More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 04:33:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  New CEP
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New CEP  (Read 9737 times)
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
New CEP
« on: 2006 September 14, 12:56:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New CEP at MTS2 includes Gunmod's radiance lighting mod if you want it too, both the older and newer beta versions.

C

eta:  fixed weird link thingy.
« Last Edit: 2006 September 14, 13:17:31 by cwieberdink » Logged

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
Re: New CEP
« Reply #1 on: 2006 September 14, 13:11:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm...you'd better fine-tune the link cwieberdink. This is what it links to: http://"http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=92541&c=1Wink

Let the Beast inside you free!
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 September 15, 01:59:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I dont want the lighting feature. Have you seen peoples pics that have the lighting mod *coughBrynnecough*

pfft.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 September 15, 02:04:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My lighting is just fine. Nyah.

Actually, I don't use that mod, anymore, and haven't in months.  Tongue
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 September 15, 02:24:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, that looks normal to me.  Roll Eyes
Silly Brynne.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 September 15, 03:03:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The good thing is, that you can choose whether or not the lighting mod is installed, nectere. Also, I don't really think the update is really needed unless you have the Glamour pack.
KittKitt
Garrulous Gimp

Blarg! Er, I mean, Meow?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 September 15, 03:07:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I dont want the lighting feature. Have you seen peoples pics that have the lighting mod *coughBrynnecough*

pfft.

It's specifically designed to be optional.  The installer even gives you a means to restore the lighting to "maxis default" (which would normally be a rather scary proposal) -or so the readme-posts say anyway.  I haven't snagged it as yet myself.

Also, am I correct in my understanding that essentially, all the radiance light system is doing is basically changing the way light emitters are handled in the game?

The post text is pretty vague, and all I really got from the screen shots was "this is not a 3d render!!oneone!"

I tried to read the manual, but frankly, I've become very spoiled by MATY's RTFM's.  Dry text without any mention of halitosis that goes on for pages and pages without just simply explainging the thing is really hard for me to read now.  Tongue

-Kitt

Normally, my spiffy avatar-matched banner-thingy goes here.  Since no one else here seems to use those though, and I have nothing particularly witty to add, this space has been intentionally left (not entirely) blank.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 September 15, 03:25:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, am I correct in my understanding that essentially, all the radiance light system is doing is basically changing the way light emitters are handled in the game?

Yea, that's pretty much it -- it makes the lighting more 'realistic' and adds two twilight periods to the day as well. So folks like it, others think it's too dark.  The nice thing about the way Numenor has included it in CEP is, as you mentioned, it can be added to your game, and if you don't like it it can be reversed very easily.  I tested it, and it does removed the radience mod as promised.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 September 15, 09:40:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's good. I was looking at this last night and wondered whether to bother but maybe now some brave soul *hands jsalemi a twinkly star and chocolate* has I'll nab it. I'm still making my mind up about the radiance mod, though. I do like the twilight effect, but I also think it can be too dark. Is there a way of modding this, or maybe I should keep my gob shut and go ask at MTS2?

Meh...
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 September 15, 09:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Keep in mind Numenor's installer overwrites your userstartup.cheat file and disables all bumpmapping.

For a better RLS, use the one here in Peasantry, with the native shaders.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 September 15, 09:43:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My biggest gripe with that mod was performance hit. Strange, as people with inferior machines reported that it worked just fine for them. Maybe I'm searching for excuses to ditch my trusty old Northwood...?

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 September 15, 09:46:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you mean, "performance hit"? I have encountered some strange things since installing this and that bloody toddler mirror *remembers to go and uninstall said mirror* e.g. my screen judders and jumps. Didn't happen previously at all.

Meh...
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 September 15, 09:53:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you mean, "performance hit"? I have encountered some strange things since installing this and that bloody toddler mirror *remembers to go and uninstall said mirror* e.g. my screen judders and jumps. Didn't happen previously at all.

Nothing that extreme, no (I have said mirror as well btw, but I've never used it), just a drop in the fps rate. You know, the game started to chug. Not to the point of becoming unplayable, but still slower than without it.

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 September 15, 09:56:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheers, mate. I'll go and check this out again.

Meh...
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 September 15, 10:02:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, the more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that the first time I checked this mod out I had my old Radeon 9200 card installed. I've been running with a Radeon 9600 Pro for quite some time now, and though there was a substantial improvement (all settings except shadows maxed out, Smooth Edges at 2/3) I still feel the game chugs along when many sims are around. Dunno though, I might give it another go too.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 September 15, 11:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh Brynne - I still love that pic lol

*and still dislike the mod Tongue
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 September 15, 13:48:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Keep in mind Numenor's installer overwrites your userstartup.cheat file and disables all bumpmapping.

For a better RLS, use the one here in Peasantry, with the native shaders.

That's only if you choose the 2.2 version of the Radiance Mod.  The 2.1 version doesn't change the file or disable bumpmapping.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 September 15, 14:15:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh Brynne - I still love that pic lol

*and still dislike the mod Tongue

Well, you'll be happy to know that I, too, got tired of the dark pics (although it does look great in videos), so I haven't had the lighting mod installed for a few months, now.

And, nyah.  Wink
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 September 15, 14:16:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was positively surprised at Numenor when I uninstalled the Radiance system and my old userStartup.cheat was restored.  I didn't have to do anything.
That was a great relief, as I've made mine from scratch and I can't play without my shortcuts.  It would have taken me a lot of work if I had to re-write it.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
KittKitt
Garrulous Gimp

Blarg! Er, I mean, Meow?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 September 15, 14:36:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was positively surprised at Numenor when I uninstalled the Radiance system and my old userStartup.cheat was restored.  I didn't have to do anything.
That was a great relief, as I've made mine from scratch and I can't play without my shortcuts.  It would have taken me a lot of work if I had to re-write it.

Numenor is one of those 'at least AS awesome as you' sort of folk.  I mean, he's can't be quite MATY obviously, else he'd have a section here, but he's one of the people who's stuff I trust on his name alone.  It's very rarely borked, and if it is, he'll fix the damn thing instead of giving you a bunch of lip about it.

-Kitt

Normally, my spiffy avatar-matched banner-thingy goes here.  Since no one else here seems to use those though, and I have nothing particularly witty to add, this space has been intentionally left (not entirely) blank.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 September 16, 01:18:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can someone who has tried both versions tell me the main difference between Gunmod 2.1 and 2.2? (Besides bumpmapping being disabled). I've been using 2.1 but am wary to go to 2.2 for that reason, plus I don't quite understand the differences.

It's handy to have the new CEP installer around because I like to go back and forth between Maxis lighting and Gunmod's, but it was kind of a pain to do so. The installer makes it easy.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 September 16, 05:14:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm with Brynne. I installed the lighting mod yesterday to see what it was like, and although it was lovely, especially at sunset, the light level is just too low for taking decent pictures. If I played with it in, I'd be pausing the game to put a lamp next to my sim every time I wanted to take a picture. I wish someone could revise it and turn the light level up a bit.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 September 16, 05:18:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a more up-to-date version here in the Peasantry forum that's better at some of the lighting, especially for things that have been added in E/SPs since the last real Gunmod version (2.1) came out.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 September 16, 13:13:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a more up-to-date version here in the Peasantry forum that's better at some of the lighting, especially for things that have been added in E/SPs since the last real Gunmod version (2.1) came out.

Except that one comes with the painful install/uninstall, right?

c

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 September 16, 14:16:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, it is a manual process, though I wouldn't call it 'painful'. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pages: [1] 2 Print