More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 03:53:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficient?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficient?  (Read 37034 times)
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficient?
« Reply #25 on: 2006 October 08, 12:46:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Royalty???  Where does that come from?

I'm another compulsive zip and rar keeper...  problem is, stuff that gets deleted from the game because it's crap doesn't get the corresponding zip or rar deleted.  If my downloads folder ever went splodey I'd have a really nasty time trying to sort through what needs to go back in and what should stay out.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficie
« Reply #26 on: 2006 October 08, 14:05:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hopefully someone will have an easy fix for this problem or tell me how to avoid it the future.

Usually when problems crop up with the thumbnails, the solution is to simply delete the tumbnail files and let the game rebuild them. You'll find them in ...\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails.  It also doesn't hurt to delete the 'groups.cache' file in the directory above that (the 'main' sims directory).

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
iainmac
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficie
« Reply #27 on: 2006 October 08, 14:19:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the info about the thumbnails I'll go and do that now and let you know if it works.I delete the groups cache after every game.

The royality comes from your royal highness [hi ness] ;Di 

thanks iain

If at first you don't suceed suck harder
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 2006 October 08, 17:43:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We desperately need a tool that can identify meshes with no textures and vice versa so we can get rid of them easily...

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
numaari
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 October 08, 18:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Desperately.  *nods*
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2006 October 08, 18:18:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a question for the mod gods...we know it's possible to hide Maxis textures we don't like, but is there any way to stop the game from loading the meshes?

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: What downloads to delete to make loading times of game and lots more efficient?
« Reply #31 on: 2006 October 08, 21:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I'm no mod god, but the initial answer would seem to be "no".
Unless you delete the mesh from the game resource file (which would be a very bad thing).

Why would you want to do this anyway? Many Maxis game meshes are used by multiple outfits, even NPC outfits.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2006 October 08, 21:34:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To save load time and resources.  And some of the meshes themselves are butt-ugly and incapable of being textured in any way that is not butt-ugly, IMO.  It was just an idle thought though.

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 October 08, 21:45:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We desperately need a tool that can identify meshes with no textures and vice versa so we can get rid of them easily...

Amen! I'd just about kill for a tool like that (HINT HINT)

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 October 08, 22:03:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The royality comes from your royal highness [hi ness] ;Di 

Actually, that's one play on Ness that I haven't encountered before, well done!   Smiley

But no, not royalty.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2006 October 08, 23:30:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had already deleted my entire makeup folder and with the advise of folks here, changed it all to Dylan's makeup.
As for meshes, I found it hard to delete my orphaned meshes because i don't know which clothes goes with what but you mean they make such a big difference in loading times?

As for skins, I deleted most of them. It seems that there isn't much more to be deleted but I still have 11000 files in my folder  Huh Angry

Jysudo, Dylan who?  And where?  Smiley

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 October 08, 23:36:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dylan of laverwinkle...  http://laverwinklesims.com/index.php

absolutely gorgeous makeup!
CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP/INTJ Half C-3P0, Half evil genius

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 October 09, 06:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh my, that is some sexy makeup. I also (somewhat sheepily) agree that an "orphaned mesh" detector is sorely needed!

"The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions"
Fold Spindle Mutilate!
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 October 09, 06:41:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the sense to follow the teachings of someone else-I think it was Jade-here and I should be able to track them down,although that
assumes  the files are named and not just numbers,I  have all the orginal rars so nothing will be lost, well hopefully that will be the case
or I maybe deluding myself yet again when it comes to this game

If you run the game in debug mode, go to Create a Family and look at the clothing, you should see the filename when you click on the clothing item I think. Is that where your cc appears after the Maxis stuff? I just wondered because other people were talking about makeup and clothing, thought that might be one way you could identify it.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 October 09, 07:59:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Remember to enable CAS debugging as well: do a boolprop testingcheatsenabled 1 and then press shift+n. It should report the filename for everything, as well as other information (if defined).
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 October 09, 09:44:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...do a boolprop testingcheatsenabled 1...

Thinking in binary Jordi?  Grin

boolprop testingcheatsenabled true  Wink

Let the Beast inside you free!
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 October 09, 09:53:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1 also works :p

It's a boolean property, so 0=false, 1=true.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 October 09, 10:44:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1 also works :p

It's a boolean property, so 0=false, 1=true.

Shit...never tried that...heh, one never ceases to learn!

Let the Beast inside you free!
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 October 09, 10:46:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

one never ceases to learn!

true never ceases to learn! :p
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 October 09, 21:21:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Ok, i am sick of my ridiculous loading times for lots and my game." [Jysudo]

I just bought a new computer, with 1066 MHz processor, and the loading time "runs speedy wild"...Smiley.

Size of Downloads folder:  2 Giga.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 October 10, 14:33:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My past two weeks were spent cleaning out the downloads folder. Roll Eyes

After the cleanup, I left about 2400 packages using 715Mb of disk space.
The game now loads into the neighborhood chooser in less than a minute Smiley

I didn't target a particular type of package, I just deleted the objects, clothing, hairs, walls and floors that weren't being used.

Incidently, this made me work on the orphan mesh scanner again, and it was able to root out over a hundred mesh packages that were not in use [/shameless plug] Wink

However, the neighborhood's loading time remains essentially the same, maybe due to the sheer amount of garbage it contains. For instance, my Pleasantview main package is now over 12Mb in file size!
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 October 10, 15:08:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the link to the WTF scanner. The page also has a gimmick that scans for duplicate skins and makeup and such and allows for renaming and deleting and such. Which would help immensely for those who download sims as the stupid installer likes to rename helaene's nice labeled makeup to 012debakuyaw2316. I have an entire folder of stuff from custom sims that I can't identify.

On that same note, the newest version of Clean Installer seems to lost it's ability to identify from makeup, eyecolors and such. For when I scan my "made sims content folder" everything is labelled: "Parts."

Thanks, I know it's a PART of a SIM, but it's nice to know if it is MAKEUP or EYECOLOR.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 October 10, 16:34:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Incidently, this made me work on the orphan mesh scanner again, and it was able to root out over a hundred mesh packages that were not in use [/shameless plug] Wink

What? Orphan mesh scanner? Where, where?!?!?!? Shocked
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 October 10, 16:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Linky

This was previously mentioned in the Culling Hair thread, but at that time the results were less than encouraging Tongue

And it still helps if the downloads are organized into subfolders. For instance, I used it to scan a folder that only had the clothing recolors and meshes (of course I had to know that those were clothing meshes).
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 October 10, 17:08:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never heard of that project, Theo, though I did ask Jfade about a clothes scanner at one point.  He said he thought Paladin was working on one.

I'd love some more tools to do cool stuff outside the game though, and if someone *anyone* would work on fixing SimPE the Pescado way, we won't have to worry about our beloved hacks after the EP-that-shall-not-be-named comes out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: