More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 20:46:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  IE 7.0 sucks
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: IE 7.0 sucks  (Read 35999 times)
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
Re: IE 7.0 sucks
« Reply #50 on: 2006 November 07, 18:26:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

not: obviously you don't know HTML and CSS then.

The guy who originally proposed CSS is Opera's CTO. And both Opera and Furryfox have developers who wrote the standards--standards  which the W3C, of which Microsoft is a member, has adopted.

Microsoft's is the only browser which still does not support HTML 4 (Abbr tag?) or CSS2 (generated content? proper box model?).

Don't get me wrong - IE is definitely flawed, but from a purely superficial design-oriented standpoint, pages still look best on IE (functioning properly is another story).

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 November 07, 18:33:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only real script support that Firefox lacks is Active X, which is proprietary to Microsoft and the major reason FOR your IE security holes.

I have a low opinion of those that use Active X in their sites anyways.

Edit: I have yet to come across a page that didn't display properly in Firefox.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2006 November 07, 18:35:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I turned ActiveX almost completely off in my copy of IE7.  99% of the sites show correctly.  The 1% that don't, I think about, and usually don't bother to visit them again.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006 November 07, 18:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127564/article.html
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2006 November 07, 20:37:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't get me wrong - IE is definitely flawed, but from a purely superficial design-oriented standpoint, pages still look best on IE (functioning properly is another story).

Obviously. If you design your page for IE's flaws it will only look right in IE. If, on the other hand, you write valid HTML and CSS, your page will look best in Opera, Furryfox, Safari, KDE, or any other browser which actually supports web standards.
99.9% of all pages does not validate.
WoundedImmortal
Asinine Airhead

Never injure what cannot die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 2006 November 07, 20:46:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never liked IE...Over all I am pleased with the new version of Firefox...I like the spell check feature, and I like how clicked links will open in new tabs instead of creating new windows-that way I don't need to right click and select "Open in new tab"

"Oooh, I just had one of thoes things!  You know!  Like a headache, with pictures!"

"An idea?"

<---Clicky
Vren Lyet
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006 November 07, 21:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Obviously. If you design your page for IE's flaws it will only look right in IE. If, on the other hand, you write valid HTML and CSS, your page will look best in Opera, Furryfox, Safari, KDE, or any other browser which actually supports web standards.

Truer words have never been spoken!

If you create web sites using standard CSS and XHTML you'll get crazy with IE - IE can't handle even the simplest things like the "outline" CSS property. Don't get me started!

I stopped creating web pages for money, because all my clients always wanted them to look great in IE - I simply couldn't take it anymore - always having to modify a perfect Firefox designed (standard compliant!) page to look right in IE - cause then, of course, they  looked awful in any other browser.

So, you're absolutely right: IE [insert any version number here] is like a black hole: it sucks!

Black holes suck!
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006 November 08, 01:42:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

Roll Eyes

MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 November 08, 14:56:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use both because some websites do not support Firefox.

IE7 is slow as all get out and I get debug errors a lot.  It pisses me off, but does not surprise me.

indeed my website support, FireFox, Safari, (Maybe) Opera but not IE ...
the nonstandart is IE and not Firefox Tongue

btw IE 7 is mutch more standard than IE6, now it support also Transparent PNG, while IE6 not and need a long script to fix the problem <_<

anyway IE7, like Vista, is a TustedComputing software stay away from that stuff !!!

Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 November 08, 16:34:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been looking for this for so, so long.
Gelbarc
« Reply #60 on: 2006 November 08, 20:33:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been using it for a few days with no probs. I also use Firefox, Opera and Avant on occasion. Firefox is by far the best.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 November 08, 21:53:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please don't double post, especially if the second post (which has since been deleted) is exactly the same as the first post, except in a larger font.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2006 November 08, 22:01:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado needs a few SMF mods.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 November 08, 22:25:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would totally be a mod if I could mod in haiku format exclusively.  Cheesy

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Athena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 November 08, 22:51:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Amen.  Any semi-serious web designer who tries to create HTML/XHTML and CSS compliant sites knows that IE is the absolute *worst* when it comes to handling compliancy.  There are so many "workarounds" we have to use in order to get sites to work properly in IE just because IE was so crap; hopefully with IE7, we won't need to use them anymore, but since people will be using IE6 for ages to come, we'll still need to include them anyway :/
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2006 November 09, 05:47:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having issues w/ the most recent version of Firefox. I can't seem to download from forums like MATY by opening the files. It'll always pop up w/, you have chosen to open XXX.zip, would you like to save?, and the only option is save and cancel. Does anyone know how to fix this?
photo
Knuckleheaded Knob

I has a llama.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2006 November 09, 06:16:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

mines not doing that..... i'm loving the tabs in the new explorer personally Cheesy

I'm a she.
I am teh AIDES, photo 1 & photo b.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 November 09, 06:37:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not using IE. Firefox. Furryfox. Whatever pple like to call it.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2006 November 09, 06:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're right, it's doing that to me too. Since I never open, I always save it to disk, I hadn't noticed and had to give it a test.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2006 November 09, 07:33:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't worry about it, he's officially unawesome.

Don't forget stupid!

But really, don't let computers scare you. A little looking around and a little fooling around, mixed with screaming fits of rage when you do something dumb, and you'll figure out any program.

I learned 90% of the stuff I know about computer by just looking around and figuring out how things work. But I've also had to format a computer four hours after getting it, so... Cheesy
« Last Edit: 2006 November 09, 07:40:02 by ThyGuy » Logged

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2006 November 09, 08:35:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To automatically save particular files, go to "about:config" and type in "save" in the Filter. Then change the "browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk" to something like this:

application/zip,application/x-gzip,application/x-tar,application/x-rar-compressed

Add whatever other mime types you want to automatically save as well.

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2006 November 09, 08:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having issues w/ the most recent version of Firefox. I can't seem to download from forums like MATY by opening the files. It'll always pop up w/, you have chosen to open XXX.zip, would you like to save?, and the only option is save and cancel. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Go into Tools > Options > Content. Click on "Manage...", then scroll down to ZIP. Select it, then click "Change Action...". Click on the "Open them with this application:" radio button, then browse to the .exe of your preferred archive program. Click OK.

Alternatively, do what dizzy suggested, but replace "browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk" with "browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile".

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2006 November 09, 15:08:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go into Tools > Options > Content. Click on "Manage...", then scroll down to ZIP. Select it, then click "Change Action...". Click on the "Open them with this application:" radio button, then browse to the .exe of your preferred archive program. Click OK.

Alternatively, do what dizzy suggested, but replace "browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk" with "browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile".

Weirdly enough, there's no .Zip in the list of extensions under manage. And I'd rather not turn off asking entirely. Occasionally I'd like to save Zips to disk, but w/ sims files I prefer to just open and extract. I'm really liking the updates for this version except for this annoying little tidbit.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 2006 November 10, 01:10:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I stopped creating web pages for money, because all my clients always wanted them to look great in IE - I simply couldn't take it anymore - always having to modify a perfect Firefox designed (standard compliant!) page to look right in IE - cause then, of course, they  looked awful in any other browser.

So, you're absolutely right: IE [insert any version number here] is like a black hole: it sucks!

And therein lies the rub. Alas, most people still use IE, because it comes bundled on their shiny new PCs, so if you are trying to sell a product or service via the web, your pages need to look good on IE. I hate it too, but that, unfortunately, is the situation.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2006 November 10, 15:50:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit: I have yet to come across a page that didn't display properly in Firefox.

Sunairsims doesn't, for one. (At least it doesn't for me.) I just stopped going there 'cause I hate to use IE ><
Fuzzyfox ftw.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: