More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 19:41:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  house lights won't turn on
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: house lights won't turn on  (Read 6342 times)
Morague
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
house lights won't turn on
« on: 2006 December 06, 07:52:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi Smiley

I was wondering if anyone ever had this problem & if so, is there a solution.

I have one sim house where the lights will not turn on. i have deleted them, put in new ones, tried numerous different lights but they just won't turn on. All of the other houses work. I've tried turning them on & off, this room, autolights, everything.

I don't have any of the light hacks except the CommunityLightsOn

I'm starting to think that there's a problem with the lot.......
« Last Edit: 2006 December 06, 23:22:30 by Morague » Logged
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
Re: house lighs won't turn on
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 06, 14:01:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are they by chance ceiling lights that you are trying to use?

If so, check your 'ceiling area' by looking up in build mode, might need to go up to the next level, and making sure the 'ceiling grid' of white checkerboard outline is there. 

For some reason, I've had this problem with the disappearing ceiling grid before, and none of the ceiling lights would work until the ceiling tiles were re-established correctly using a column from the build mode to reset every square of ceiling tile that happened to be missing.

Yeah...it was a pain in the butt to get them all back and I don't even know where they "poofed" to in the first place!

But whenever my ceiling lights aren't working, I always check the ceiling grid first now!

FrickinIdjit
Corpulent Cretin

ENTJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 06, 14:07:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gah!  You can save a lot of trouble by using the level tool upstairs.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 06, 16:11:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gah!  You can save a lot of trouble by using the level tool upstairs.

*pokes FrickinIdjit for being rude*

This isn't the first time I've mentioned this method on here of replacing the wayward ceiling tiles, and yet you are the first snippy reply I've gotten to this.  My method does work, even though it may take a few precious minutes of time to do so.  If you do have another way that works, speak up and offer some more details on how to do it and actually be of some help instead of wandering in rudely and making such snide remarks like everyone should just know what you're going on about. 

And maybe that's not even Morague's problem either.  Do you have any other ideas what it could be?  I expressed my opinion based on the few times I've had lights not working.  If you have a different experience to share, that would be most helpful in diagnosing the problem and finding a solution.

Morague, whatever it is, I do hope you get it sorted out.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 06, 17:25:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I assume FrickinIdjit means using boolprop constrainFloorElevation false.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Morague
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 06, 23:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ivy,

Thank you! That is exactly what the problem was. There were no ceiling tiles - actually there were just a few of them but they were right above the actual floor. I have no idea how that happpened, but one i added a floor to the second level & then erased it & put the roof back on the lights came on!

YAY!!!

Thank you Wink
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
Re: house lights won't turn on
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 07, 01:04:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmmm I wonder if this is connected with another bug with lights.

a couple people mentioned trouble with not being able to move some lights or delete them (over at InSIM) and then the other day, I was putting lights in a house I had just finished building, needed to move a light from where I had just placed it but couldn't grab it with the hand (I couldn't do anything with it) I ended up having to hit the back button untill I got to the point before placing that light. In my case there was a second floor and the tiles were there...unless they disappeared after I placed the light (I didn't go to the second floor untill later)

Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 December 07, 13:39:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Morague,
I have seen that too where the 'ceiling tiles' end up at some odd weird height for who-knows-what reason.  I'm so glad you got it sorted out!

Sleepycat,
It's been my experience that I've been able to move/delete the lights on the non-existant ceiling tiles which is how I first figured out the problem.  Move the light one square over, and it was fine, move it back and poof it'd go out.  I'm sorry I can't offer any insight.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 December 07, 13:50:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cieling tiles all over the place is usually caused by creative building, especially creators who use constrainFloorElevation a lot, old-style castle roofs (pre OFB), split levels, garages connected to foundations, L-shaped staircses, and besements.  May builders don't actually play the game, so they might not notice that their houses don't function properly.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 December 07, 13:57:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ain't THAT the truth. So many houses and comm lots that look great are actually unplayable.
Bedrooms with no place to place a double bed
Split-level stairwells with a landing of only one tile (causing routing errors to the extreme)
Garages with no access but the garage door

Comm lots with elevators with only one tile in front of them
Dance clubs with a DJ platform which cannot spawn a DJ due to placement
One-tile corridors leading to and from the bathrooms
etc. etc..

Plus, many builders are too lazy to decorate their houses... I don't want empty shells. Place some essential furniture so I can tell what room is supposed to the the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom etc. at least.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 December 09, 23:35:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the problem with the holiday stuff pack wreaking HAVOC with the lights not turning on in the living room and bathroom , yet the baby's room is lit up like the 4th of July while the baby is sleeping Shocked

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: