More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 14:42:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  OMGPETZ! won't finish installing- help please?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: OMGPETZ! won't finish installing- help please?  (Read 5544 times)
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
OMGPETZ! won't finish installing- help please?
« on: 2006 December 25, 17:26:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angry Okay, so I've been trying for a couple hours now and it's not working. Here's the problem:
The install goes fine until after it checks if the patches are up to date. Then, when it asks me to switch to Disk 1, I do that, and it says "Please Wait"...
... and it stays there...
and stays there...
And after five+ minutes, I figure it's not working, because my computer's faster than that.

I had similar problems installing the base game, but in that case I followed the instructions on the official site to install from disk images and it worked. I tried that here- and nope, it just asks for the disks.

I closed background tasks and removed my hacks folder before I started trying to install. I had the base game, Uni, Nightlife, and OFB installed, with all the patches. (Incidentally, I thought Pets might run anyway because it was past the copying-files stage: oh, it ran, but when it got to the main menu it said OFB had been uninstalled. Huh Whatever it was doing when it froze at "Please Wait" must have been important after all.)

This is really beginning to piss me off. Help??

(P.S. Getting "cannot find server" when I try to *post* my plea for help isn't much fun either. Computers hate me today, apparently.)
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: OMGPETZ! won't finish installing- help please?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 25, 17:35:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MIne did that and I checked it and it had installed .

Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 25, 17:59:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, cool- but why is it saying I uninstalled OFB when I actually run the game?

(edit: okay, Pets does seem to be installed. Now I just need to get it to recognize that OFB still is.)
« Last Edit: 2006 December 25, 18:17:27 by Insanity Prelude » Logged
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 25, 21:01:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you get the OFB patch?  Some people have had this problem with ZOMGPETZ!!!!11 IM not sure why this is.. I had the patch and it didnt disappear. 

Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 25, 22:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I have the OFB patch. (When it checked for patches while installing Pets, it said the game was already up-to-date.)
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 26, 00:43:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ugh.... I know there have been people who have had this problem. dammit.. I tried searching. Sorrry I coudnt be more helpful..I just recognized the stalling on the installation. I would do a search here and hell even the BBS on this.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 26, 01:18:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen some people complain about that over at MTS2.
I think they mostly solved it by copying the installation disc over to the computer and installing from there.  I'll see if I can find one of those threads.

At least that worked in the cases where the whole thing was not caused by people installing two EPs into the same directory, but you don't sound that stupid.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 December 26, 23:49:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried copying the installation discs over and it just asked for the discs anyway.

Like I said, it's apparently installed, now the problem is getting it to recognize OFB is still installed.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 December 27, 00:02:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reinstall OFB and see if that allows the game to recognize it again.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 December 27, 21:38:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried that, and it didn't help at all. :/

(I did find out the hard way, though, that uninstalling an EP deletes your downloads. >O good thing I've got them all on a disk around here somewhere.)

For now, I'm Petsless until I find out what the heck *will* work. System Restore turned out to be useful after all (anyone else notice that the uninstaller for Pets doesn't work?)
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 December 27, 23:33:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For now, I'm Petsless until I find out what the heck *will* work. System Restore turned out to be useful after all (anyone else notice that the uninstaller for Pets doesn't work?)

You might want to make one more try at installing Pets after cleaning your CD drive.

And I wouldn't doubt that the uninstaller didn't work properly, since the install failed in the first place!
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 December 28, 09:24:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You need to completely move the Sims2 folder from My Documents. It seems to happen when you try to install over saved games- it uninstalls (or at least thinks it has) the last EP/SP you'd installed before it.  I had it happen, and so have lots of others, and that's the only common denominator I've been able to establish- most of us just removed our downloads and backed up the rest, but didn't move them entirely.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to do a complete manual uninstall- it most likely screwed up the uninstall.exe, and start over fresh.  I know, the canned answer, but in this instance, it's the only thing that works if just removing the folder and trying again fails.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 December 28, 17:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't think of removing the folder. Alright, I'll try that when I get home. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: