More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 15:32:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Borked Family Tree
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Borked Family Tree  (Read 11513 times)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Borked Family Tree
« on: 2006 October 22, 21:18:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the chance to play a bit of Pets today (still haven't bought it myself), and found a little problem. After two dogs breeded the offspring only recognized the mother as family. The father was not on the family tree. No hacks on this machine that I'm aware of.

Also, I was disappointed with the "Met a new pet" memory. "I met a new pet today. It was totally cool!" It's like they Duff to write the memories, too.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
Re: Borked Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 22, 21:31:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After two dogs breeded the offspring only recognized the mother as family. The father was not on the family tree.

Were the two dogs by chance different sizes?  Somebody else reported the same issue with breeding a large dog with a small dog.

Karen
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 23, 01:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, they were. I knew something was wrong with that relationship. The little one was the male. Kind of funny to think about.
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 23, 03:43:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was researching the pet birth code today and there is some definate weirdness going on.

For instance, sometimes after creating the first puppy/kitten, the code will switch the parents for remaining puppies/kittens to be clones of the first. And yes, small dog/large dog pairing are inadvisable. The code does not seem to handle this very well, and from what I remember of it from this morning, you end up with clones of one or the other dog, not a mix of dna.
cheriem
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 23, 05:22:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a friend who has one of her dogs pregnant and it's stuck.  She can't get the dog to have the puppies and she's tried everything.  And I do mean everything.  Any chance she's going to be able to fix that family any time soon?

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 23, 07:58:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was researching the pet birth code today and there is some definate weirdness going on.

For instance, sometimes after creating the first puppy/kitten, the code will switch the parents for remaining puppies/kittens to be clones of the first. And yes, small dog/large dog pairing are inadvisable. The code does not seem to handle this very well, and from what I remember of it from this morning, you end up with clones of one or the other dog, not a mix of dna.

Oh crud. That seems pretty suckity. Any chance this is fixable? And if not, I guess it would be helpful to have a hack that checks between dog types and prevents breeding between small and large dogs. Even if the game allows it, what's the point of having it if the result is gonna be crappity. Roll Eyes I haven't even really looked at any of the new Pets stuff, cuz I been busy OCD updating my hacks cuz I can't wait for updates from other modders. Heh. Tongue

Ste

dDefinder
Blathering Buffoon

An Acronym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 23, 10:34:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

like mine who gave birth to three puppies that all have the same traits and look all the same.

No matter what variables there are, it all adds up to total and all-encompassing tedium.
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 23, 10:55:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I moved those pre-made Critturs in somwhere in a moment of weakness, with no idea that the female was already pregnant.  No father shows up in the puppies' family tree even though the male dog, who I suppose is meant to be the father, is the same size as the female. 
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 October 23, 12:32:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can small dogs and large ones breed in real life? How would that work though? Esp if the female doggy was small....
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 October 23, 13:45:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They can and often do. The puppies will be of different sizes, and the female can have problems if the puppies are too big... But it happens....
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 October 23, 15:36:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as fixable, the making of subsequent pupppies/kittens clones of the first puppy/kitten (this is random now and doesn't always happen) is definatetly fixable. I really don't know what the point of this was.

I'm not sure yet what can be done with the small/large dog interbreeding. I'm sure the code can be cleaned up to work better, but blending of their dna was probably not done for a reason since there are no 'medium' meshes.  So there is probably no way around their puppies being clones of one or the other parent dog.

The Critturs' pregnancy was probably 'forced' and not naturally done in the game, I bet her pregnancy token shows no father so all puppies will be clones of her.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 October 23, 19:21:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I want to know is why my straight from CAP female and a male bought at a store had puppies with floppy ears when both parents had pointy ears.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 October 23, 19:29:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, that doesn't really surprise me.  The genetics of CAS Sims can be pretty messed up.  I don't see any reason why CAP pets would be any different. 

Karen
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 October 24, 06:31:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I moved those pre-made Critturs in somwhere in a moment of weakness, with no idea that the female was already pregnant.  No father shows up in the puppies' family tree even though the male dog, who I suppose is meant to be the father, is the same size as the female. 

Whoo!  Talk about dodging a bullet.  I was thinking about moving them in with the Brokes or the Burbs into a new Pleasantview.  That really would have been a drian on their already limited finances.

The Oldies would probably be a better option.  Just got to remember to give them all away to the Pleasants before they croak.
moonluck
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 October 24, 06:37:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I want to know is why my straight from CAP female and a male bought at a store had puppies with floppy ears when both parents had pointy ears.

I'm pretty sure all pups have floppy ears. I guess they were lazy and only have one mesh for puppies.

I have also experienced the large-small dog weirdness withe the family tree, that realy sucks.

Or I could be totally wrong...
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 October 24, 06:44:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've posted a fix for the borked family tree bug here.

I'm planning on maybe adding some other changes later, like the cloning of the firstborn issue after I've run more tests to see if Maxis really had a good reason for doing it the way they did. I can't for the life of me figure out why that would be a good thing, but the odds of it happening are huge as the code stands now.

I'm pretty sure all pups have floppy ears. I guess they were lazy and only have one mesh for puppies.

I'm pretty sure you're right.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 October 24, 17:55:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

say TwoJeffs, you wouldnt happen to have a directory like pes does, where we can check if any mods have been updated or well.. modded... ? the dir thing makes it a smidgen easier to keep track...

Just wondering.

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 October 24, 18:07:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I moved the binned dogs in with the Goths,Mortimer loved those dogs and they howled for about an hour when he died.  But her puppies, when they turned to dogs all had floppy ears,but looked just like her.  When she had her next batch with the other male dog,the dogs were identical to the first batch. Her next batch had two identical dogs as the other batches and one that is identical to the father.  They aren't dogs yet so I don't know about the ears yet,but my adoption pool is full of identical dogs--really sucks--the white dog looks stupid with floppy ears.
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 October 24, 18:21:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

say TwoJeffs, you wouldnt happen to have a directory like pes does, where we can check if any mods have been updated or well.. modded... ? the dir thing makes it a smidgen easier to keep track...

Just wondering.

Nope.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 October 24, 21:29:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wondering.

Nope.

Any chance you could get one?
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 October 29, 17:29:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Critturs' pregnancy was probably 'forced' and not naturally done in the game, I bet her pregnancy token shows no father so all puppies will be clones of her.

In my game she gave birth to 2 males and a female.  So they're not clones, exactly, or all of them would have been one gender.  (Or does that work differently for pets than it does for Sims?)  The pups' family tree shows her as the mother but there is no father listed.

Karen
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 October 29, 17:44:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The guide says it was done so that you could have a litter with a bunch of identical puppies or kittens "and one different."  It made a weird kind of sense the first time I read it, but if you think about it... even in that case, the "identical" ones should be a little different.

Yes, a patch to get away from the cloning entirely would be a good thing.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 October 29, 18:58:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey 2J, you're right.

I thoguht it was odd that ALL the puppies had the mother's undercoat and then when I looked in their Relationships box, I knew EXACTLY what maxis had done.  THey bred the mom with herself.
selzi
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2006 October 29, 21:08:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my game she gave birth to 2 males and a female.  So they're not clones, exactly, or all of them would have been one gender.
No, the gender is the only thing that DOES change. Apart from that your puppies are most probably 1:1 clones of the mother. Wait until they grow up and you'll see. Do they all have the exactly same personality as their mother?
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 October 30, 06:11:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well I'm not having a clone problem with my cat pair

Skitty (the mom)

Whisp (the dad)

two litters, two kittens each (1st litter - Chaos and Skittles, 2nd litter - Angel and Damian)

looks - all are slightly different from their littermate and more different from the other litter (as kittens I could not tell any of them apart)
personality - they are the same as their parents - who are the same as each other (cause thats the way I wanted them)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: