More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 13:06:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Too many images?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Too many images?  (Read 6261 times)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Too many images?
« on: 2006 November 04, 15:22:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I installed Photoshop today, and I was excited, because of its wonderful little feature that makes the thumbnail of the picture into the icon. Having this new power, I decided to wade through all of my TS2 pictures. Unfortunately, if I enter my Storytelling folder, explorer crashes. I can enter it if I set .jpgs to be used by Microsoft Photo Editor, which doesn't conjure up thumbnails. Would this be caused because my compy isn't good enough to call up that many images at once?
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Too many images?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 04, 15:50:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's weird.  It should slowly make the replacement icons one by one.  Kind of neat watching the icons "flip."
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 04, 15:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Photoshop is a resource hog, that's a given.

What operating system are you using? I am running XP, and I have thumbnails in windows explorer under my view options.  Just select "view: thumbnails" and boom there they are.  My JPG's are set to open with windows picture and fax viewer, it's quick and easy if I want to see something larger, or else a simple right click and open with opens with whatever program I select.  I don't let photoshop or any other editing program have access to JPG's by default because they are such resource hogs.

Just how many photos do you have in your folder anyway?

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 04, 15:59:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The window tells me I have over 600 pictures.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 04, 18:50:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay 600 photos isn't bad in my opinion, you should be able to handle that without difficulty, especially at the sizes the game takes photos.  They aren't that big of files.  I have over 1000 in my largest neighborhood and no lag of any kind when making thumbnails and I don't have ye uber computer Tongue lol  Just middle-of-the road I'd say. 

Are you running XP? And if so have you tried setting it to open with windows picture and fax viewer like I described to see if that opens them ok?

Opening thumbnails from within Photoshop via their file browser option is a nightmare for me, if that's how you're going about it.  Not from the standard "open" and searching for the file, but from their own funky file browser thingy.  It takes forever for the photoshop program to build the thumbnails.  If that's how you're doing it, then it doesn't surprise me to hear that it's crashing. 

I'd recommend at any rate not to use the Photoshop in-program file-browser option and instead go thru windows explorer thumbnail viewer options as I've already described.  It's faster and way more efficient.  A simple right click and open with will launch Photoshop for you anyway if it's not already open. 

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 05, 05:01:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Windows 2000. If they are associated with any program that does not use thumbnails as the icon, then I can open the folder just fine.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 05, 13:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, this went from bad to worse. Now explorer seems to crash at random times. Should I just uninstall this thing all toghether?

I really need a new computer.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 05, 14:03:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd uninstall it to get all the associations back to what they were before, then reinstall it and not associate any file extensions with it.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 05, 14:25:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Should I even reinstall it? My guess is that it is causing explorer to crash, though I would need someone more awesome than me in order to confirm that.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 05, 14:37:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How much room do you have left on your hard drive that is running Photoshop? Photoshop needs a rather large area on the disk in order to use that for a swap file, and if you're running out of hard drive space, that may cause issues.  It's possible to set the scratch disk to a secondary hard drive in the Photoshop options, but of course that requires a second hard drive. 

Like I said, it's a resource hog...lol.

Unfortunately I know nothing of W2K. 

If you do uninstall it, and reinstall it, your option of course is to not tell it during setup to do any of the associated file extensions.  I would recommend however letting it open the propriatary file extension format .psd by default, that one should be safe.  Unless you are planning on doing a lot of work with layers, you won't be saving a lot of files in this format anyway. 

I do hope you get it sorted.  Despite the fact that it's a resource hog, Photoshop remains a most excellent and useful image editing and creation program.

Good luck!

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 05, 14:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect it's PhotoShop interacting with something else on your system and that something else is the root cause.  I'll post links to the PhotoShop Yahoo! groups I belong to (and never heard of this on any of them).
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 05, 16:01:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My C: drive is kind of full. Should I foist upon my E: drive instead? That won't cause any ill efects, will it?
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 05, 16:16:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would if I were you.  And make sure your scratch disk settings in Photoshop are set to the E drive as well. 

I don't see that it could make matters worse at this point.  It's already not playing nice. 

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 05, 16:25:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Call me dumb, but how do I get to scratch disk settings?
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 05, 17:02:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm running Photoshop 7 (yeah a lil behind) and it's located under Edit: Preferences: Plugin & Scratch Disks.  Tweaking this will help when you are actually using Photoshop. 

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 November 05, 17:10:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

7, huh? Small world.  Tongue
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 November 05, 19:56:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My C: drive is kind of full. Should I foist upon my E: drive instead? That won't cause any ill efects, will it?

Do you still have My Documents on C? That can be moved too...
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 November 05, 20:38:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't want to move that folder. I have far too many shortcuts pointing there, and programs running from a directory in there. I don't feel like redirecting all those shortcuts and programs.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: