More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 09:08:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Mortgage Hack
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Mortgage Hack  (Read 6304 times)
Lelani
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Mortgage Hack
« on: 2006 September 08, 04:13:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the sims buying a home method is stupid. Some sims have insignificant, low paying jobs that wouldn't allow them to own a home outright. But thanks to Maxis' 20k handouts (no pay back required) they can. Then there are sims I have mercilessly worked so they can afford to move from a one room shack to an overpriced two bedroom home. Almost all of their money is spent leaving little to furnish the new place. I know Maxis added the inventory to fix the buy home-no furniture problem; still, it's not satisfactory.

I wish the buy home method was more realistic. I want my sims to pay a down payment on a house and have a mortgage. I want them to have to work for their dream home. Not every sim is meant to be as rich as the Goths; some don't deserve to.

So here's what I was thinking: Let's say that a sim has maybe $10,000 or $15,000 to spare without going broke. In order to buy the home they would have to secure a loan. The loan would be repaid from the sim's paycheck. A fixed payment should be required daily or every couple of days. If the sim fails to pay then no payment/late fees would be added to their debt. If a sim dies, then the sim who inherits the house will be responsible for payments. I also think the fixed payment amount should be determined by the size of the loan.

This is an idea I've been mulling over for a few days now. What do you guys think?
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
Re: Mortgage Hack
« Reply #1 on: 2006 September 08, 04:18:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge had a mortgage shrub, but she no longer operates her site. The Laden Swallow has a lot of her mods, try this link:

http://www.nectere.net/smf/index.php

Other than that, Monique over at MTS2 has a computer that lets you take out a loan, and you have to pay it back whenever your regular bills come. It's added on to them. It also charges you interest, by the way.

It is rather more Real Lifeish to have to pay back a huge debt, isn't it? Cheesy

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Rascal
Corpulent Cretin

Most Awesome Cat - RIP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 September 08, 04:50:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use these http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=122224

They are a series of buyable paintings that look like loan certificates.  You pay 1% per day interest and repay the loan by selling the painting in buy mode.  I think they work more or less the same as Inge's shrubs.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 September 08, 04:55:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cute, although I, personally, do not believe in loans, so sims that have no money simply suffer in poverty on their empty lot until they can afford a better lot or find someone rich to marry.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lelani
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 September 08, 06:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the references. I'll try the shrubs, but they don't seem harsh enough. I think the sims should feel the burden of an obese mortgage versus their thin paychecks. And as such, they will accumulate debt and more debt. They should want to buy a big screen tv and a car,  but never quite be able to afford them. They should experience what it's like to work from 8 to 4 and still be dead ass broke. Some sims may actually work their way out of debt, while others will wallow in it and die. Not every sim should be destined for platinum old age retirement. Some are just meant to live, work, and die.

At least that's the way I see it.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 September 08, 06:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not really sure I comprehend the logic which even gets people to that state. You seem to be asking for a set of contradictory things. On one hand, you want to be able to reenact your poor financial management in real life in the sims....but on the other hand, you want this to happen despite NOT engaging in poor financial management in the sims. I don't get it. This shouldn't happen to anyone in REAL LIFE, either, provided they are not STUPID. However, most people are stupid. Correspondingly, most people actually need the motherlode cheat.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 September 08, 06:59:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1% interest per shrub PER DAY is a heck of a lot of money actually.   So if they have a nice house fully mortgaged they could be paying 2300 a day for it - they'd both need to be chiefs of staff and not go out or buy clothes.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Lelani
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 September 08, 08:45:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm going to try the mortgage shrub with the Lawerence family. I've been planning to move them for a while. ::claps:: Will enjoy this new edition to the game.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want all my sims to suffer--- except for a certain select few. Cheesy I just feel that Maxis made everything too simple. Granted, some people like things simple. I have friend who's sims are happy and rich. I find that boring. I like to mix things up for interesting storylines. My neighborhood is divided by class i.e. wealthy, moderately wealthy, upper middleclass, lower middleclass, just above poor, and flatout poor.

For the record, my finances are fine. I wish I could say the same for my cousin and brother. Believe it or not there are people who do the dumbest things with their money. For instance my cousin managed quite nicely to put together the money to throw herself an $800 party and to buy herself a stereo system that cost over a thousand dollars. But when it came to buying her kids clothes and needed supplies for school, she came begging for a handout. I find sims, particularly wannabe rich fortune sims, have a knack for the same clueless indulgence--- and sometimes I let them go straight into the poorhouse for it.   Grin
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 September 08, 11:50:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't get me wrong. I don't want all my sims to suffer--- except for a certain select few. Cheesy I just feel that Maxis made everything too simple. Granted, some people like things simple. I have friend who's sims are happy and rich. I find that boring. I like to mix things up for interesting storylines. My neighborhood is divided by class i.e. wealthy, moderately wealthy, upper middleclass, lower middleclass, just above poor, and flatout poor.
Well, sure. You can give them no additional money and on top of that, give them dead end shit-pay jobs working for a local ownable business. That'll keep them in the poorhouse just fine. I just don't see how "loan shrubs" fit into this at all.

holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 September 08, 12:10:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think they mean, a sort of  No20khandout thing for cas sims. Like maybe sims could start off with say 5k (just enough to buy a lot) and then have to take out a mortgage to build a house .
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 September 08, 12:45:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think they mean, a sort of  No20khandout thing for cas sims. Like maybe sims could start off with say 5k (just enough to buy a lot) and then have to take out a mortgage to build a house .
CAS sims haven't run any BHAVs, so don't seem terribly hackable. If you want them to start with however much you want, just use the familyfunds cheat to set them to however much you want them to start. Not that 20K buys very much anyway.

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 September 08, 12:59:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JadeElliott talked about this in her Isle of Thyme posts; you might try doing a search and reading through them as she has a unique method for handling loans.  Plus, her neighborhood is eye candy.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 September 08, 15:49:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the record, my finances are fine. I wish I could say the same for my cousin and brother. Believe it or not there are people who do the dumbest things with their money. For instance my cousin managed quite nicely to put together the money to throw herself an $800 party and to buy herself a stereo system that cost over a thousand dollars. But when it came to buying her kids clothes and needed supplies for school, she came begging for a handout. I find sims, particularly wannabe rich fortune sims, have a knack for the same clueless indulgence--- and sometimes I let them go straight into the poorhouse for it.   Grin

I have someone like that at home. Most of the time I call him "my son", but ever so often I call him "the changeling".

Plus, her neighborhood is eye candy.

That they are, indeed. Every once in a while I go to her page just to get very envious about her neighborhoods. Wink

~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 September 08, 20:51:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every once in a while I go to her page just to get very envious about her neighborhoods.

Me, too.  I visit when my sense of inadequacy needs to be heightened.  Always does the trick.
Lelani
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 September 09, 01:33:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have someone like that at home. Most of the time I call him "my son", but ever so often I call him "the changeling".

Plus, her neighborhood is eye candy.

That they are, indeed. Every once in a while I go to her page just to get very envious about her neighborhoods. Wink

Grin ::dying laughing:: Mom told me my cousin was canned from another job. For now on whenever I see her I'll be calling her " the changeling" in my mind.
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 September 09, 01:58:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh my gawd, you guys made my day.

I had the shittiest day from holy hell...and then I read these nice words...

Thanks!

I am so happy I can make you all feel so inadequate. That's so sweet.

*huggles everyone*

Also, I recommend Monique's computer for loans, rather than Inge's bush. (I always feel sorta dirty saying that.) I never really understood the concept of them and Monique's computer charges interest in a simple way that I understand.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 September 09, 11:25:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was using Monique's Landlord & Tenant mod for this exact purpose.  It's a bit tricky insofar as it's meant to be used to pay rent, not mortgages, but I just made a note of how much they'd paid and when they'd reached the total I transferred ownership to them (which meant I had to familyfund them the money as they'd already paid it and then delete it from the original owner, who had already received it).  I stopped using it in the end because the mod wasn't working properly, it kept reverting to weekly payments instead of daily and I got terribly confused about who had paid what & when.

I would say probably the best way would be to remove their 20K via familyfunds (or however much of it you want to remove) and then use Inge's mortgage shrubs, which will enable you to move them into a house that costs more than they have as long as it's set-up in advance.  I think it would be great if the game reflected real life more and there was a choice of buying or renting houses, but Maxis couldn't possibly be that sophisticated.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 September 09, 14:17:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am so happy I can make you all feel so inadequate. That's so sweet.

Glad to be of service, JadeElliott!

I just make sure I have a bottle of antidepressants handy when visiting Thyme.   Grin
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 September 09, 14:54:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here, Jade. Anything for the person who provided so many great links, especially my new all-time favorite house Cheesy

Ancient, do you mean that the Landlord-Tenant mod doesn't work generally, or just the way you tried it? I downloaded it because I'm getting ready to graduate a boatload of YA's from college, and I want them to rent. I use the noHandout mod -- well, who gets out of college rich anyways--- so that seemed like a good thing.

Oh well, I still have Inge's apartment stuff, I just don't know whether it works with OFB. I guess I have to trundle over to TLS and see if there's some info on that. Nectere will know, because....all Necteres rock.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: