More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:08:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Binned hair - once again
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Binned hair - once again  (Read 16060 times)
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: Binned hair - once again
« Reply #25 on: 2006 November 16, 09:44:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And that's just the way I like it!  I can't stand having 3 different shades of brown in the one style!
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 November 16, 18:38:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And that's just the way I like it!  I can't stand having 3 different shades of brown in the one style!
That's another reason why I re-bin hair.  I only want one of each colour, and I want the family to match up.  Sometimes, when I find a mesh I really like, and if there are two distinclly different shades of blond, or brown, I might allow a second set of colours, but only if it is a complete set.  Very few creators ever bother with more than one shade of black, but if the mesh is worth it, I'll make it myself.
This is also the reason why I don't share my binned hairs.  Other people might not like the same shade of blond as I do best.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
pinhead
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 November 16, 20:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know how to properly bin hair =p
At the time there was no proper tool that worked with SimPE though.

That's the worst comment i ever seen.
Theo's tool is the only one that make everything right. Even Datgen have problems with gray hair.
I must say that you are brag about how much you know about properly bin hairs and nothing that you are saying is helpping.
So, please, if you know something usefull (that i doubt), try at least help the tool developers and stop with this type of attitude.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 November 16, 20:54:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry, are you delusional? Nobody asked you anything. Shut the heck up if you don't have anything to contribute.

Ask on the SimPE QA forums, or Theo himself, if the hair binning tool worked with the pre-0.60 QA releases.
pinhead
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 November 16, 21:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry, are you delusional? Nobody asked you anything. Shut the heck up if you don't have anything to contribute.

Ask on the SimPE QA forums, or Theo himself, if the hair binning tool worked with the pre-0.60 QA releases.

Be a little more polite if you can, please. Sorry if i missunderstood something. Anyway, i think you need to understand what exactly you said here: "Shut the heck up if you don't have anything to contribute".
This quote don't apply just to me. I will shut up for sure, don't worry. I was just thinking that non gratitude people have to learn how to thank and don't start brag about how much they know. So, that's exactly why i replied here, jordi.

thanks for your attention.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 November 16, 21:16:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apology accepted. And sorry for snapping at you, I'm not in a good mood and apparently quite short-tempered today.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 November 16, 21:17:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any chance the original creators might host it on their sites?  they ought to be glad to have it....  On the other hand...... they might not like it if someone put another version of their hair up for download on another site - especially if any of it is "pay" hair.  I have some space on my site at the moment - I just hesitate to offer it, if I'm likely to be public enemy number 1 of all the Sims2 hair creators!  If you're serious about the project, I think you have to talk to the hair creators before you start.  Easier to get them onside in principle, before you start messing with their stuff and upsetting them.  The other way to handle it is to talk about it all here and swap files via e-mail so that it's never actually online. 

I think everyone sorta skipped past this point when they started talking about tools and how to do it and all....

I think this is a great idea, and though I have no idea if creators would swap out their current versions for properly binned versions, it seems like it would be in their best interest to do so.  There's no reason for hairs not to be properly binned anymore with all the tools available.  Maybe someone should contact the more popular hair creators?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 November 16, 21:44:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any chance the original creators might host it on their sites?  they ought to be glad to have it....  On the other hand...... they might not like it if someone put another version of their hair up for download on another site - especially if any of it is "pay" hair.  I have some space on my site at the moment - I just hesitate to offer it, if I'm likely to be public enemy number 1 of all the Sims2 hair creators!  If you're serious about the project, I think you have to talk to the hair creators before you start.  Easier to get them onside in principle, before you start messing with their stuff and upsetting them.  The other way to handle it is to talk about it all here and swap files via e-mail so that it's never actually online. 
Hah, fat chance. There's no way you can take Public Enemy #1 away from me.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 November 16, 22:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think everyone sorta skipped past this point when they started talking about tools and how to do it and all....

I think this is a great idea, and though I have no idea if creators would swap out their current versions for properly binned versions, it seems like it would be in their best interest to do so.  There's no reason for hairs not to be properly binned anymore with all the tools available.  Maybe someone should contact the more popular hair creators?

That was the original intent, once the modding folks knew how to change the right bits.

But somehow the binning concept hasn't been caught up by most of the creators I've seen, perhaps due to ignorance of the technical details? Huh

I think the only way to get to all creators would be through MaxisEA's behalf, in the form of a functioning BodyShop program, but until now, four EP's have been released without a significant update to BodyShop. Maybe someone should prod MaxisEA in that direction?
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 November 16, 23:12:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Theo's tool made my life better.
I'm manic about sorting, and it took me two weeks to colour bin all my downloaded hairs manually using simpe the old way, before the plugin.
After the plugin I re-binned everything, and did a much better job of things, and it took me less than two days.

I don't understand why any creator would be caught dead with an unbinned hair.  My theory is that a lot of them are bodyshop people and are scared of SimPE.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 November 17, 01:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<snip>I think the only way to get to all creators would be through MaxisEA's behalf, in the form of a functioning BodyShop program, but until now, four EP's have been released without a significant update to BodyShop. Maybe someone should prod MaxisEA in that direction?

Um, please don't.  The last "improvement" to BodyShop made its output not backward compatible.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 November 17, 11:44:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok... then maybe we should also tell them what we think of this "improvement":

Grin
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 November 17, 15:56:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made a literate post on the BBS about how the EA folks could improve the game (and Bodyshop and genetically binned hair was mentioned), and then I linked it to a Maxoid who told me she'd pass it on.  I don't know how much more I can do than that.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 November 17, 20:11:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't care as much about binning hair as I do about skin.  Hair colour is easily mutable in the game.  As long as I take care to give CAS sims one of the default hairs during creation, their genes will remain perfectly consistent, no matter what I do with custom hairs.  Once in play, I can give them whatever hair style or colour I want.  It's even useful to have some custom hairs unbinned, since I can be fairly certain that a sim with that turn-on will be attracted to a playable sim.

What the game needs more are tools to manage skintones, since those are not mutable, and changing them can really bork your gene pool.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 November 18, 19:48:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, Peggy (like most hair creators) has multiple recolours for hair, and Theo's tool only allows you to pick one package per colour.

If you copy the family GUID from your first packages, and then paste it into the same field for your next group of packages, they will all be in the same family.  (this is with Theo's tool) This way, you can have as many kinds of blonde as you want, or white pink and blue all as custom hairs in one family, etc.  This is especially helpful when binning XMSims hairs.  She has so many colors, even packaging into single packs, I sometimes end up with six or seven family packages.  But for some reason I have to keep all the colors, just in case!
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 November 20, 14:21:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is especially helpful when binning XMSims hairs.  She has so many colors, even packaging into single packs, I sometimes end up with six or seven family packages.  But for some reason I have to keep all the colors, just in case!
XMsims hairs are mostly binned, but I have a tendency to disagree with their assignment of colour.  Like the fawn colour is always binned as brown, while I say it's blond (and it's usually my favourite blond), and she has some weird reads (like hot pink) which I deem to be a custom hair.
I usually bin a white custom hair to the family and use that texture for elder hair, then if I feel like having more punk colours I'll let them have their own family class and make sure they use a coloured texture for elder as well (if you have pink hair all your life you're not going to let it go grey just because you turn 65).

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 November 30, 12:18:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone who got Peggy's hair from me: I've rebinned them more properly now with Theo's tool. Will upload later today.

About the "brown blondes" or "red browns", that also irks me. I hope someone will create a hair rebinner with a preview one day (theo's is a great step in the right direction, but as it shows flat textures the exact colour can still be hard to tell in cases).
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 November 30, 14:12:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally I love the multiplicity of shades under a single designated colour. I really don't care if everything lines up in paramilitary rows and columns, I just want all the brown shades to show up under brown, all the many blondes under blonde, etc. so that I don't have page after page of "natural" custom hair. I'd like to leave that slot for green and pink, or multicoloured. Is there a way to just do that?

I should also mention, nor do I care at all when the style changes at age transition, since I make a point of doing that myself, clicking on the clothing chooser as soon as the candles are blown out on the cake. My sims change styles frequently, and often it is only meant as a temporary thing reflective of the sim's current age and aspirations. For example, I currently have one of my blonde teenagers with a long, straight black style, heavy eyeliner, bloodred lipcolour, and punk-goth clothing, reflecting her constant aspirations to sneak out, play, and miss work. She'll most likely go back to blonde when she becomes a young adult, unless she wants to party instead of study.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 December 02, 10:15:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, you can bin just one hair at a time using Theo's tool, or one hair in each color category.  But it is also not hard to copy and paste the family GUID.  Unless you have all your hairs just thrown into one big folder, like I used to do.  Then just do them one at a time.  It takes a little longer, but is SOOOO worth the effort.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: