More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 19:23:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  System shuts down
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: System shuts down  (Read 3918 times)
Kitte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
System shuts down
« on: 2006 October 23, 17:09:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've looked through this forum for help on this, but haven't been able to resolve my issue.  I have all SIMS 2 expansions up through Glamour Life (haven't installed Pet expansion).  I have an Alienware PC with 2 gigs of RAM, ATI Radeon X800 XT series video card and Creative Audigy sound card.

My system shuts down (requiring turning off and on at the switch on the back of the PC case to restart) whie playing Sims 2 and also Civ IV.  It doesn't shut down with other applications or graphics-intense online games regardless of the number of applications running.  The crash in Sims 2 occurs primarily when I'm changing lot appearance in build mode - every once in a while during CAS.  It doesn't usually happen while playing a Sim.

NOTE: Roommate has identical PC and doesn't experience these problems, though he doesn't play Sims 2.  He plays Quake, MS Flight Simulator and other games without issue however.

What I've tried:
1. Clean install with no custom content or hacks.  Crashed when tried to edit lot in NL Downtown - the vampire house with the weird lighting.
2. Uninstalled old and installed updated video and sound drivers. No change in crash frequency.
3. Ran in windowed mode with no sound (as per EA tech support).  No change in crash frequency.
4. Turned off VPU recover. No change in crash frequency.
5. Temperature on video card using overdrive is 47 (Normal, I'm told).
6. Ran defrag overnight. No change in crash frequency.
7. Ran virus scan (no viruses). Shut down virus real time scan during gameplay. No change in crash frequency.
8. Changed config to decrease number of processes with start up. No change in crash frequency.

All my computer geek friends are telling me this is most likely temperature related and that the power supply is being affected.  I plan to open the case later today and "blow out" dust and debris (3 cats probably shed enough hair to clog up the fans).

I would appreciate any other suggestions to help resolve my problem.

Thanks,
Kitte
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
Re: System shuts down
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 23, 18:24:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the system is completely shutting down, it probably is heat related. If the system detects the processor temperature getting too high it will shut down the system to avoid burning up the processor.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 23, 20:14:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried running it with the ATI overdrive off?

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with an ATI Radeon X850XT card (and two Gb RAM), but in addition to upgrading  the PSU, I also installed a second card fan. 

Have had no problems  - but I've never unlocked the ATI overclock function.  And I have no cats.   Grin

[Edited to note that EP4 installed and working fine]
Kitte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 23, 20:59:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I've tried it with ATI overdrive on and off - no difference that I can tell.  I'm still blaming my cats. Smiley 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 23, 23:53:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims tends to be very processor-inefficient. In contrast, FPS engines tend to be highly optimized, as bragging about how well their engine performs is a form of e-Penis size contest amongst FPS-developers. Thus, Sims 2 chews up system resources very inefficient and can cause massive overheating. I suggest you switch compressor or liquid nitrogen cooling.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Kitte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 24, 16:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Despite cleaning out dust and furballs, my PC still shuts down - so much for blaming my cats.

I found a (somewhat irritating) work around by tabbing out and letting the processor cool down periodically.

I also read about a known issue with bad power supplies with this particular Alienware model -- So it looks like resolution will be replacing power supply vs liquid nitrogen. Smiley
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 24, 17:04:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do check the "building/updating a PC" thread here as there is good info on PSUs.

Kitte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 24, 17:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, that's a great thread!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 October 24, 20:11:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found a (somewhat irritating) work around by tabbing out and letting the processor cool down periodically.
Definitely a heat problem, then. Your solution will thus require upgrading the cooling system. And anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: