More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:59:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Pet genetics screwed up?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pet genetics screwed up?  (Read 13140 times)
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Pet genetics screwed up?
« Reply #25 on: 2006 October 29, 13:52:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bottom line, I'm not sure whether they programmed some recessive-floppy genes in the base breeds of some dogs, etc, but it's stupid, it's broken and it sucks.

The guide has a full chapter titled Pet Birth and Genetics which includes a discussion on eggs and genomes [which the sheep will probably think is a new breakfast dish].

The pet genome contains six inheritable traits: coat, eye color, body size (dogs only), tails and ears, body and face shape, and personality. 

Per the guide, tails and ears are drawn from either parent's expressed or recessive tail/ear traits, "but expressed traits are more likely than recessive traits to be chosen. The odds of getting one parent's tail or ears over the other is an even split."

LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 October 29, 14:47:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well,  I was very disappointed because I thought they inherited the parents coats.  But my Red mother dog and my blue father dog had pups and they both turned out black.   What's up with that???

so, I adopted them out, I would have killed them but I havn't figured out how to do that yet.  I am a meanie.   lol
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 October 29, 14:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's cruel. Murdering puppies just for being the wrong color? I suspect that, like sim-babies, they don't take on full coloration until adulthood.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 October 29, 15:23:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, they don't show their true colors until they're adults...

I adopted a black puppy that grew up to be a very pretty gray.  Tara Kat's kitten changes colors when it grows up, too.
PlickaPlicka
Blathering Buffoon

Bow before my invincible powers!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 October 29, 15:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I may go back to talking about puppies ears...

I created two completely identical (everything the same, apart from the gender) Golden Retrievers. They had four little Golden Retriever puppies. When the puppies grew up they had the biggest and pointiest ears I have ever seen. The parents both had Floppy ears.

Pet genes are definitely busted.

Jack
« Last Edit: 2006 October 30, 21:17:44 by PlickaPlicka » Logged

Hush My Sweet Keyboard and Mouse, Everything Is Looking Up From Here.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 October 29, 16:36:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The genetics of CAS Sims have always been flaky and unpredictable.  I don't see why CAP pets should be any different.  You have no way to know what the recessive genes are, and without knowing that, you can't really predict how the offspring will turn out. 

Having said that:  I hope there will be a way in SimPE to change the DNA of pets the way you can with Sims, so that we can at least prevent the wrong ear type from being passed down to future generations (and correct the problem in individual dogs' character files if necessary).

Karen
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 October 29, 19:47:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This will add nothing to the conversation, just a little rant for the morning...  what's with the sudden rash of people not being able to tell the difference between definitely and defiantly?  I'm seeing it everywhere all of a sudden.

* ness is wearing her cranky pants this morning...
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 October 29, 20:20:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My personal pet peeve is "rediculous" (and woe to anyone here who says not in jest but totally serious by the way  Angry)

I've seen that for years and it still drives me up the wall!

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 October 29, 22:26:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey Motoki - gotta love that were-nanny!   Grin  I should have known you'd come up with that sooner or later.  But wouldn't you think it would be sort of a career-limiting move for her?  I mean, come on, what kind of parents are going to put their defenseless little babies in the hands of a were-nanny? 
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 October 29, 22:37:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah yes, but she only changes at night, so the ones with the day jobs don't know. Wink

And she works out a heck of a lot better than the vampire nanny I tried who ran away as soon as she stepped out of the van.  Cheesy

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 October 29, 22:39:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My personal pet peeve is seperate instead of separate!!

Geez didn't your teacher ever tell you the word has 'a rat' in it?  Cheesy

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
weiwuwei
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 October 30, 03:12:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Although it kills the organized and rational part of my brain to add to the off-thread-topic chat, I have to add this: since moving to SC from OH 10 years ago, I've noticed that people down here, instead of saying "I have been poor since I was 5 years old" they say "I have been poor since I'm 5 years old."  The grammar down here, man.....nonexistant.  Ohio's public school system puts SC's to shame.  It makes SC look like Namibia, with no cute babies for Brangelina to adopt, just ugly inbred ones.  I have more teeth in my head than some entire towns in this state.

Heh heh heh.
verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 October 30, 07:07:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the problem with separate is that it is pronounced seperate or.. sepurate, but much closer to seperate  then separate.   i didnt realize how screwed up english was until i learned some spanish, where every word is pronounced EXACTLY how it is spelled.  i've read letters from mexico for coworkers who know home-spanish, but never learned to read or write in it.  i can sit there and read for pages with no real idea what im reading, but it comes out perfect to the ear.  now that is the way a language is supposed to work.  egyptian hieroglyphics are easier then english....

Life is tough.
Life is Tougher if you act STUPID.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 October 30, 12:33:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Although it kills the organized and rational part of my brain to add to the off-thread-topic chat, I have to add this: since moving to SC from OH 10 years ago, I've noticed that people down here, instead of saying "I have been poor since I was 5 years old" they say "I have been poor since I'm 5 years old."  The grammar down here, man.....nonexistant.  Ohio's public school system puts SC's to shame.  It makes SC look like Namibia, with no cute babies for Brangelina to adopt, just ugly inbred ones.  I have more teeth in my head than some entire towns in this state.

Heh heh heh.

I usedtacould use good grammar.  But then I moved to the south.  I might could regain it again if I had to though.   Wink

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Countess
theisz
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 October 30, 13:59:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh heh heh.

I totally know where you are coming from.  I lived in Spartanburg, SC for a year and was simply dumbfounded by the idiots there.  It wasn't just some of the folks, it was all of them.  Of course there were a lot of folks, "keeping it in the family" there too.  Huh

I also lived next door to a red robed member of the KKK.  I was very excited to leave SC.  You could not pay me to ever live there again. I'll stick with redneck Virginia.
Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 October 30, 20:29:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I knew my sister had lived in the South for too long when she wrote "y'all" in a letter.

I am sorry to say I have nothing to add to the original discussion.  I've been concentrating on getting a sim financially ready to devote all of her attention to fully training dogs (maybe cats later) and just had her adopt her first puppy.  Once I have had a chance to breed, I may have more of relevance to add. (But probably not)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: