More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:36:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Why do so many people's male sims look like women?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Why do so many people's male sims look like women?  (Read 69399 times)
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Why do so many people's male sims look like women?
« Reply #75 on: 2006 November 20, 14:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Trepie is the only one that succeeded to create a male sim who doesn't look feminine, and still is gorgeous. I use his model (in various looks) to create my male sims.

...Apropo, JMP-sim is not bad at all, without the long beard...Smiley.

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 November 20, 14:08:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Trepie is the only one that succeeded to create a male sim who doesn't look feminine, and still is gorgeous. I use his model (in various looks) to create my male sims.

...Apropo, JMP-sim is not bad at all, without the long beard...Smiley

Well, that still falls into the pretty boy category for me. Maybe I just have a wider definition for pretty boy. I think my general criteria is if I think he's hot, then he's pretty. Lol.

And is JM really? I think I'll have to d/l him now to see. Tongue
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 November 20, 14:18:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, idtiminger, it is JMP; I cloned him to a YA at the Body Shop, and here he is at his graduation party.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 November 20, 14:33:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, Trepie is in all my neighborhoods.  When I was making sim Trepie, which I just changed the eyebrows and a slightly different hair, my hubby asked me why all my male sims look like Walker: Texas Ranger.  I don't think they do, but I do like manly looking men.

Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock) is my heartthrob.

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 November 20, 14:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those most certainly aren't my eyes or my hair. And part of the contributing factor is undoubtedly the invariant sim bodytype: The real me is somewhat squat and wide, like an oversized dwarf. And hairy. I am very hairy. I even have cheek whiskers, that the game simply doesn't have. They stick straight out and allow me to sense vibrations, such as those produced by incoming tigers, or soon-to-be-dead Galis. My real head is also slightly asymmetrically lopsided, which can't happen in sims.

And that is also the BlueSoup rendering, which suffers from BLUESOUP DISTORTION. It's hard to get a clear image with a head so fat like that. Let's not forget the lensing effect produced by the light being warped by the gravitational field generated by BlueSoup's enormously fat head before she sees it.
« Last Edit: 2006 November 20, 14:53:17 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 November 20, 17:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most pple are flattered when they're called good-looking, JM. Tongue
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 November 20, 18:33:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So how does this explain why I'm attracted to teeth, spinities, and angry-eyebrows?

Auto-eroticism.

verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 November 20, 18:55:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I once watched a documentary which looked into this area. It basically said women in the ovulating period tended to be attracted by more 'manly' men. Because of the instict to reproduce with the stronger more dominant types, and give your child the best chances of survival after birth and throughout their lives.
On the other days of the menstrual cycle, they tend to go for more softer lines of the face, less hairy, so more feminine-type faces, for the emotional type of guy, presumably.
At least that's what I remember about it. (Professor Robert Winston's Human body series I think-been a while)

back to this theory,  which i also saw in a documentary.. there was a second part of the postulation which i dont think was provided.. forgive me if i repeat something..  that the reason for the more emotive/feminine male attraction most of the time was because your best dna contributer does not necessarily make the best child upbringer.  in this way you would have the family-father with the more feminized features bringing up a mix of his children and children sired by 'warrior donors'.  he gets his mix in because statistically hes around more often for insemination.   this makes sense when you figure the warrior-donor is always running off to battle and getting killed.   yes up to a point skill matters but with enough battles you are going to see the attrition rate.   anyway it was a point i found interesting.

Life is tough.
Life is Tougher if you act STUPID.
siggylove
Furry!
Knuckleheaded Knob

Mr Flibble's very cross

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 November 20, 20:17:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those most certainly aren't my eyes or my hair. And part of the contributing factor is undoubtedly the invariant sim bodytype: The real me is somewhat squat and wide, like an oversized dwarf. And hairy. I am very hairy. I even have cheek whiskers, that the game simply doesn't have. They stick straight out and allow me to sense vibrations, such as those produced by incoming tigers, or soon-to-be-dead Galis. My real head is also slightly asymmetrically lopsided, which can't happen in sims.

And that is also the BlueSoup rendering, which suffers from BLUESOUP DISTORTION. It's hard to get a clear image with a head so fat like that. Let's not forget the lensing effect produced by the light being warped by the gravitational field generated by BlueSoup's enormously fat head before she sees it.

The whiskers, remind me of another TV program when I was a kid, Catweazel.  Are these the sort of whiskers you mean?

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotamy
Horanda
Knuckleheaded Knob

I used to have to be nice

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 November 20, 20:29:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this is probably too wierd, even for this place, but I have always been more attracted by personality than appearance Kiss

And it doesn't even have to be a nice personality Shocked

I'm not doing too bad, considering my age and personality
Pro-freedom
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 November 20, 20:41:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

back to this theory,  which i also saw in a documentary.. there was a second part of the postulation which i dont think was provided.. forgive me if i repeat something..  that the reason for the more emotive/feminine male attraction most of the time was because your best dna contributer does not necessarily make the best child upbringer.  in this way you would have the family-father with the more feminized features bringing up a mix of his children and children sired by 'warrior donors'.  he gets his mix in because statistically hes around more often for insemination.   this makes sense when you figure the warrior-donor is always running off to battle and getting killed.   yes up to a point skill matters but with enough battles you are going to see the attrition rate.   anyway it was a point i found interesting.

This reminds me of The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper.
siggylove
Furry!
Knuckleheaded Knob

Mr Flibble's very cross

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 November 20, 20:51:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this is probably too wierd, even for this place, but I have always been more attracted by personality than appearance Kiss

I know what you mean Horanda, personality is a big factor, which is fine and not to be ignored but when meeting someone in reality there has to be an element of physical attraction, a smile or a twinkle in the eye.  In my experience, looks and personality don't necessarily go hand in hand, and there are plenty of Dorien Grays out there.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 November 20, 22:15:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why are you both hitting on Pescado? It's freaking me out.

Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 November 20, 22:42:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sim Trepie is in all my neighbour hoods too. Smiley

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
iona
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 November 21, 04:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing it's that whole anime/bishounen thing, and making sims look proper many rugged sometimes results in fugly genetics...

I fully agree with Navaya.

In Korea, most of the skin creators, like Louis at Sim Scribbling, are big fans of anime, manga and fantasy-based games.
They have practiced to draw those girly male characters since they were kids and they like the school uniforms, long-haired men, thin lips, sharp noses, etc.
I can see the result on their Self Make-up skintones and male sim hair meshes.
Do you guys remember the japanese site of The Sims, BNJ x LVR? (I don't remember the exact name of the site, but it was something like that.)
The beautiful male head skins of that site looked like girly males from anime, too.

I think this "anime & manga phenomenon" is all over Asia.
You can see it from Peggy Sims' models, Sim Scribbling's skintones, and so on.

As I don't really like japanese manga, I prefer to realistic male sims, not a pretty one.  Tongue
I hope somebody will make awesome male hairs or skintones which look more real.  Lips sealed

Sorry for my poor English.
MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 November 21, 08:22:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see the appeal of the skinny stick look. I prefer women that won't break in half when I hurl them into a wall.

indeed  !!!
i prefear to touch other than bones... and also, probably, they are too fragile for me Grin

ops... maybe i'm in late
« Last Edit: 2006 November 21, 08:30:03 by MaximilianPS » Logged
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 November 21, 12:15:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So how does this explain why I'm attracted to teeth, spinities, and angry-eyebrows?

You're not actually human? My personal believe is that you're Klingon, as well as a pirate.

Disturbing, isn't it, that rational and intelligent people can find this attractive? I am constantly amazed by my ability to hone in on the emotionally stunted/needy/controlling or plain psycho... Not that I count myself among the blessed in the IQ department (before J.M. gets in there - or others - to point out my sad and uncool lack of grey matter). Roll Eyes

As for male sims being pretty? It is useful as they are the ones who breed the best looking stock even though I don't mind a few freaks in my population as it throws in the odd spanner or two. On the whole I try to make mine homely looking anyway, as most of the general human population can hardly be said to be gorgeous. Most of us fall into the distinctly average range.

Meh...
siggylove
Furry!
Knuckleheaded Knob

Mr Flibble's very cross

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 November 21, 12:42:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why are you both hitting on Pescado? It's freaking me out.

Whos hitting on Pescado?  Not me, I'm behind you and several others for Frankenbeasley Wink

Speaking of hitting on Pescado, have you seen all the admirers over at PSMBD?  Do they have no shame?

Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 November 21, 13:34:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer women that won't break in half when I hurl them into a wall.

I always knew you were a romantic.

I'm with the guy/girl who suggested it might be because making male models more feminine makes it easier for females to relate to them. Also, the influence of anime on the gamer world is not to be underestimated.
I've got a feeling too that the applauders of the 'pretty boys' or 'girlie boys' (note that they're always called boys, not men) are mostly to be found in the age category between 12 and 15. (I've never met one over 15, at least, if I'm wrong correct me.) And around that age boys simply haven't developed the more typical male ruggedness yet.
Another reason might be that historically seen, women have always been seen as more aesthetically pleasing than men. So if you would want to create a beautiful male, it would be easier to make his features more feminine to please said aesthetic feeling.

It's quite difficult to portray 'beauty' in a bunch of pixels. Attraction for me has much more to do with how someone carries himself than pure looks. If you're confident and happy with yourself, it shows, and that sparkle has more charm than a porcelain doll does. I tend to fall for very extravert men, so I know for me that's at least a factor.
I also don't like pretty boys. I prefer my men more in the 'rugged' category. Sean Bean is really quite handsome, but my favourite 'celebrity' (can't believe I'm using that word) must be Ray Parks. Not immediately a shining example of beauty, but he's got that thing going that keeps me interested.
As a matter of fact, I vaguely recall my first movie crush being Jeff Goldblum in the first Jurassic Park. Attraction doesn't have to make sense, apparently.
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 November 21, 13:45:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a feeling too that the applauders of the 'pretty boys' or 'girlie boys' (note that they're always called boys, not men) are mostly to be found in the age category between 12 and 15. (I've never met one over 15, at least, if I'm wrong correct me.)

Well Im 19, and I wouldnt touch a "manly" man with a ten foot clown pole.
Personally I think it has to do with the degredation of the Y chromosome, or as was mentioned before: humans have been steadily evolving toward a more "feminine" state for some time

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 November 21, 14:48:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sim Trepie is in all my neighbour hoods too. Smiley

What a coincidence!  He's in all of mine too!   Shocked 
verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 November 21, 15:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a feeling too that the applauders of the 'pretty boys' or 'girlie boys' (note that they're always called boys, not men) are mostly to be found in the age category between 12 and 15. (I've never met one over 15, at least, if I'm wrong correct me.)

Well Im 19, and I wouldnt touch a "manly" man with a ten foot clown pole.
Personally I think it has to do with the degredation of the Y chromosome, or as was mentioned before: humans have been steadily evolving toward a more "feminine" state for some time

well im 50 and the only one i'd retouch was a manly man... he just had an iq of 180 or so.   he was drafted into post ww2 cleanup in the islands, you just didnt survive without becoming manly.   but i will say though i think that sadly, female is the original trait, with the y chromosome the damaged copy.  though i have never figured out how it evolved, crocodiles develop sex according to nest heat..  i dont know about all reptiles.   although susan ivanovich said it first in babylon5, i consider 'testosterone poisoning'  to be a real if untreatable condition in some men (but not all manly men).

Life is tough.
Life is Tougher if you act STUPID.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 November 21, 15:26:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

but i will say though i think that sadly, female is the original trait, with the y chromosome the damaged copy.

Yeah, I've read something like this before.  I'm a damaged and incomplete woman.   I'm so depressed now.  Cry

Where's Rippy when I need him?
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 November 21, 19:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Its not that animals who have Y chromosomes are "broken" or "incomplete", the Y chromosome evolved to cause mutation, any animals that did not evolve the Y degenerated into clones and eventually died out due to their lack of diversity, for example if all male humans in the world died out, females could technically still reproduce as between two of them they have the genetic material to make a female baby, however, mutation would not occur as easily without a Y chromosome in the population, leading to a human population that is almost genetically identical, making it extremely vulnerable to disease.
It is also a common misconception that the Y chromosome is a male trait, in birds,butterflies and some reptiles it is the female that carries the Y.
The Y chromosome also does not solely decide the sex of an embryo, for example in humans, an embryo must have the Y and activate a pair of specific genes, one to stop it from becoming female and one to make it male. if any of those elements are missing the child will grow up as female or inter-sex.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 November 21, 19:35:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Manly men, girly men, gay men... it doesn't matter. The ones that matter are the ones that you can actually have a grown-up conversation with. The ones that matter are the ones that push you to stretch your capabilities whether you want to or not. The ones that matter are the ones that make you grow and who continue to grow themselves.

All the rest are just toys.

Wink

One of my favorite books has a line that I love, "...the protective male? He is about as protective as a can opener."

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: