish (our version is so much more flexible), but we pronounce it "spelt" so it's spelt spelt (as it were, so to speak, and all that) by the majority of people.  Doesn't look right the other way, anyway!

Tom, talking of offence, were you aware that the Elder Females do a fair bit of quite offensive swearing?  I am not sure if maybe those words are not considered bad in America (bugger and wankers).   I have been in real trouble for saying damn on American sites, while here in the UK it's considered fairly mild.
And now for the serious bit ... Inge, are you saying that elder females in the GAME are using these words?  They are actually speaking English and not Simlish?  I certainly hope they are NOT using them in the game because I would certainly be very offended, not so much at "bugger" (although I still wouldn't like it), but "wanker" is totally unacceptable.  The game may have jumped to 12+ here, but if I heard my 13-year-old using that word she would be in BIG trouble.  She'd be in trouble for saying "bugger" too, but not as much.  I, of course, would get the stock reply "But YOU say it", to which I would answer "I'm allowed to say it, I'm the adult round here" (which is totally illogical and drove me crazy when I was her age, but I disregard that fact because I'm an adult now).
« Last Edit: 2005 September 22, 22:21:19 by Ancient Sim » Logged

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Havelock
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 September 22, 23:01:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone mentioned the missing shadows issue in your sims inventory what makes Beds and other Objects with Wallshadows unplaceable and looks odd with chairs and tables.

I get allway this message in my cheat console :

ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'westwallshadow' in 'tableDiningFormica1x1'
.\source\TSSGShadow.cpp(1586)
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'groundshadow' in 'treeWillow'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'southwallshadow' in 'dartBoard'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'groundshadow' in 'computerCheap'

This Objects from my Sim Invetory are all Shadowless now it makes no sense to use the Inventory to move a Sim to onother Lot. Some Objects are only placeable whit move objects on cheat now.
« Last Edit: 2005 September 22, 23:11:06 by Havelock » Logged
linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 September 22, 23:46:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone mentioned the missing shadows issue in your sims inventory what makes Beds and other Objects with Wallshadows unplaceable and looks odd with chairs and tables.

ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'westwallshadow' in 'tableDiningFormica1x1'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'groundshadow' in 'treeWillow'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'southwallshadow' in 'dartBoard'
ERROR TSSGShadow: GUOB subset not bound to GUOB material: 'groundshadow' in 'computerCheap'

This Objects from my Sim Invetory are all Shadowless now it makes no sense to use the Inventory to move a Sim to onother Lot. Some Objects are only placeable whit move objects on cheat now.

OH, MY, GOD!!!! is that why i can't place my bed and dresser anymore againt the wall? i've moved my sims and placed their furniture in the inventory, now i cant put the bed or the dresser against the wall, unless i have moveobjects turned on!!!
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 September 23, 00:33:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

05 - sims will walk as much as they need to put the coffe cup on a end table. even if they need to go up 5 floors to do it.

05 - stupid sims.

Glad you think so too!  So.... ever going to be fixed?

<insert witty comment here>
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 September 23, 00:49:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tom, talking of offence, were you aware that the Elder Females do a fair bit of quite offensive swearing?  I am not sure if maybe those words are not considered bad in America (bugger and wankers).   I have been in real trouble for saying damn on American sites, while here in the UK it's considered fairly mild.

How can you complain when an old lady named "Fannie" is calling other Sims "wankers" and saying "bugger"?

Or

How can you complain when an old lady named "Cunt" is calling other sims masterbatingfucktards(best I could translate to) and saying "Ass fuck"?

Now THAT is FUNNY!

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 September 23, 03:22:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tom, talking of offence, were you aware that the Elder Females do a fair bit of quite offensive swearing? I am not sure if maybe those words are not considered bad in America (bugger and wankers). I have been in real trouble for saying damn on American sites, while here in the UK it's considered fairly mild.

How can you complain when an old lady named "Fannie" is calling other Sims "wankers" and saying "bugger"?

Or

How can you complain when an old lady named "Cunt" is calling other sims masterbatingfucktards(best I could translate to) and saying "Ass fuck"?

Now THAT is FUNNY!

Ummm, yeah.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
noname
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005 September 23, 04:06:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OH, MY, GOD!!!! is that why i can't place my bed and dresser anymore againt the wall? i've moved my sims and placed their furniture in the inventory, now i cant put the bed or the dresser against the wall, unless i have moveobjects turned on!!!

I think that only happens with inventoried beds, but I haven't the slightest idea why.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2005 September 23, 06:07:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

03 - Make Bed action is not cancellable.

I've been going kind of easy on putting some of the mods back in my game--checking from time to time to see what works and what doesn't, and just put them in as I go along, so I never did get around to putting back in the abortbedmaking one.

Then today I was playing with one of those Virgos, and you all know how they are about making their beds, right?  Well, about the time good old Abercrombie woke up I queued up taking care of the money trees, then make the bed slid in right behind.  I don't know whatever I was thinking at one point, but for whatever reason I decided not to have him make his bed that morning and forgot that I couldn't cancel it.  So, I hit to cancel it and low and behold, Abercrombie did NOT make his bed!

So, maybe this one actually has been fixed.  It sure seemed to work today.  Cheesy

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2005 September 23, 07:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And now for the serious bit ... Inge, are you saying that elder females in the GAME are using these words?  They are actually speaking English and not Simlish?  I certainly hope they are NOT using them in the game because I would certainly be very offended, not so much at "bugger" (although I still wouldn't like it), but "wanker" is totally unacceptable.

See that's where I wonder about cultural differences.  Bugger means anal intercourse and wanking means intercourse with self - and I was brought up that both words were as "rude" as fuck which is vaginal intercourse.   I don't mind hearing or seeing the words myself, but I was very surprised that Maxis were happy to have them in the game.   So I wondered if they heard them but didn't think it mattered due to cultural differences.

Edit: I heard some of the sound files were different for various localisations of the game, is it possible some of the voice files were different too?   Anyone else here in the UK who has also heard these words - very clearly - in the game over and again?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005 September 23, 07:58:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then today I was playing with one of those Virgos, and you all know how they are about making their beds, right?  Well, about the time good old Abercrombie woke up I queued up taking care of the money trees, then make the bed slid in right behind.  I don't know whatever I was thinking at one point, but for whatever reason I decided not to have him make his bed that morning and forgot that I couldn't cancel it.  So, I hit to cancel it and low and behold, Abercrombie did NOT make his bed!

So, maybe this one actually has been fixed.  It sure seemed to work today.  Cheesy
It's on the list for "no code changes", so it hasn't changed. However, if you cancel it *BEFORE* it lights up, it will die. Once it lights up, though, there's no stopping the sim. He'll hike (slowly) 20 miles uphill and against the wind to do it. Nothing short of complete blockade will stop him. I'm not even sure setting him on fire would stop him.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005 September 23, 09:24:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or

I see your point, that's a literal translation here in NZ too. I wonder if Maxis actually realise different peoples rate swearwords differently. For example, the Indian people here think 'bloody' is a very bad swearword. 'You bloody, bloody man', is extremely insulting. 'Shit' however doesn't seem to faze them.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2005 September 23, 09:50:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Spain, saying "bad eggs" is quite shocking.   And in Poland "cholera" is a swearword.

In the UK 60's (when I was a teen being told off for saying certain words) Bugger and fuck were the worst, followed by shit, sod, crap, prat, piss, cunt, arse, prick.  All the preceding would never be said in front of children.  The following could be said in front of children, but kids weren't meant to copy them: damn, bloody, blast, for crying out loud, stone the crows.   Children had to say "bother" and "oh dear" and call people "silly" as an insult.   "stupid" would have been considered too strong.

It's only in recent years cunt has risen to the top of the list, it used to be used by me and my friends to describe our parts just like men were calling theirs "prick"

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2005 September 23, 11:31:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of the Toyota TV ads here started using the word bugger, there was a huge fuss, many were offended. Bugger is used quite commonly in everyday speech, I'm guessing most people don't even know what it means. Fanny is not a word in big use here but it certainly means cunt rather than bum.

Common insults here are more like arsehole, bastard, dickhead and so on, including the worst swearwords, which I won't bother repeating all over again. Oh and bi-aatch as a variation on bitch.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2005 September 23, 13:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I've had more than my share of nannies piss and moan about all sorts of things, but I don't ever remember them saying those words, or really any real words that I could make out. I don't think the sound files are any different for different versions of the game either.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: