More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:47:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Testers Wanted: Pets Custom Content Updater Program!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Testers Wanted: Pets Custom Content Updater Program!  (Read 85303 times)
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
Testers Wanted: Pets Custom Content Updater Program!
« on: 2006 October 25, 00:25:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello everyone! Smiley

I've been working on it for only a short time compared to my other programs, but I believe this is finally ready for testing by the masses! Smiley

Here's a screenshot: http://images.djssims.com/djspetsccupdater.JPG

It's a relatively simple process: First, load a directory with the directory box on the left, and click the "Pick Selected Directory" button. After it's finished sorting through and leaving only objects in the list, you can then double click an item in the list to see it's description and name and such.

If you decide that it is an object you want to edit and make compatible, click the button that looks like a hand with a pencil next to the Step 4 label.

Then, choose what type of object it is from the list, and save! That's it! That piece of custom content will now work with pets.

NOTE: Please back up your custom content before editing it with this tool! While this tool was very thoroughly tested, it would be best for you to have a backup as a precaution. Feel free to delete the backups after you verify that the edited files are working fine.

WARNING: Objects updated with this tool will NOT work with previous versions of the game. (If you use an updated object in a previous version of the game, it will cause the game to CRASH.) Objects that you update with the wrong category will also likely cause strange behaviors or crashes as well, so use at your own risk! As a rule of thumb, however, you should only use this on objects that you know you'll pick the right category for.

Download: http://www.djssims.com/index.php?id=346
« Last Edit: 2006 October 31, 03:39:02 by jfade » Logged

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Testers Wanted: Pets Custom Content Updater Program!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 25, 04:26:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

guess I'll be a womrat and test this out.  Backed up all my stuff and away we go. One question though when editing an object, what difference does it make when selecting cheap/moderate/expensive? Is it really important in how the object is interacted with or something?
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 25, 05:04:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps it effects how durable it is, ie how much chewing/scratching it can withstandbefore it is ruined.

Oh and Jfade thanks so much for this! Smiley Definitely going to try it out.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 25, 05:06:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps it effects how durable it is, ie how much chewing/scratching it can withstandbefore it is ruined.

That was my thought, but wasn't sure. Now to figure out what classifies as each price range... ah well a job for tomorrow I guess.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 25, 05:08:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

guess I'll be a womrat and test this out.  Backed up all my stuff and away we go. One question though when editing an object, what difference does it make when selecting cheap/moderate/expensive? Is it really important in how the object is interacted with or something?
Cheap/Moderate/Expensive tends to mean that there is a standard Maxis "cheap/moderate/expensive" item. There may not be any difference, but that's probably where it will pull the TTAB from, which can affect how the item will be advertised.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 25, 12:13:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheap/Moderate/Expensive tends to mean that there is a standard Maxis "cheap/moderate/expensive" item. There may not be any difference, but that's probably where it will pull the TTAB from, which can affect how the item will be advertised.
Exactly, it's really just about advertising, since a more expensive item should be more comfortable, it should advertise higher than something that is cheap. It's really up to you to decide what's cheap, moderate, and expensive, but if you want to go by Maxis standards, just see what's most expensive and what's cheapest in any given category and judge from there. Smiley

LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 25, 15:59:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Edit: Just a note, were bathtubs forgotten? Am I blind and just can't see them in the list or is it possible they can't be fixed? I'm really hoping I can use my custom tubs to wash dogs cause the maxis ones aren't really that good.
« Last Edit: 2006 October 25, 20:04:46 by JadeInsane » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 26, 14:17:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay I finally got to try this. Used it on the GLS Best Buy bonus pre-order TV. It didn't seem to work though because the pets still can't watch tv on it. When I turn the controlpets cheat on they get no options still. The only option I can get them to do on it is force error in debug mode.

jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 October 26, 14:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I have that same TV, I'll try it out on it when I get home. You know though, I'm wondering if the package is compressed? I can't remember if I made it handle compressed packages or not, since custom object meshes are rarely, if ever, compressed. Though now that I think about it, most Maxis CC from the official site is compressed..

I'll check and see what I did when I get home, and fix whatever's broken. Smiley

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 October 26, 14:49:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very cool jffade. This will ease the pain once I do decide to go for Pets.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 October 26, 15:29:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering what would be involved in this sort of project... thanks for this utility!
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 October 26, 16:19:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I have that same TV, I'll try it out on it when I get home. You know though, I'm wondering if the package is compressed? I can't remember if I made it handle compressed packages or not, since custom object meshes are rarely, if ever, compressed. Though now that I think about it, most Maxis CC from the official site is compressed..

I'll check and see what I did when I get home, and fix whatever's broken. Smiley

It might be. Also there are two files. One is the actual object and I forget what the other one is and now I'm at work and can't look, but your program only detected the one with the actual object. It didn't seem to find the price either if that makes any difference. Not sure if I should have manually entered it or not, but the price was still there in the game when I ran it with the modified tv. It worked just fine, only the pets couldn't watch.

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 October 26, 17:00:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does the file save the unmodified object in a .bak file?  That would help protect people from themselves.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 October 26, 17:03:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It currently doesn't so make sure you make backups of your files before you run the program on it.

jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 October 27, 02:20:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shiny new version in the first post! This one supports any objects that are compressed. This includes, most notably, preorder bonus items, stuff from the official site, as well as any other custom objects that are compressed (though the GREAT majority are not.)

So, provided that the new version goes well, I'll probably release this publicly tomorrow. Smiley

LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 October 27, 02:54:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shiny! But is it me or do bathtubs not need to be updated? I feel stupid if I'm going on about this and they don't.  Sad
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 October 27, 03:02:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, sorry about that, I forgot to reply! Yes, they do need updated, but since they added new joints and stuff for pet animations and the like, Tubs need recloned to be fixed. Smiley

Sorry for missing it, I totally spaced and thought I answered here, but that must've been at the other forum where this is being tested that I replied to that. Smiley

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 October 28, 18:11:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well it worked on the Maxis Nikko Lounge chair by MaxoidMonkey and it worked on a custom chair (Windkeeper's single tile Merrokan chair) but I still can't seem to get it to work for the GLS tv. Sad

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 October 28, 18:13:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Next bright idea...

Could you add the ability to "OFB-ize" refrigerators and stoves?
LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 October 28, 18:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Next bright idea...

Could you add the ability to "OFB-ize" refrigerators and stoves?

And computers! but I'm content with what I have right now. (unless someone can tell me how to do this myself in simPE?)
LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 October 28, 18:31:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well it worked on the Maxis Nikko Lounge chair by MaxoidMonkey and it worked on a custom chair (Windkeeper's single tile Merrokan chair) but I still can't seem to get it to work for the GLS tv. Sad

I couldn't get it working on the tv either. I tried to use it in my sims house and there were no options for it at all. My sims couldn't watch it never mind the pets.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 October 28, 23:03:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh I might suggest to update both packages for it to work I guess?

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 October 28, 23:05:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The second file doesn't really look like much though. Just a bunch of material overrides for the various recolors of the tv.

Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 October 28, 23:10:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Roll Eyes well u might still need to update them. try that and see if it works?

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 October 28, 23:12:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you managed to update the GLS furniture yet, Motoki? I'm not sure where to go to do that, don't really feel like buggering up my game more than it already is...  Undecided
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: