More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 03:43:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Any One Else Having This Pet Problem
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Any One Else Having This Pet Problem  (Read 6019 times)
klmfrigate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Any One Else Having This Pet Problem
« on: 2006 October 29, 18:11:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1) When Pets try to use object already in use the pop up with "cancel, reset, delete" options box comes up.

2) When Pets try to relax (anywhere) the same thing happens.

I've somewhat solved this problem with making sure the pets stay busy, but, I want to focus on my sims, not my pets.  It comes up quite often because pets always seem to want to do the same thing.  If anyone knows possible hacks that could be causing this please let me know.  It's happening too much for my liking.

Thanx
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Any One Else Having This Pet Problem
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 29, 18:17:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well pets can't select anything unless you use the controlpets cheat. And if you don't want to worry about your pets but focus on your sims as you say, not sure why you bother.

That pop up for reset delete cancel comes from having debug mode on (ZOMG W00LPR0P!!!1111oneoneone) but that's not the cause of it, it's just telling you there's a problem. When you get those errors it should be generating a log file in the logs subdirectory of My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 you could try looking through that to see if the name of any object that seems to be the problem stands out or posting it here to see if anyone else knows.

It could be an object, could be a hack. It's definitely custom content because I don't get that with just the base game and the few hacks I have going.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 29, 18:20:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's odd, I always run in debug mode, and I haven't had a single error since installing Pets.  Shocked I'd look in your downloads folder, to see what hacks you may have installed that may not be compatible with Pets.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
klmfrigate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 29, 18:35:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

one more thing-I don't have OFB, do I need this for all update MATY hacks to work properly
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 29, 18:38:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In theory you shouldn't, no. Providing you are using only the ones from the Pets directory of course.

verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 30, 06:33:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i'm not having the problem either, but im running OFB.  basically, as an old OS tester,  the thing is that 99% of the testing is going to be in the most common mode.  its just a matter of limitiations of personel and time, and we know their testing pretty much sucks anyway.    in this case, with all expansions is the prime testing candidate.  im not saying you NEED the expansion, im just saying that in the long run it doesnt pay to have a less average setup.

Life is tough.
Life is Tougher if you act STUPID.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 30, 14:45:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i'm not having the problem either, but im running OFB.  basically, as an old OS tester,  the thing is that 99% of the testing is going to be in the most common mode.  its just a matter of limitiations of personel and time, and we know their testing pretty much sucks anyway.    in this case, with all expansions is the prime testing candidate.  im not saying you NEED the expansion, im just saying that in the long run it doesnt pay to have a less average setup.

I agree. Even though MaxisEA says it should be compatible and the move over the objects.package from all the prior packs plus add the new stuff, I'm still not convinced there won't be problems skipping expansions. All of the people making the hacks pretty much have all the expansions and most of the users do too, so as you said, that's the most common mode. I seriously doubt MaxisEA tested all the various combinations of having or not having episdoes and they obviously aren't going to test hacks.

It's basically a 'should work, but try at your own risk' sort of deal as far as I'm concerned.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 04, 12:36:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree. Even though MaxisEA says it should be compatible and the move over the objects.package from all the prior packs plus add the new stuff, I'm still not convinced there won't be problems skipping expansions. All of the people making the hacks pretty much have all the expansions and most of the users do too, so as you said, that's the most common mode. I seriously doubt MaxisEA tested all the various combinations of having or not having episdoes and they obviously aren't going to test hacks.

It's basically a 'should work, but try at your own risk' sort of deal as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, and if you decide to install an older expansion pack at a later time (for example, you already have OFB but later decide that you want NL too), you must first uninstall the newer EP before you can install the older one, and you *still* have to reinstall the newer one *after* installing the older one, borking your saved games (not to mention creating extra work for yourself), and losing any progress you've made thus far. I honestly don't know why anyone would want to install custom content, especially hacks, without having all of the EPs, but that's just me...

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 04, 18:19:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1) When Pets try to use object already in use the pop up with "cancel, reset, delete" options box comes up.

If you are getting this, there is obviously a bug somewhere. Most likely due to an incompatible hack. You should make sure all your hacks are up to date. And try removing or disabling any hacks that have to do with using whatever object it is that causes your pets to throw up this error. Anything that might have to do with beds or furniture or whatever. If you have any custom objects that were made prior to Pets, you should check back with the creator to see if they updated it for pets since furniture is now useable by pets for relaxing, scratching, etc.

You can also try posting error logs and maybe someone can look at it for you. But it is most likely the work of the non-awesome. Tongue

Ste

Yes, and if you decide to install an older expansion pack at a later time (for example, you already have OFB but later decide that you want NL too), you must first uninstall the newer EP before you can install the older one, and you *still* have to reinstall the newer one *after* installing the older one, borking your saved games (not to mention creating extra work for yourself), and losing any progress you've made thus far. I honestly don't know why anyone would want to install custom content, especially hacks, without having all of the EPs, but that's just me...

I believe Inge has shown that this is not true. I think other people have also stated that you do not need to install the EPs/SPs in any specific order. Obviously you need to install the base game first. But I'm pretty sure that you can install in any order. You just need the latest/most recent EP/SP disc to run the game.

Also, you should always make a backup of your Neighborhoods folder (and probably any other significant folders like Config, Downloads, SavedSims, etc.) before you start installing new EPs/SPs. Once you are done installing. You should simply be able to drop your backup into your game again. Pescado has stated that the game should be able to read older files anyway. So it will probably convert/update data as the game runs.

Ste

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 04, 19:32:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I stand corrected.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 04, 22:37:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't remember where I read it at first, but I did a search and I'm pretty sure it's this thread. I haven't tried it myself because I haven't really had to re-install. But Inge and Jordi seem trustworthy enough. Wink

Ste

Countess
theisz
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 05, 02:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just did it not too long ago.  I did it purposely to see what would happen.  I installed the games in a weird order and had no issues.  As a matter of fact I installed The Sims, then University, Glamour Life, OFB and then NL.  Even though I installed NL last I still had to use the latest EP CD which at the time was GL.  It asked for it when I tried to use the NL CD. I also installed each corisponding patch directly after each EP I loaded. 

I didn't install them with my The Sims 2 folder in place though.  I moved it prior to the installations and moved it back after running the game once.  All of my neighborhoods, CC and Sims were intact and I had no issues.  Thankfully.  Cheesy
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 05, 06:00:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that's good to know. I remember how frustrating TS1 became, having to install everything in order. At least Maxis/EA got *that* right with TS2! Wink

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 05, 06:10:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The stupid thing about TS1 is that it never really had to be in order anyway.

I know Maxis liked to say it did...  but testing showed that it didn't.  Besides, if unleashed was installed before vacation and hot date you'd end up with the lots in those subhoods being already equipped with pet stuff.

Maxis also liked to say that the source of all problems was CC, and that the way to fix everything was to uninstall, defrag, reinstall...  which was all a load of crap anyway.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 05, 13:31:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you know the saying. How do you know when a Maxian lies?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 November 05, 14:11:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My best TS1 "bad custom content" story...

My game started crashing at 6pm every Sim day.  I used the divide and conquer method to figure out what was wrong.  Turned out to be...  the Maxis cuckoo clock! 

After that, step #1 was always, Remove Maxis cuckoo clock.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: