More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:46:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  The Armory
| | |-+  The Scrapyard
| | | |-+  Engagement Want Fix
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Engagement Want Fix  (Read 30393 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Engagement Want Fix
« on: 2006 November 04, 04:58:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, we've always wondered why this want showed up in strange times to inappropriately unavailable sims, but apparently, after finally reviewing the code, it's completely borked in ways that make absolutely no sense, and we're honestly not sure why Maxis wasted twice the CPU time necessary on something that doesn't work anyway! In fact, we weren't entirely sure what it was trying to do at all.

This item is discontinued and merged with wfsanity.

Engagement Want Fix for TS2U - TS2PETSp0
Made by: Flying Fish Systems (J. M. Pescado & Doctor Boris)

Special Thanks To:
Hobbsee the Scrawny Pencil Neck
Fat, Hairy-Bellied Ness

Congratulations to: Draklixa!

INSTRUCTIONS:
Place in your MYDOCU~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~1\DOWNLO~1 directory.

FEATURES:
"Get Engaged" want no longer shows up to inappropriate people, such as people
who are ALREADY MARRIED OR ENGAGED. We have no idea what the hell Maxis was
trying to code, it was completely broken.

COMPATIBILITY:
Compatible with all FFS hacks. For all versions as of TS2PETSp0.

SIDE EFFECTS:
May cause computer damage, incontinence, explosion of user's head, coma, death,
and/or halitosis.

WARNING:
Do not open, crush, dispose of in fire, put in backwards, short-circuit, or mix
with non-awesome hacks - may explode, leak, or catch fire, resulting in injury
and/or death.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 16, 16:52:08 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
Re: Engagement Want Fix
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 04, 07:19:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shiny!

An annoyance indeed, glad to see it fixed!
joe_mulcahy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 04, 08:32:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Brilliant work!  I've always pondered the strangeness of the engagement want myself.  Thank you for creating this fix.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 04, 11:43:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's see if I can figure this out...

Code:
# Group = 0x7F739728, Instance = 0x102C
# Title = CT - Test - Engagement
#
# Format = 0x8007, Params = 6, Locals = 0
# Tree type = 0x0, Header flag = 0x0, Tree version = 0xFFFF800F (-32753)

0: .Rel - Egagement & Marriage - to Anyone?(Param 0, 0, 1); true: false, false: 1
     1: Param 3 == 0; true: 5, false: 3
     2: .Rel - Romance Capable?(Param 0, Param 3); true: 4, false: false
     3: .Alive & Eligible?(Param 3); true: 2, false: false
     4: .Rel - Engagement & Marriage - To Sim(Param 0, Param 3, 1, 1); true: false, false: true
     5: .Rel - Egagement & Marriage - to Anyone?(Param 0, 1, 0); true: false, false: true

Line 0: if sim is married, deny want
Line 1: if want is generic type, skip to line 5
Line 2: if sims aren't capable, deny
Line 3: if target isn't alive and eligible, deny
Line 4: if sim and target are engaged or married, deny
Line 5: if sim is engaged, deny

That about right? Looks fine to me.  Undecided

EDIT: I think an issue would be having a specific engagement want while the sim is engaged to someone other than the target, but I don't see anything else.  Tongue

EDIT #2: Wouldn't the fix kill multiple specific engagement fears for romance sims?
« Last Edit: 2006 November 04, 12:19:00 by dizzy » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 04, 13:18:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That about right? Looks fine to me.  Undecided

EDIT: I think an issue would be having a specific engagement want while the sim is engaged to someone other than the target, but I don't see anything else.  Tongue
That is indeed one of the problems. You've also misread the additional code, which allows a sim already married to still want an engagement to some other sim.

EDIT #2: Wouldn't the fix kill multiple specific engagement fears for romance sims?
Muh-what? This fix prevents a sim from wanting or fearing an engagement when such a condition is presently impossible. A sim can fear or want engagements if he doesn't already have an overlapping condition. So if a sim is already engaged/married, it's too late to worry about that, since it's not possible to be engaged to more than one sim. If the target is already engaged or married, it is similarly impossible for this outcome to occur. If a sim is not engaged or married, he can be concerned or desire engagement to someone who also isn't, but not someone who is, because this is impossible.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 04, 15:32:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This will definitely come in handy with TJ's ACR, since some sims (especially family sims) get the stupid want to get engaged to everyone they boff  casually, regardless of if the person is available.  It's about as useless as the fear of falling out of love with a dead person...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 04, 15:40:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So this will keep Brandi Broke from wanting to be engaged to Don Lothario while he's engaged to Cassandra Goth?
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 04, 17:37:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Muh-what? This fix prevents a sim from wanting or fearing an engagement when such a condition is presently impossible. A sim can fear or want engagements if he doesn't already have an overlapping condition. So if a sim is already engaged/married, it's too late to worry about that, since it's not possible to be engaged to more than one sim. If the target is already engaged or married, it is similarly impossible for this outcome to occur. If a sim is not engaged or married, he can be concerned or desire engagement to someone who also isn't, but not someone who is, because this is impossible.

Huh  Angry  Tongue

Well, suffice it to say that this for sure fixes an issue of some kind (probably another design screw up).

trudy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 06, 12:32:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, if my sim wants to be engaged to someone already married, isnīt he saing he wants them to break up, so he can marry his love? Not so unrealistic I would say ;-p
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 06, 14:12:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you ignore the essentially random nature of the want, and the fact that the code is clearly broken, and the fact that the option to do it simply doesn't exist, which puts it out of character with existing coded behaviors...

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 06, 14:34:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, there's no option to break them  up, but you can set it up easy enough...

Invite the current fiancee.
Invite the "want to be engaged to" Sim.
Greet and Socialize->Romantic with the fiancee.
(A good round of slapping, poking, and shoving should ensue.)

Use phonehack to be sure you're friends with the Sim again.
Repeat with reversed players.
trudy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 07, 15:28:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there is no wish for "my love gets a devorce so i can marry her" this is the next best thing. Have not realy apeared random to me. Somethimes they want to be engaged to sims already married, but hey, you can wish ;-)
But u are right, normaly they donīt wish for things not possible at the moment.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 December 09, 20:30:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there is no wish for "my love gets a devorce so i can marry her" this is the next best thing. Have not realy apeared random to me. Somethimes they want to be engaged to sims already married, but hey, you can wish ;-)
But u are right, normaly they donīt wish for things not possible at the moment.

of course they do. Never seen a doting father wish his kid could be an overacheiver when the teen is failing out of school, has no job, and is 1 day from adulthood?

INFP or something
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 December 09, 20:33:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's still possible if you splurge for Elixor of Life.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 December 09, 21:08:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh yeah, heh, you're right. (usually if my sims are failing out of school, it's because i'm doing some stupid challenge and can't be bothered about it, and either they're in asp. failure or elixir is banned). well.. there's always knowledge sims with their implausible wants, like becoming a werewolf without having met the leader of the pack (I don't think), or the eternal saved from death want when they've no friends or family living with them.

INFP or something
trudy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 December 10, 13:08:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well in that case, to get married is also posible. The other couple just has to brake up ;-)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 December 10, 13:24:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh yeah, heh, you're right. (usually if my sims are failing out of school, it's because i'm doing some stupid challenge and can't be bothered about it, and either they're in asp. failure or elixir is banned). well.. there's always knowledge sims with their implausible wants, like becoming a werewolf without having met the leader of the pack (I don't think), or the eternal saved from death want when they've no friends or family living with them.
Well, becoming a werewolf can be trivial if someone in the neighborhood already is a werewolf, since a werewolf may "Savage" anyone without prior warning at all.

The "Saved From Death" want has received the axe in my game. I may eventually release this, as a general "want and fear sanity pack", if there's enough demand for it, but it's one of those cumbersome combohacks and does not play well with others.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 December 10, 13:38:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are there relationship limitations on Savage? I can't get my werewolf dad to savage his teen kids.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 December 13, 08:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are there relationship limitations on Savage? I can't get my werewolf dad to savage his teen kids.
I think it's an adult/teen thing. Adults and teens are often not allowed to interact in certain ways.

spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 December 13, 09:37:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, only teen werewolves can savage teens, for some reason.
Im pretty sure it works between adults and elders though

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 December 13, 09:42:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Must be an animations issue again. Hack want!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 December 13, 09:44:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not an animations issue, it's a test lockout. The animations work fine, as seen in Zombie Apocalypse, but werewolf-savage is intentionally locked out of being teen-to-adult capable.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 December 13, 10:06:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Silly MaxisEA again. They don't seem to like teens much.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 December 13, 10:08:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Honestly, who does? I hate little 12 year olds too.

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006 December 13, 10:32:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it implied that savaging has some kind of sexual connotation to it? Does the animation appear sexual? Huh How odd...

Ste

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: