More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 01:41:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Virus at Simchic - enter at your own risk
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Virus at Simchic - enter at your own risk  (Read 14105 times)
crechebaby
Re: Virus at Simchic - enter at your own risk
« Reply #25 on: 2006 October 30, 08:37:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi, everyone.
Just a quick update--tech support has been able to resolve the security issue we were struggling with, and it is now safe to visit once again. Thanks for being so patient, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

While talking with tech support they mentioned that there is A LOT of this going around right now, and a great deal of totally legitimate sites have been infected--so make sure your virus protection software is up to date. This is the only way to be 99.999999% protected!

Thanks again for your emails and concern. I'm so relieved to have this cleaned up and taken care of.
Lady Moiraine
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2006 October 30, 13:54:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While talking with tech support they mentioned that there is A LOT of this going around right now, and a great deal of totally legitimate sites have been infected--so make sure your virus protection software is up to date. This is the only way to be 99.999999% protected!

Who is your host?  I remember about a year ago, IPower had a trojan on their server and was spreading the virus through all their sites on that server, my site happened to be on that server also, it was a nightmare trying to get them to realize the virus was actually coming from them.   Angry  I tried to call tech and there was like an hour wait to get through on the phone--I waited.

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 November 01, 15:32:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi, everyone.
Just a quick update--tech support has been able to resolve the security issue we were struggling with, and it is now safe to visit once again. Thanks for being so patient, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks again for your emails and concern. I'm so relieved to have this cleaned up and taken care of.

Well, your canned message is here too, so I might as well reply here as well.

First, what is a "legitimate" site?  Is it one that takes your money in exchange for a service?  Because that's you.  Or is it one that will actually take their virus-infected site offline while repairs are being made, so as to make sure their paying customers don't actually have to end up reformatting their entire computer, losing everything in the process?  Cuz I guess if that's what you mean, well, you're right. You're not a legitimate site.  And if you really did thank people for their emails, then you'd actually reply to them, wouldn't you?
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 November 01, 16:05:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's coming from a trojan on the server, even putting up a "site closed due to virus" front page isn't going to do much... that page will quickly get infected and even visiting it will get you infected, so you might as well download! 

Additionally, TSR has quite a few direct links into simchic for meshes... so they'd have to redirect all traffic to the "site closed" page.  That's not a minor job for a not-super-technical webmaster!
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 November 01, 17:47:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But if you just take the entire site offline, that would do the trick, wouldn't it? I'd think taking a site offline to prevent infection would be more important than letting pple know that the site is down for repairs.
Elven Ranger
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 November 01, 18:40:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bleh!!!
I just deleted the bloody link to her site ... The fact its virused ans STILL UP (or was at the time) tell's me EVERYTHING I need to know! Roll Eyes

WARNING:<br />I have dyslexia, so please excuse my crappy spelling & punctuation Smiley
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 November 01, 18:57:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait, so the viruses are still there?
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 November 02, 01:35:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But if you just take the entire site offline, that would do the trick, wouldn't it? I'd think taking a site offline to prevent infection would be more important than letting pple know that the site is down for repairs.

Yes, you can brute force move your pages to a subdirectory or delete them.  Again, the webmaster may not have the skills or experience to know how to do that.  They also may not have a clean copy on their pc to restore from, so they're going to have to do a page by page cleanup.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 November 02, 01:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what you get for hosting on a WINDOZE server.

* J. M. Pescado spittoo.

WINDOZE IS NOT FOR SERVERS!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 November 02, 01:39:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Especially if Front Page Extensions are turned on.  Might as well hang up a sign that says "Come hack my server."
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: