More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:39:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Ye Olde Simmes 2 Archives: Dead Creators
| |-+  Ye Olde Syberspunke Archives (Moderator: syberspunk)
| | |-+  Uni Careers Hack Polling Thread
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which 3 careers would you like to require Uni degrees from the Lies and Propaganda: Seasons Edition?
adventurer
gamer
music
law
journalism
education

Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Uni Careers Hack Polling Thread  (Read 29829 times)
syberspunk
Heretic

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Uni Careers Hack Polling Thread
« on: 2006 December 14, 01:58:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Poll says it all. I'm hoping that I will still be able to edit it.

Anyways... if it ain't obvious, this thread will contain polls relevant to the Uni Careers Hack. The beta version is available for testing here.

I started the Feedback and Suggestions thread in the Podium over here.

I already have 3 in mind myself, but I'm curious what other people think. I'll leave this thread running until Seasons actually comes out.

Ste
« Last Edit: 2007 April 12, 16:23:01 by syberspunk » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Uni Careers Hack Polling Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 14, 02:11:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would have thought this would be obvious. "Adventuring" is what you do when you lack the interest, or qualifications, for anything else. It typically ends when you get eaten by a grue after forgetting to bring enough lights. Gaming and Music are pretty much the antithesis of a college education, and you'd probably flunk out.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 14, 02:15:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just had to Google "Grue" as I didn't know what the hell it was!  Cheesy

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
moonluck
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 14, 02:29:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The ones that should require are kind of obvious and making them require going to uni would be much appreachiated, Ste.

Seasons will have an "adventurers" career? What is that? It is very weird, but the others are nice, although gamer is slightly unrealistic. How are they going to make 10 paying career levels for that?

Or I could be totally wrong...
syberspunk
Heretic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 14, 02:31:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would have thought this would be obvious.

Well... yeh. But with the advent of "gaming" schools and "game development" majors cropping up in many universities now, I figured that some people might want that. Also... music would also depend on how you interpret the career. If it's like rock/pop music, then you probably don't need a formal education. But if it's like classically trained musician, that's different story.

Besides... I like polls. Grin

Ste

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 14, 02:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Besides... I like polls. Grin

Oh OK, that convinced me. Looks like I'm one with the masses this time. Baa-aa-aa

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 14, 03:01:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well... yeh. But with the advent of "gaming" schools and "game development" majors cropping up in many universities now, I figured that some people might want that. Also... music would also depend on how you interpret the career. If it's like rock/pop music, then you probably don't need a formal education. But if it's like classically trained musician, that's different story.
Those schools give you all of the training you need for a future career in the fast food industry. Admittedly, you would have been better qualified had you learned 5 different languages in which to say, "Would you like fries with that, sir?"

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 December 14, 03:58:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...Admittedly, you would have been better qualified had you learned 5 different languages in which to say, "Would you like fries with that, sir?"

That's who you remind me of! Heinlein. TANSTAAFL

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 December 14, 05:38:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess "gamer" will depend on the definitions of the career. Is the first level for gamer C/C++ coder, going up from there through levels of what is essentially computer programming mastery? Then yes, indeed, it should be a degreed career (and more than three of the new careers should require degrees). Or are we talking GMing, in which case I will gut and completely rewrite the career to make it reflect something plausible. (Maybe gambler. Hmmmm...starting level, croupier...)

As far as artistic careers go, well, imho uni may or may not be a path to advancement. I studied ballet for many years, and--speaking solely from my own subjective experiences and observations--would suggest that a ballet career only be available to teens who maxed out "dancer" as a teen career. From there the levels would be (I'm using the levels of the Russian Imperial Ballet here, but they are pretty standardized):

6) prima ballerina (the title "prima ballerina assoluta" might be available as a very low possibility chance card. Only a handful of dancers have ever earned that accolade...but this is Sims, so meh?)
5) ballerina
4) premiere danseuse
3) soloist
2) coryphée (that's the rank of, for example, one of the cygnets in the little pas de quatre in "Swan Lake"--a featured performer, but not yet a soloist
1) corps de ballet

Further levels might be: instructor, choreographer, assistant artistic director, and artistic director.

I can see the same type of progression for classical music...a "well-rounded" uni degree might well detract from the intensive practice and training a performance career demands.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 December 14, 10:52:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

adventurer
gamer
music
law
journalism
education

From the above list, only law, journalism, and education require that your connections demand paper proof of your worthiness to avoid charges of favoritism. Any 12-year-old can become a successful gamer, musician. Adventurer only requires that you have lots of free time and/or money.

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 December 14, 15:17:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess "gamer" will depend on the definitions of the career. Is the first level for gamer C/C++ coder, going up from there through levels of what is essentially computer programming mastery? Then yes, indeed, it should be a degreed career (and more than three of the new careers should require degrees). Or are we talking GMing, in which case I will gut and completely rewrite the career to make it reflect something plausible. (Maybe gambler. Hmmmm...starting level, croupier...)

Well, I wouldn't make "coder" the first level.  Maybe "play tester" or "gofer."  Put in "coder" at about 3rd level.

I do know someone who made a living for a while as a professional GM.  Just gotta know people willing to pay $20 or $30 a head for a day's playing...
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 December 14, 15:29:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good DMs are few and far between. Back when I was still a D&D-playing geek (as opposed to a non-D&D playing geek now?) I'd have killed for a DM with some imagination.
syberspunk
Heretic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 December 14, 16:52:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

adventurer     - 1 (1%)
gamer    - 0 (0%)
music    - 1 (1%)
law    - 35 (35.4%)
journalism    - 29 (29.3%)
education    - 33 (33.3%)

Total Voters: 35

Uh... I'm totally confused by these results. Undecided Are people NOT choosing 3 options? Because if there are 35 voters... shouldn't there be a total of 35 * 3 = 105 votes?!?!? Huh Tongue

I guess I have to edit the poll so maybe the instructions are clearer. Not that it matters. I guess if I ask a retarded question, I'm bound to get retarded people giving retarded answers. Roll Eyes

Ste

ETA: Hrm... I guess I can't edit the poll. But I was able to edit my polls in RL. Oh well. So much for that idea. Sad

Countess
MMEStalker
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 December 14, 17:04:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess if I ask a retarded question, I'm bound to get retarded people giving retarded answers. Roll Eyes

Well I can tell you that one of those retarded answers was mine as I was trying to do about four things at once when I voted and accidentally either failed to check or unchecked Journalism, I noticed a split second too late. Sorry.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 December 16, 01:48:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Silly Syberspunk, you have the option to pick anywhere from up to three careers. You're only missing about 6 votes, as it is, and some might think that only law and education would be the most suitable for degrees.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 December 24, 16:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can see the same type of progression for classical music...a "well-rounded" uni degree might well detract from the intensive practice and training a performance career demands.

Actually no, classical musicians generally train at university level - either at a conservatoire (like me - yes, I did train as a concert pianist) or in a music department of a University.  You are simply expected to put in the hours and hours of practice.  I was informed on my first day that 4 hours a day was a minimum, preferably six.  And on top of that, we had all our academic work to do as well, plus performances.

I can't see that journalists need a degree myself - I know plenty who are simply good (and/or) efficient writers.  There are college courses for journalism, of course, but not every journo has the qualifications.

Inteen for AL, yay!
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 December 24, 18:26:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Journalism is not about qualifications. It's about having the right grandfather (and in some cases, about having the right great-grandfather). Just like politics.  Tongue

That said, you won't get juiced in just because you know all the right people. You still have to compete with dozens of other blue bloods who also earned their positions by having the same grandfathers. So, to university you go, and the one who gets the furthest will probably get the best position.

Athena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 December 25, 17:25:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Law and Education for the first two, obviously.

As others have mentioned, Gaming does require education, at least insofar as you need to know how to program.  A lot of programmers are self-taught, but many do have degrees in computer science - I'm not sure how many who go into gaming have degrees though.  There are many schools for journalism, but going into journalism doesn't require having an education in that field.  Music depends on the type of music - garage bands and singers don't generally require education, but classical musicians do.  Adventurers don't need any formal education whatsoever.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 December 25, 20:33:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You still need an education though.  No publication worth its weight would hire someone who did not graduate from college and most require that you majored in either Journalism, English or a related field.  If we're talking blogs, then you probably don't need an education for that, but if it's going to be anything like the Journalism career in TS1, then you would definitely need a degree by the time you get to Level 5.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 December 25, 22:54:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A lot of programmers are self-taught...

And it shows.  Tongue  Even Bill Gates went to college and his coding is crap.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 December 26, 01:40:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I can tell, academic coding practices are the absolute worst, because their code is rarely intended to be maintained or put into service.

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 April 13, 02:59:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here I am again, sharing my inflated two cents!

Quote from: Li'l Brudder's revised proposed hack improvements
CareerRequires EducationAssociated Major(s)Requires Associated MajorAdditional Major
AdventurerNoArt and HistoryNoLiterature
EducationYesBiology, Physics, and MathematicsYesLiterature
GamerNoMathematics and PhysicsNoDrama
JournalismYesLiterature and PhilosophyNoArt
LawYesBiology and LieratureYesPsychology
MusicNoHistory and ArtNoPhilosophy
« Last Edit: 2007 April 13, 03:07:03 by Li'l Brudder » Logged
draconis
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 April 13, 14:26:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I reckon Law would need history more than biology, after all half of law is looking up precedents. And Adventurers could certainly use biology, so they'd know what it is that's about to eat them.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 May 01, 17:38:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Generally History and Philosophy are considered to be a good background for a law degree. I wouldn't think Biology.

Chienne
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 May 08, 17:08:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Generally History and Philosophy are considered to be a good background for a law degree. I wouldn't think Biology.

No, Biology would be really low on the list of majors for a law career.  I'd think Political Science would be the best major, with History and Psychology also being useful.  Of course, for a trial lawyer, you could argue that Drama would be the most useful. :-)

Middle-aged professional woman still plays video games.  Film at 11.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: