More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:08:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Something Fantastic
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Something Fantastic  (Read 9428 times)
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
Something Fantastic
« on: 2006 September 24, 02:40:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This game:

http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/flowing/core.html

It's actually someone's art school thesis... which I guess explains why it's so pretty- but it's also so much fun...

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
Re: Something Fantastic
« Reply #1 on: 2006 September 24, 06:25:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I tried it, but I found it somewhat confusing.  Took me a while to work out what the red & blue meant, I thought it was those circle things that keep appearing, but I think it's the creatures.  So what the circles are I have no idea.  Anyway, after I'd eaten a few I ended-up going round & round in circles with no more appearing, so it got a bit boring!  I suppose I was doing it wrong.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
mdrturner
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 September 24, 08:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Loved it. Just wasted 3/4 hour playing it  Grin

Stealing someone's ideas is plagiarism ......   Stealing everyones ideas is research.
Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 September 24, 08:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I tried it, but I found it somewhat confusing.  Took me a while to work out what the red & blue meant, I thought it was those circle things that keep appearing, but I think it's the creatures.  So what the circles are I have no idea.  Anyway, after I'd eaten a few I ended-up going round & round in circles with no more appearing, so it got a bit boring!  I suppose I was doing it wrong.

Same here. Smiley

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
tIIsuggas
Garrulous Gimp

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 September 24, 09:01:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My daughter will love that game.

She plays similar ones from here. http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/
siggylove
Furry!
Knuckleheaded Knob

Mr Flibble's very cross

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 September 24, 09:58:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pretty but like Ancient Sim, I ate everything I could see and then nothing else appeared - perhaps I shouldn't have eaten everything (burp).

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotamy
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 September 24, 11:25:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This game is cool. I'm now in the circular stage…

If you've eaten everything, look for the red and blue circles. They indicate where the critter with a red or blue centre is. Blue gets you up one level, red gets you down one. The goal is to eat all you see (except red and blue, use those only to skip levels), until you reach the bottom level where the "end boss" appears. If you can defeat him, you go to the next lifestage.
I estimate that after circular stage the manta ray stage comes.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 September 24, 13:06:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, this thing again. Did they add more levels?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 September 24, 13:26:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Im wondering,s ome levels got some mighty big critters in them, big square dudes that seem to chase me around. Any way i can eat them?

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 September 24, 15:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got as far as having three filled-in circles and two that weren't.  Sometimes there were little + signs and the screen flashed, but I don't know what was happening there.  As for the circles, what are we supposed to do with them?  The creature doesn't go into them and I couldn't get him to either, they weren't accessible, they just flashed on and off.  After a while, nothing happened at all, as I said, so how do we find this 'end Boss' creature? 

IIs there nowhere where there are more detailed instructions?  The ones on the site are extremely sparse, they don't really help at all and I don't really know what Jordi means about skipping levels, because she says not to eat the red & blue things, but she also says use them to skip levels, so I'm still confused!  Oh, and I tried the download version to see if it was any better, but there are three versions in it and they all seem a bit different, so does anyone know if I should I be playing Classic, Widescreen or Official?

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
siggylove
Furry!
Knuckleheaded Knob

Mr Flibble's very cross

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 September 24, 15:10:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah ha thanks Jordi - of course, RTFM helps too!

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotamy
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 September 24, 15:56:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ancient: I'm a he  :p

There are three special critters:
-ones with a red core will get you to a lower level,
-blue cores will get you to a higher level,
-ones with an 'x' (or '+') in the centre will upgrade your beast.

Since the goal of the game is to finish a level and then move down, you should avoid the blue and red ones until you've cleared a level. And then you typically eat the red one.
The blue and red circles which appear in the level tell you where blue&red can be found.

cyperangel: look for the 'balls' inside them, and eat these. Avoid their mouths, or they'll eat you, and kick you to a higher level (use a red critter to move down again).
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 September 24, 18:56:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The circles are like little ripples in the water- you can use them to navigate, because swimming towards them will take you towards the red or blue creatures.

You can eat anything, even creatures larger than you, by eating the large, bright dots in their bodies. When you eat all of those, they sort of fall apart into a bunch of different components you can eat to make your organism grow and evolve. So eat things on each level, then eat the red one to go deeper.

At this point I don't really spend that much time at each level, I move to the end faster, because you don't actually have to be stronger/better evolved than the boss to kill it, and it's actually an advantage to go in with less.

Not sure what happens after you beat the second level, because my game froze at that point. I think it was my fault for switching to MSN right when it ate the egg or something because it got all messed up.

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 September 25, 00:40:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if you keep going down and down (via the red things), you will eventually encounter this Boss guy and something else will happen?  Trouble with mine is that after a while nothing happens, my creature just hovers there doing nothing for ages, so I get bored and start again.  I don't seem to be able to get to the bottom, wherever that is.  I will try again ...

Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 September 25, 00:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't feel bad Ancient, I think I got to the bottom (at least there weren't any more red circles, just blue ones) and I swam around and around and then just sat and waited for about 10 minutes. I never did see anything at that level except the blue thingies. I got bored and gave it up.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 September 25, 01:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is...bizarre to say the least.  I feel like I jsut witnessed the evolution of the food chain or something.

*Weirded out!
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 September 25, 01:59:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

seems like abit of a rip off Spore
moonluck
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 September 25, 02:03:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure this was made before Spore's first stage was shown.

Or I could be totally wrong...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 September 25, 02:04:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

seems like abit of a rip off Spore
Can't be. "Spore" doesn't exist. It's nothing more than Maxian lies and propaganda. Therefore, this is first.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 September 25, 02:26:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can understand not trusting EA, or even Maxis as an entity, but Will Wright?

I considered Spore to be more of Wright's than Maxis'.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 September 25, 03:21:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will Wright is also nothing more than Maxian lies and propaganda.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 September 25, 03:23:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This game is truly beautiful.  I love bioluminescent creatures, they are one of the most amazing facets of Nature.  Thankyou for the link.  (Oh, and the music puts my baby right to sleep--HOORAH!!) Kiss
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 September 25, 13:42:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, the music reminds me very much of the background music in some of the later Myst games.  Very nice and soothing.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 September 25, 21:04:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It helps if you go up a level and swim around a bit... you can usually see blurry shapes that show what is happening below you, and then figure out which direction you need to swim after eating the red thing to find them.

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 September 25, 21:52:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMGWTFBBQ SPOILER WARNING: (highlight to view)

After you get to the bottom and defeat the "boss", your worm thing is reborn as one of the jellyfish things. Similarly, when you complete the jellyfish stage, you go back to the worm thing stage.

However, there is a common glitch where the "rebirth" never takes place, meaning that you can only swim around aimlessly.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: