More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 13:55:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Let's Talk About Spyware, Baybee
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Let's Talk About Spyware, Baybee  (Read 22677 times)
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Let's Talk About Spyware, Baybee
« Reply #50 on: 2006 November 04, 03:17:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was just playing Oblivion, and the stupid "Link" thingie decided to update itself resulting in Oblivion being locked up so badly I had to warm boot out of it.   

This is at least the second time it's updated in two days, and it keeps giving me stupid messages about updates to games I have absolutely no interest in.

I take it if I uninstall the stupid Link thing I can't play Pets....

Angry
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 November 04, 09:49:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think on the first page, it tells how to set your firewall to block it safely.  Something like "block outgoing traffic on port 80," but double check it yourself.
Nivaya
Exasperating Eyesore

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2006 November 04, 13:20:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used the EA 'Link' to download th holiday pack, last year, then, being a renegade, got rid of the accursed downloader, and all worked shiny and fine for me...Of course, my hard drive crashed last week, and I had to deal with it once more, to reinstall...and now it constantly spams me with oh-so-exciting updates and waargh.

On the spyware issue, I tend to agree with KevinTMC, the fact that it's there leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth, but I generally bask in the knowledge that I'm considerably not-awesome, and out of millions of players worldwide, EA don't really give a damn about the specifics of my doings, or about sabotaging my poor ropey computer, so I can't buy their games anymore...

Like a balloon..and....something bad happens!!!
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006 November 04, 18:00:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was just playing Oblivion, and the stupid "Link" thingie decided to update itself resulting in Oblivion being locked up so badly I had to warm boot out of it.   

This is at least the second time it's updated in two days, and it keeps giving me stupid messages about updates to games I have absolutely no interest in.

I take it if I uninstall the stupid Link thing I can't play Pets....

Angry

Yes, you can't play Pets if you uninstall the darn thing. That is unless you switch out the exe. Would you like me to send you the link to where you can find the no-cd exe?

Or, if you just don't want it to start up while you're playing something else, you can take it out of your start up menu, so it's not running automatically unless you're playing Pets.

Nivaya, I have the original downloader version of the HP that doesn't require you to have the downloader/link installed to install or play, if you'd like it.  It's only 7 MB, so it will even get through most mail filters.  I burned that baby to disk as soon as I found the file.  Wink  I say screw EA and their DRM malware crap! If you bought the thing, you should be able to play it without having to run malware.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: 2006 November 04, 18:14:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

7 MB? The cd version is around 72 MB, did they cut out a bunch of stuff or something?

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2006 November 04, 18:51:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

7 MB? The cd version is around 72 MB, did they cut out a bunch of stuff or something?
Ummm, okay, send me to RL, I obviously read that wrong.  Wink  Roll Eyes Embarrassed

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Nivaya
Exasperating Eyesore

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006 November 04, 20:23:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Katenigma, cheers muchly, but I actually have that backed up somewhere on an external hard drive......it's just the finding it that's the problem...>.< Thanks for the offer though! Cheesy

Like a balloon..and....something bad happens!!!
Ashleigh
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006 November 05, 07:25:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded the alternate .exe, disabled the EA downloader with a couple of extra letters in the title, made sure my firewall rejected EA's attempts to connect, and voila! No more retarded downloader.
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 November 12, 05:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there anyone would would be willing to send me the link to the alternate .exe?
As I mentioned above, I really don't like EA trying to log me into the site everytime I try to play the game.  If I block it in my firewall, it just keeps trying to connect over and over again.
Since it's a legitimate version, I have no problem asking for it.
Have pity on a fool who purchased the WRONG version of the game! (And will never do so again)

I have kept the .eac file, but is there anything else I'd need to do when/if the next expansion comes out?  If EALink (downloader) is no longer installed at that point, will I need to reinstall it before I upgrade? Or will I have to download the whole game again from EA.  I can't seem to find any info about the EA Downloadables online...Maybe it's just too new at this point.

One more question for anyone who  might be in the know, do you think once there is a new EP (which I will purchase as a Boxed version) the downloader will still have to be installed to play the the game with the downloadable Pets installed?

Thank you many times over to anyone who'd be willing to share some insight.
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 November 12, 14:35:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How'd you get that rotten google toolbar to disappear from firefox? It's been bugging me for a while and now I heard it's spyware, I'd love to be able to kick it off my browser.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2006 November 12, 15:51:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How'd you get that rotten google toolbar to disappear from firefox? It's been bugging me for a while and now I heard it's spyware, I'd love to be able to kick it off my browser.
Tools > Add-ons (Extensions for 1.5 and below) > Right click on the Google Toolbar extension > Uninstall

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 November 12, 16:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Google toolbar extension is not in the add-ons. Damnit, why must my comp always be 'different'  Angry

Thanks for the info anyway.
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2006 November 12, 18:53:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here are some instructions for removing the toolbar:

http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=9231&topic=915

Hope that helps!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »