More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 13:47:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Caps Lock acting as Alt-F4
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Caps Lock acting as Alt-F4  (Read 2680 times)
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
Caps Lock acting as Alt-F4
« on: 2006 November 01, 21:28:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As you can probably tell from the topic title, my keyboard's Caps Lock button keeps acting as the Alt-F4 button combo. This affects all applications, and is extremely annoying, as I normally prefer to use the Caps Lock button over the Shift key. My keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Photo Keyboard, and I've already tried restoring it to the default settings. Anyone have any advice?

EDIT: After a stupid attempt to fix the problem (by pulling the wireless reciever out of the PS/2 port), which caused my PC to lock up, and a restart, it now works properly. Seeing as how this is the third time this has happened, I'm going to guess it's a fault in the keyboard itself. I'm looking for updated drivers now.
« Last Edit: 2006 November 01, 22:07:28 by Venusy » Logged

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Countess
theisz
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Caps Lock acting as Alt-F4
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 01, 22:02:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds like your caps lock key has been remapped.  Have you recently scanned for viruses?  I have heard that there are Trojans that can do this, but I cannot seem to find out for sure if this is true.

Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 02, 15:18:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that happen to me two days ago with my USB keyboard. It kept changing all the keys and opening the "search for files and folders", minimizing my game, muting the sound, killed all my hotkeys for my media player. It ended up being an undetectable trojan packed in a .rar file located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data called "Tray Shim Bore Idle.rar" That has 2 .exe files in it, but I can't remember the name (I think one was called bleh 32.exe). There was also a Tray Shim Bore folder in my user account's Application Data folder. You have to have hidden/system files showing to find them. Deleting those (if you do have them) and running a registry cleaner should fix it. It is also posible they could be named something else. Good luck with it Smiley
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 03, 16:30:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wireless keyboards tend to get strange ideas some times.
Mine sometimes thinks it has the shift (or maybe it's the Ctrl) key stuck, causing all kinds of weirdness when I try to click on icons.  I can usually get out of that by hammering said keys a few times, even though they are not physically stuck.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: