More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 13:29:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Computer on the fritz
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Computer on the fritz  (Read 5331 times)
shanpooter
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Computer on the fritz
« on: 2006 September 25, 11:32:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an Emachine (bleh) that is about two years old.  Two weeks ago it suddenly began taking an extremely long time to boot up.  Actually, it seemed to boot up normally, but it would sit at a blank screen after the windows loading screen for about 5 minutes before bringing up the blue login screen.  I scanned for viruses and adware, nothing.  So I did a full system recovery hoping that would fix it.  It didn't, and it's getting worse.  It now takes forever to open files, and even longer to open a folder with many files in it.  I don't know a ton about computers so I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of what might be wrong.  I was thinking it was possibly a hard disk problem, since it seems to only affect opening files and folders. 

Don't know if specs would be helpful, but it's an AMD Athelon XP 3000, 512 memory, a GeForce FX 5200 with 256 memory.  I installed the graphics card myself two years ago when I bought the computer, if it makes a difference.  I've been wanting to build a new machine for a while, but wasn't planning on doing it until after Christmas, so I would like to figure out what's wrong with this one.  Any ideas?
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
Re: Computer on the fritz
« Reply #1 on: 2006 September 25, 11:52:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe a defrag is in order? Open My Computer, right-click on the drive, select Properties, click on the Tools tab and select Defrag. If you've had the 'puter for a long time without having defragged it even once, it tends to slow down a lot.

Let the Beast inside you free!
shanpooter
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 September 25, 12:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I should have mentioned that I attempted that before I broke down and reformatted.  I usually use scandisk, disk cleanup and defrag every month (that I remember, anyway), and I do regular virus and adware scans. 

It seems amazing to me how differently my computer is running now as opposed to how it was a few weeks ago.  When I click on a big folder, like my music or picture folders, I get that stupid hourglass for minutes before it displays the contents, whereas it used to pop up before I could blink.  My first thought was malware, but I scanned with every reputable program I could find.  And I am very anal about what gets put on my system.  I haven't even installed anything new or changed any settings since before it was running well.

Also, for about a day my computer was not recognizing either of my optical drives.  I have a DVD/CD burner and a CD reader.  They were not listed in My Computer, nor were they even attempting to read anything I put in them.  I turned the computer off and went to bed, and then next day they were back.  Not sure what that was about, but it has never happened before.   It seems to me (and I hope I'm wrong) that my computer is dying a slow death.  I'm afraid to even use it anymore aside from the internet, because I'm waiting for it to die and I don't want to lose anything.  It seems to be getting slower and weirder everyday.   
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 September 25, 13:18:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use Bootvis to check what is delaying system boot the most, it is likely also behind the rest of the slowdown.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 September 25, 14:24:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid to even use it anymore aside from the internet, because I'm waiting for it to die and I don't want to lose anything.  It seems to be getting slower and weirder everyday.   

Now is the time to back up the stuff that is important to you, because once it blows, there it all goes....
shanpooter
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 September 26, 00:29:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use Bootvis to check what is delaying system boot the most, it is likely also behind the rest of the slowdown.

Thanks Jordi, I will try this now.

edit - I just ran the program, tried it twice and got the same error message each time:

Number of physical drives in the trace file is 0
Trace file has invalid system configuration information

So...is this a hard drive problem?  Or can I somehow change the configuration settings?  The program just shuts down after I click ok on the error message.
« Last Edit: 2006 September 26, 01:12:34 by shanpooter » Logged
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 September 26, 03:06:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds to me like the motherboard is crapping out. You could check to make sure the IDE cables are securely plugged into the motherboard, but I doubt that's the problem since both channels appear to be dropping in and out.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 September 26, 03:14:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's just a motherboard problem, you're fine. Just get a new computer and you're good to go. Now HARD DRIVE problems, those are bad shit.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
shanpooter
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 September 26, 05:42:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds to me like the motherboard is crapping out. You could check to make sure the IDE cables are securely plugged into the motherboard, but I doubt that's the problem since both channels appear to be dropping in and out.

Great.  I will try checking the cables and hope that that is all it is.  But I won't hold my breath. 

HARD DRIVE problems, those are bad shit.

Whats so bad about them?  Or were you being sarcastic?  I've replaced hard drives before without too much trouble.  Of course getting a new computer would be easier... guess I'll have to work on the fiance for that one.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 September 26, 08:07:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HARD DRIVE problems, those are bad shit.

Whats so bad about them?  Or were you being sarcastic?  I've replaced hard drives before without too much trouble.  Of course getting a new computer would be easier... guess I'll have to work on the fiance for that one.

Thing is, if it's a failing motherboard you get to keep your disk at least, along with all its valuable data. If it's the hard drive crapping out, good luck with making a backup!

Let the Beast inside you free!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 September 26, 08:29:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your hard drive blows up, you lose everything on that drive. This is uncool even if you have recent backups. It becomes supremely Jelenedra if you don't. Simply plopping the old drives into a new computer or motherboard, on the other hand, is much simpler. Motherboards and computers can be replaced, your data can't.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
shanpooter
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 September 26, 09:47:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I understand now  Sad  And you are correct.  I was only thinking about financial things, but loads of personal data is more important.  Before I did my reformat I backed up about 8 dvds worth of stuff, and I'm sure I'll find that I missed something.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: