More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 04:47:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Really huge lot file
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Really huge lot file  (Read 4561 times)
adriennelisa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Really huge lot file
« on: 2006 October 29, 02:42:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Uni installed, but I am playing on the base game.  I play one lot the most (3 re-marriages, 7 kids have passed thru to Uni and 2 ghost), because I love the house.  The problem is that the lot file size is now 8 MB. (Most of the other ones are 1-2MB).  How do I keep the lot usable, because it is slowing down my game way too much?  (And before you ask, I just bought a new video card a month ago and the game worked perfectly after it was installed).  Any suggestions would be helpful.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Really huge lot file
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 29, 02:54:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is your lot full of paintings, particularly custom paintings, or photographs? Those will bloat lot sizes.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
adriennelisa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 29, 02:58:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No custom paintings, just the ones that come with the game.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 29, 10:09:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The actual lot filesize really shouldn't matter unless you are sharing the lot. I'm assuming you've got a lot of custom content for the file size to be that big though.

Now if your game is slowing down on this lot, you probably want to look at some of the stuff on the lot. Honestly, you may need to delete some stuff from the house. Some custom content creators really aren't concerned about polygon counts and making their items as streamlined as possible for the sake of the game engine either so that's something to be aware of. Some of the Maxis stuff can even get a little high in the poly counts sometimes, but nothing anwhere near as high as some of the insane counts I've seen from items in the community.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
adriennelisa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 29, 14:06:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The actual lot filesize really shouldn't matter unless you are sharing the lot. I'm assuming you've got a lot of custom content for the file size to be that big though.
If by "sharing the lot" you mean uploading it for others to use, then no, I don't have any intention of doing that.

Now if your game is slowing down on this lot, you probably want to look at some of the stuff on the lot...Some of the Maxis stuff can even get a little high in the poly counts sometimes...
How do I find that out?
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 29, 14:22:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of the Maxis stuff can even get a little high in the poly counts sometimes, but nothing anwhere near as high as some of the insane counts I've seen from items in the community.

I have to say that I've seen some truly disturbing poly counts for Maxis items. I came across it purely by mistake, but I believe a rather puny trashcan ended up having somewhere around 12,000.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 29, 14:28:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a thread about the poly counts here:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,2216.0.html

There's really no easy, reliable was to mass scan objects for their counts that I am aware of, though you can check them one by one in SimPE. Honestly though, it's best to stick with getting you custom content from reliable sources who consistanly make their content with reasonable poly counts and preferably give the numbers out on their sites. Some people were good about doing that for a while, but a lot are starting to get lazy about it again. :p

Flamingo, I didn't realize that about the Maxis trash can. That's bad. Tongue There's no excuse for it either, it's not that complex of a shape that they couldn't drastically reduce that number. I can though that I've never seen the Maxis stuff hit the 50k+ mark like I have with some custom stuff in the past.  Shocked

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: