More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 13:56:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Is there a way to change a resource name inside SimPE?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is there a way to change a resource name inside SimPE?  (Read 2753 times)
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Is there a way to change a resource name inside SimPE?
« on: 2006 November 16, 06:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was poking around in a file created by the new BodyShop and one created by the OFB BodyShop. 

The only differences I could find was
1) the new file has a GZPS resource named CASIE_amtoptanktop_whitebasic and the old one is named amtoptanktop_whitebasic
2) That resource also contains the line name (dtString) CASIE_amtoptanktop_whitebasic

Obviously, #2 can be fixed by just editting the string... but how can the resource name be changed?

(This is somewhat to satisfy my intellectual curiosity... I've already found that the OFB BodyShop still works just fine.)
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Is there a way to change a resource name inside SimPE?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 16, 10:46:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The resources don't have an intrinsic name; for the GZPS resources, the name that appears in the resource list is taken from the value of the name property.

If the name is missing, then the resource type name (Property Set) is displayed instead.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 16, 11:07:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not a good idea to change the name of a resource that is connected to the scenegraph chain (eg textures, meshes, materials) without being fully aware of any impact on the rest of the chain.   However it's fine to change the names of resources such as string files, BHAVs BCONs, TTAB, TTAs OBJD and you can do that using the normal plugin window.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 16, 12:45:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to know so I can tell people who accidentally download Pets clothes and want to fix them to work with a non-Pets game.

Thanks for the info!

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 16, 15:53:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not a good idea to change the name of a resource that is connected to the scenegraph chain (eg textures, meshes, materials) without being fully aware of any impact on the rest of the chain.   However it's fine to change the names of resources such as string files, BHAVs BCONs, TTAB, TTAs OBJD and you can do that using the normal plugin window.

Except for BHAvs that re referenced via RTBN, right? Er, correct me if I'm wrong, cuz I thought the whole point of RTBN is that it... well... runs the tree by name. Usually, this involves, but is not limited to, BHAVs tht start with "CT -" (which I imagine stands for Call Tree? I was never sure about that). So yeh, regardless, not that you (miros that is)  had any plans to do so, but I would avoid arbitrarily renaming BHAVs unless you know what you're doin. I often barely do. Tongue

Ste

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 16, 15:58:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops yes, I forgot RTBN!   Well, I guess I only bother renaming BHAVs that are going to change significantly because I am making something different altogether, so that is not likely to upset a call.   And like you say all the Maxis ones begin "CT" so that warns you.  I have to confess I *stilll* have not managed to make a successful RTBN call!

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: