More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 12:41:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Is there any benefit to being a doofus?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is there any benefit to being a doofus?  (Read 13058 times)
Soylent Sim
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Is there any benefit to being a doofus?
« on: 2006 November 11, 03:55:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With most traits for both sims and pets there can at least be some point seen in each end of the spectrum, but the genius-doofus spectrum seems a little silly.  I don't see any reason not to want fast learning in all my pets, so is there any counterbalancing benefit to being a doofus or is this just proof in concept that any innate "smarts" stat for a sim is a stupid idea?

Also, before I start an extensive retraining regiment, is it possible for a pet to learn the commands for both ends of learned behaviors, or are the learned behavior commands linked to the extreme scores?
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Is there any benefit to being a doofus?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 11, 03:58:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think they're one end or the other...
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 11, 04:16:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In real life, the doofus pets are often quite adorable.

ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 11, 04:27:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doofus pets in real life are to stupid to feel pain or react. They're like Bart Simpsons dog when he throws the frisbee and it hits Santa upside the head, but he doesn't react. those are the safest to kick in the head because they are already dumb as dirt; there's nothing else to lose upstairs.

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 11, 04:34:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doofus pets do funny things and have a higher entertainment value than genius pets, who are (almost) always well behaved. 

Doesn't really take that much longer to train a doofus.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 11, 15:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe the genius pets learn 25% faster than the doofus ones.  This is real noticeable in cats since they take longer to train than dogs.  Which is beginning to irritate me a little.

You could argue that dogs learning faster than cats is realistic I guess.  But I prefer to think that Maxis/EA are a bunch of KITTY HATERS!!!
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 11, 16:05:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could argue that dogs learning faster than cats is realistic I guess.

It's not that cats are slower at learning, it just takes them longer to decide to give a damn about what you're trying to teach them.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 11, 16:55:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, my cat is bloody brilliant, but we've never managed to train her to do anything specific.

Cats just don't really care what you want them to do. Only kind of training they take to on a regular basis is litterbox training.
Velax
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 11, 16:57:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And even that's only because cats like burying their crap.
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 11, 18:32:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And in real life you don't generally teach them to use the litterbox, their mom teaches them.  They see her as much more of an authority figure than you.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 11, 22:03:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And in real life you don't generally teach them to use the litterbox, their mom teaches them.  They see her as much more of an authority figure than you.

ya right, I've had to litterbox train alot of kittens Roll Eyes

Anyway, my real cats are great at training, yup they have me very well trained  Cheesy *laughs*
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 11, 23:46:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have four cats, all girls, and each of them very, very different. Two are as smart as paint (the black and white would rule the world if she had opposable thumbs), and the two tabbies are dim and really fuckin' stooopid, respectively. Stoopid girl was freaked at the pattern in my new rug because she thought it was a spider and spiders are her nemesis. Very funny to see in fact, if a bit worrisome.  Roll Eyes

Meh...
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 11, 23:52:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a sim couple who adopted a doofus cat, and she's pretty funny.  Constantly getting stoned on the catnip mouse and tear-assing around the house.  It's funny to watch...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 12, 00:51:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a sim couple who adopted a doofus cat, and she's pretty funny.  Constantly getting stoned on the catnip mouse and tear-assing around the house.  It's funny to watch...

In my test hood one house has 6 cats and 1 kitten. I really enjoy watching them running around the house and playing with each other and the toys and demanding attention from the sims.

I use christianlov's "Pets Behavior and Command Tool" so all the pets in my test hood "know the rules" and some know all the commands  Wink  although I did mess around with having my sims teach them for abit.

I will most likely continue to "teach" them via hack in my main hood since I wants pets to be an addition to my enjoyment of the game and not an annoyance. Once in a while I will allow a sim to "behavior train" them themsleves. Most "commands" will probably be taught by my sims if my sims have the time.

From what I have seen, there really isn't any difference between smart/normal/stupid pets, which is a shame really  Undecided
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 12, 02:32:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not that cats are slower at learning, it just takes them longer to decide to give a damn about what you're trying to teach them.

That's true. I've taught my cat to play fetch with a little, soft ball. She's quite happy to bring it back to me after I throw it about half a dozen times, but then she loses interest.

The thing that bothers me about cat training as far as the game goes is I thought EA could have been a little more imaginative and had different things to teach either cats or dogs and not exactly the same commands for both!

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 November 12, 02:40:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I have seen, there really isn't any difference between smart/normal/stupid pets, which is a shame really  Undecided

Honestly, I have to say that I've noticed quite a large difference between those personalities, even with my limited experience with pets. However, both pairs had one genius lazy cat while the other was a hyperactive doofus. The latter would run around completely demented while the former would just sit around most of the time.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 November 12, 04:49:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did notice a difference between hyperactive and lazy but I think genius/normal/doofus is only noticed when training.  I could be wrong of course *shrugs*
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 November 12, 05:19:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very good point to bring up...
It would have been nice had they made some silly animations for the doofuses rather than using the same animations and behaviours that all of the dogs in the game have, and just adjusting how often they do them.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 November 12, 12:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think genius cats are definitely less prone to doing anything than doofus cats. The doofus cat of one family runs around crazily all the time, which is hilarious to watch. The genius cat, on the other hand, rarely does so even though I have attempted to encourage this behavior at every opportunity. Naturally, running around crazily is hilarious.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 November 12, 14:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While we're talking about pet personalities.  Is Aggressiveness the sole determining factor in winning fights?
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 November 12, 17:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think is. I had 2 cats with the same personality (almost) except one was smarter. The smart one kicked the stupid one's butt. Then he sulked about it.

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 November 12, 20:26:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think genius cats are definitely less prone to doing anything than doofus cats. The doofus cat of one family runs around crazily all the time, which is hilarious to watch. The genius cat, on the other hand, rarely does so even though I have attempted to encourage this behavior at every opportunity. Naturally, running around crazily is hilarious.

praise the genius cat for playfulness and it will do it all the time too, mine do  Grin 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 November 12, 20:46:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I praise it for running around crazily, does that work?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 November 12, 21:28:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes, I've prasied mine for both and now I have 6 genius hyper adult cats that run around like crazy alot (the 7th is only a kitten)

Velax
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 November 13, 17:58:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I have a genius hyper cat that's always running around crazily, playing with the mouse and bird on a stick thingy and so on. I just encouraged her to be playful whenever she did it initially.

Once they reach maximum playfulness, they gain a crapload of new commands too, like "Play with other pet", "Run around crazily", "Pounce at sim" and so on. Makes getting your pets to be friends easier, because you can just get one to play with the others to get the relationship score up.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: