More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 22:43:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  The Armory
| | |-+  No Autonomous Pet Buying
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: No Autonomous Pet Buying  (Read 33644 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
No Autonomous Pet Buying
« on: 2006 October 21, 08:54:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Spare yourself the agony of having to kick a poor kitty or doggie out onto the streets, or ending up with a crazy number of pets due to sim autonomous purchasing.

noautopetbuy.zip

No Autonomous Pet Buying for TS2PETS
Made by: Flying Fish Systems (J. M. Pescado)

Special Thanks To:
Hobbsee the Scrawny Pencil Neck
Fat, Hairy-Bellied Ness

Congratulations to: Draklixa!

INSTRUCTIONS:
Place in your MYDOCU~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~1\DOWNLO~1 directory.

FEATURES:
Visiting playable sims will no longer purchase new pets, putting you in the
uncomfortable position of ending up with a million pets...or having to kick
out some poor animal.

COMPATIBILITY:
Compatible with all FFS hacks. For TS2PETS.

SIDE EFFECTS:
May cause computer damage, incontinence, explosion of user's head, coma, death,
and/or halitosis.

WARNING:
Do not open, crush, dispose of in fire, put in backwards, short-circuit, or mix
with non-awesome hacks - may explode, leak, or catch fire, resulting in injury
and/or death.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: No Autonomous Pet Buying
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 21, 15:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They can buy pets autonomously? Oh geeze, how dumb is that. Tongue

Guess I will be downloading this.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 21, 15:31:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They can and before I add this mod, they do !!
One of my playable sim bought a dog while I was visiting a shop with another playable. When I load his lot, a message came up : one sim has bought an animal, do you want it ? : clicking yes adds the dog to the family (then I quit without saving) clicking no does not add the dog (it stays in the adoption pool (the one from the phone)).
SimMoon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 21, 15:55:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They CAN and DO buy pets autonomously and then they can't coller the fuzzy crowd. Pescado, have  you found out where the collars go to after they buy them? They do NOT go on a dog or cat.

The Sims 2 Elegance
There's a hole in the world tonight; don't let there be a hole in the world tomorrow.
---------------------------------------------
Eagles 2005 Farewell Tour
PattyB
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 21, 15:59:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They CAN and DO buy pets autonomously and then they can't coller the fuzzy crowd. Pescado, have  you found out where the collars go to after they buy them? They do NOT go on a dog or cat.

To put a collar on a dog or cat, you have to use a Maxis EA mirror and "Change Appearance" of the pet.

Hope this helps!

Not at all awesome
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 22, 00:13:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One major drawback of the autonomous pet-buying is the inability to customize anything.  You can't even change the pet's name!  When your controllable Sim buys a pet in a shop, you can customize its appearance any way you want and choose the name before you buy it.  You lose all that flexibility when your Sim comes home with a pet they bought autonomously.  Not to mention the fact that the message doesn't even tell you what you're adopting (large dog/small dog/cat etc.), so you are basically agreeing to bring the pet into your Sim's home without even knowing what it is.

Karen
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 22, 00:19:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can't even register a new name by phone?

Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 22, 00:22:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can't even register a new name by phone?

You can, but only after you get the pet home. 
Sweethrtcc
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 October 22, 03:07:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Leave it to Maxis to put in a stupid option like that. Aggh.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 October 24, 12:14:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may have had a problem with this hack. I'm currently running all EPs, and the only other hacks I have installed are antiwatchout, noautocongratulate, eatmoretalkless, and restaurantbarfix. After installing noautopetbuy, the lot I was playing started to have some troubling lags. These lags were under a minute, but the screen actually went completely blue while waiting for the timer to finish turning. On the final instance of this, the screen went black entirely (though I could still hear the crickets chirping on the lot). My monitor actually went to sleep; the game refused to be force-quit by any method I could think of (including ejecting the CD), and my machine locked to the point where the only thing I could do was turn it off manually. After rebooting I removed noautopetbuy from my game and haven't seen the problems since.

The problems *may* have coincided with wolf visits/interactions, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Post-removal, I did have a sim 'jump' at the same time her husband started playing Fetch with a Leader of the Pack. I'm more than willing to believe the problem was on my end, but I wanted to let you know about this, just in case.

Thanks!
Liz

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 October 24, 12:22:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Liz: I had that same freezing problem on my system. With many hacks in place, but also without any hacks in game.
Updating my Nvidia display driver to 91.47 (I was using an 80x driver) seems to have solved it.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 October 24, 12:45:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the suggestion, Jordi! Just checked and my current Nvidia driver is 8.1.9.8 (from last December). I'll try updating it this evening and see what that does.

Cheers!
Liz

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 October 25, 03:24:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, humph. I just updated to 9.1.4.7 but still experienced the "freezing to blank screen" lag twice in fairly close succession. Quit and deleted groups.cache (because, why not?) and will see if that's made any difference. I still think it's odd that this problem suddenly cropped up the first time I played after installing this hack, but I've seen much stranger coincidences...

Thanks again for the suggestion,
Liz

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 October 25, 04:34:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definitely unrelated. If this hack caused the game to explode in completely unrelated circumstances, my game would already have exploded.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 October 25, 06:31:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do believe you're right - I'm still experiencing the blank-screen "freeze lag" after further testing. Can't think of what else it could be, other than a previously well-behaved CC download that's been messed up by Pets perhaps, so I'm off to start checking that angle. Thanks for your help and suggestions, guys - it looks like I'm on my own for this one (^_-)

Cheers!
Liz

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 October 26, 23:32:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to follow up... it looks like the problem was with the drivers after all (thanks, Jordi!). I must not have gotten a clean install or something, but after uninstalling them and downloading/installing the beta drivers off Nvidia's website, the problem appears to have stopped.

Cheers & thanks again!
Liz

joe_mulcahy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 November 12, 23:42:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you very much for this hack, Pes.  It was becoming rather difficult with the Grunts (yes, Tank and Ripp have buried the proverbial hatchet and live together as adults) adopting a new pet each time I return to their house.   At least they've adopted 2 elder dogs, so those pets weren't around for long, but they've adopted a adult dogs and cats, to take their place and their house is quite hectic now.

Who would have known that Tank Grunt could be so fond of animals after the way he used to treat Ripp?
« Last Edit: 2006 November 12, 23:52:44 by joe_mulcahy » Logged
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 November 17, 20:03:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only got around to installing the new EP a couple of days ago and came over here to update my hacks only to find that Maxis/EA, in their wisdom, made it possible for sims to autonomously buy pets.  I am speechless....  Huh

Inteen for AL, yay!
jefrir
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 January 08, 15:27:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wouldn't be so bad if you actually saw the pet before agreeing to keep it. I watched one of my sims buying a golden retriever, decided it was a suitable pet, agreed to it when I next played him, and then discovered he'd actually bought an ugly grey cat. What's the point in letting us choose which breed is displayed if they don't even get the same species?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: