More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 14:21:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficient?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficient?  (Read 36660 times)
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
Re: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficie
« Reply #75 on: 2006 October 11, 13:55:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But,... but I can't! Cry

I'll post a pic later, but the trashcan now only shows for the main object.

I remember there used to be a second trashcan that deleted the recolors, but it's gone since OFB (or maybe since OFB patch 1, don't really recall).

Try the design tool, the recolor trashcan's in there.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficie
« Reply #76 on: 2006 October 11, 14:10:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since the OFB expansion, you're no longer allowed to delete individual recolors.

Er...possibly I'm misunderstanding as I'm up obscenely early by my reckoning, but how do you figure?  I've got OFB, and I just made a random barbecue recolor to test this, and deleted it within the game no problems.  File all gone buh-bye.  ??

The OFB patch did mess things up slightly.

You can't delete individual recolours from the buy menu, but you can delete through the design mode tool.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 October 11, 19:47:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gotcha -- thanks!  Now if only there were a way to delete them directly, instead of having to print out a list and delete them from the directory by hand... Smiley

I agree, it would have been nice to be able to delete them directly, or move them around from within SimPe.  I was going back and forth between SimPe and Clean Installer to reorganize things. (move out the recolors to my missing Sunair meshes  Cry ) It wasn't too bad to just disable and then go delete them all, but an all-in-one thing would have been convenient, I agree.

I did delete them all, though, because I'd already moved all my unidentifiable files into a folder on my desktop and gone into the game to see if anything had broken or disappeared.

I seriously think that creators who don't clearly label their works shouldn't be allowed to upload anything.  Wink  For instance, whenever I do feel like hunting down my missing meshes, I know exactly which ones I need because Sunair numbers everything STRINGOFNUMBERS_SAskT016_yellow. SA for Sunair, sk for skin, and then a number that corresponds to a mesh. Inside Clean Installer, it's labelled something like SkinTO16_yellow by Sunair.  But even if no one wants to be that organized, just naming it "red dress" or Mesh_reddress" is a heck of a lot more helpful than a string of numbers, and then no thumbnail! /rant LOL  Cheesy

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 October 11, 19:48:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can't delete individual recolours from the buy menu, but you can delete through the design mode tool.

I'd never sort that one out  Roll Eyes

A million thanks to you! Kiss
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
Re: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficient?
« Reply #79 on: 2006 October 11, 20:13:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh and the only deleting recolors from the redesign tool was "how we intended it to work in the first place." Not that they broke it during the patch, but that they finally "fixed" it.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: 2006 October 11, 21:17:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: katenigma
I seriously think that creators who don't clearly label their works shouldn't be allowed to upload anything.  Wink

Heh, I'll drink to that *Raises Diet Coke!*  And I'll also add that creators should be required to label their stuff in whatever language is predominant at the site they're posting it on!

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficient?
« Reply #81 on: 2006 October 12, 08:43:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apart from huge Downloads folders, do

- custom music for buy/build/radio stations located in the Music folder
- collection files
- SC4terrain files
- Sims templates stored in SavedSims
or
- the number of neighbourhoods

add to the starting time?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 October 12, 09:01:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, yes, no, no, yes. But all only very slightly, and hardly after they've been indexed/cached once.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 October 12, 10:43:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd never sort that one out  Roll Eyes

A million thanks to you! Kiss

I didn't know either, thought I was stuck with zillions of bright blue recolours. Well, not zillions, but a good few. Thanks from me also.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 October 12, 11:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, yes, no, no, yes. But all only very slightly, and hardly after they've been indexed/cached once.

Good thing to know. No more changing the audio books then. Wink
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 October 12, 15:34:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, maybe I am dense. But I have a lot of problems deleting in design mode.
You know how the texture for the objects are all linked together? E.g. car interior and exterior.
When I deleted an interior, i realise that an exterior will have a lot of html code (white background with black words...i was thinking it is html code) will appear. In which I can't delete because the bin option is no longer avaliable.End up having to delete the whole bloody thing.

how could i prevent such an issue? thanks for any help once again.

Go Away
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 October 12, 15:49:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know how the texture for the objects are all linked together? E.g. car interior and exterior.

I was hoping that running the game in debug mode would make the catalog show the filenames of the recolors, but it only shows the model name, which doesn't help much Tongue

The same happened when I deleted some painting frames, that unfortunately were in the same packages of the painting recolors.

The recolors I deleted appeared in the catalog in a blue color, or with black text in white background.

But I think that effect is temporary; next time you start the game, the deleted recolors should no longer appear.

Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 October 12, 18:06:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which recolor are you talking about? you mean the texture I deleted ? (e.g the interior) or will both the interior (I deleted) and its related exterior (which I didn't delete) disappear the next time I load the game? I am seriously confused. I don't know why maxis want to make it so hard for us to delete stuff  Huh

Go Away
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 October 13, 06:14:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that catalogues have a tendency to return to the beginning everytime something is deleted in CAS.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 October 13, 06:17:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that catalogues have a tendency to return to the beginning everytime something is deleted in CAS.

I seriously hate that!  Angry

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 October 13, 16:44:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here. Like Maxis couldn't have thought this part through. Did they really expect us to only have enough d/ls to fill up the first few pages?
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 October 13, 22:22:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ditto!!
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 October 13, 22:46:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ummm... three-to?  Huh
Guess there's no chance that anyone could code such a change for the catalogue display?

I don't know why maxis want to make it so hard for us to delete stuff  Huh
From what I understand, that's not Maxis fault in the end, but the creators by putting both recolours in one file... that's right?
trancejeremy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 October 14, 04:58:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my experience, it's really neighborhood size (in terms of number of sims) that determines how long it takes to load a neighborhood or lot. (Which is why I'm afraid to get Pets, which will have the potential to increase the number of "sims" by a heck of a lot)

I used to have around 1200 sims in my main neighborhood - took me about 3 minutes to load the it and about 2 minutes to load a lot.   Got that down to about 850 (using the deleter tool in the QA version of Simpe, which has some side effects), and the load time dropped to 2 minutes and lot about 1:30.

And brand new neighborhoods take almost no time to load (either the 'hood or the lot).
Qwiggles
Corpulent Cretin

We are all just monkeys...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 November 12, 03:30:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone tried the Orphan Mesh scanner after Pets came out?  I know I dare not open my neighborhood with the current SimPe but is opening Downloads okay?

Mooooo
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: 2006 November 14, 19:28:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking about creating folders for my CC, and was wondering what was and wasn't "safe" to put into folders, how the folders should be named, etc.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. ^_^
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 November 14, 19:47:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking about creating folders for my CC, and was wondering what was and wasn't "safe" to put into folders, how the folders should be named, etc.

As long as they're all under Downloads, you can pretty much name the folders anything you want, and organize them however you want.  One scheme that seems to be common is to have  a folder for every separate hack/mod author -- makes it easy to update particular mods and reduce the chance of duplicates sneaking in.  Plus, some mods depend on load order (particularly some from TwoJeffs and Pescado) and 'twojeffs' comes after 'pescado' in the directory (assuming you're using the NTFS file system).  It's also handy to make directories for types of objects, like 'clothes', 'hair', etc.

The only thing I've found that sort-of prefers to be in the main Downloads directory is the Insimenator. It sometimes gets a little quirky if it's in a sub-directory.  Otherwise, I haven't found a hack, mod, or custom object that cares what directory it's in.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: 2006 November 14, 20:04:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

as long as they're all under Downloads, you can pretty much name the folders anything you want, and organize them however you want.  One scheme that seems to be common is to have  a folder for every separate hack/mod author -- makes it easy to update particular mods and reduce the chance of duplicates sneaking in.  Plus, some mods depend on load order (particularly some from TwoJeffs and Pescado) and 'twojeffs' comes after 'pescado' in the directory (assuming you're using the NTFS file system).  It's also handy to make directories for types of objects, like 'clothes', 'hair', etc.

The only thing I've found that sort-of prefers to be in the main Downloads directory is the Insimenator. It sometimes gets a little quirky if it's in a sub-directory.  Otherwise, I haven't found a hack, mod, or custom object that cares what directory it's in.
Sweet. Thanks a lot! Cheesy
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 November 14, 22:24:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've found that (for me at least) the best way to manage my downloads folder is to organise it into a sensible set of sub-folders e.g. all the MATY downloads are in a MATY sub-folder under downloads. If I download a set then I save all the meshes/textures to its own sub-folder named after the set. If I then download recolours for that particular set it they'll go in the same 'set' subfolder. Default skins go in a default skins folder. Everything else I try to group in sub-folders that mimic the Maxis hierarchy e.g. comfort/sofas, comfort/beds etc simply for ease of keeping track of things. I always try to keep textures (recolours) with the associated mesh(es) in their own sub-folder, usually named after the creator/mesh. If you want rid of something then delete the sub-folder. Likewise if you download another recolour you know where to put it.
The flipside to this is you have to be quite brutal with your file management... if you download something, try it and don't like it, then get rid of it. There is absolutely no point in loading content that you aren't going to use. I keep the downloaded zip/rar files in a similar folder structure - that way if I do want to retry some content it's easy to locate. It's also very tempting to install every single recolour that someone has made, again just install what you will use in game. Finally, you have to constantly be housekeeping with your downloads folder, checking what's there and pruning out the dead wood. Mine is currently around the 750Mb/2,500 files mark and is due another tidy up as the loading times have got a little too long.
(Incidentally, it seems to me that lots with pets appear to take longer to load even if they are relatively small and have only a couple of sims resident.)

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 November 14, 23:36:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine is currently around the 750Mb/2,500 files mark and is due another tidy up as the loading times have got a little too long.
(Incidentally, it seems to me that lots with pets appear to take longer to load even if they are relatively small and have only a couple of sims resident.)

Piker. Smiley  My downloads folder is about 3.5Gb, and there are folks here with even more than that.

And yea, Pets in general seems to have slowed down the game again, after GLS made it faster.  But of course, that's because EA didn't use the latest engine when they made Pets...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: