More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 09:04:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge  (Read 395961 times)
Bleached
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge
« Reply #550 on: 2008 July 13, 05:08:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pinstar made it pretty clear that any clever work-around of his rules was cheating because when he wrote the challenge, he changed the rules several times when people thought up ways to work around restrictions. So the question really is, do you want to play completely within the letter and spirit of the rules? Because in that case, your solution is not legal.
Okay, then. I think I'll go with the spirit of the rules thing... Besides, my sim has to work on bringing up her creativity, so she can eat dinner tonight. So no music.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: 2008 July 13, 09:47:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking at the rules that I printed out when this challenge was new, I see the following under Science:
"Sms may not purchase or use anything from the electronics category except for a single computer, a single phone, and a single boom-box (the $99 one)."

So, unless this rule was changed by rules for Pets or a later EP, they are allowed music from the start without needing a car to get around the Science restriction.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Bleached
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 2008 July 13, 14:40:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right. I'm an idiot.
< Needs to read things more carefully.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: 2008 July 13, 21:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's true. I tend to make them do other things for fun, anyway, like play chess, which gives them skill points as well, and logic is useful because it means they can build up to being able to meditate. The cheap stereo is only useful for getting body points and if they are non-platinum or non-green mood.

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
Bleached
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 2008 July 13, 21:36:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good point. I usually end up with my sims playing chess for hours on end, and the stereo sitting neglected in the corner. Another question, I didn't see anything in the rules about buying and selling dreamcatchers to get money. Is it legal or not?
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 2008 July 13, 22:41:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good point. I usually end up with my sims playing chess for hours on end, and the stereo sitting neglected in the corner. Another question, I didn't see anything in the rules about buying and selling dreamcatchers to get money. Is it legal or not?

I think that's illegal due to the Art restrictions. Let me look.

ETA: Yup:

Quote from: Art Restriction
-No items from the "Wall hanging", "Sculpture" or "Rugs" tabs may be bought.
Quote from: Business Restriction
-You may not sell items via the buy or build tab. (You may still sell build mode items, such as walls and stairs)

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: 2008 July 14, 00:59:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that's illegal due to the Art restrictions. Let me look.

ETA: Yup:

Quote from: Art Restriction
-No items from the "Wall hanging", "Sculpture" or "Rugs" tabs may be bought.
Quote from: Business Restriction
-You may not sell items via the buy or build tab. (You may still sell build mode items, such as walls and stairs)

The only time they aren't illegal is at the beginning of the challenge during Uni as no restrictions apply

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Callista
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 2008 August 29, 00:43:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am just starting this challenge. I've got a college graduate Sim to torture... wish me luck! Smiley (Gonna need it.)

Question: I am bringing a couple of aspiration rewards home in my inventory, which you're allowed to do. What are the rules on bringing home things prohibited by the restrictions--say I wanted to bring home a fire alarm, for example? Keep, but not use, right?

Officially Weird
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: 2008 August 29, 01:02:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So long as you don't use the item before you are permitted to use it, you can bring it home and keep it in your inventory.  Although I don't think I'd bother wasting one of my three inventory spots on a fire alarm.  It's been a while since I played an Apocalypse challenge, but IIRC by the time you can use one, you can buy one.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
Callista
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 2008 August 29, 01:23:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, kind of figured that. It's all "you can't buy or use", so bringing it home to keep but not use would be legal. I thought fire alarm because I had such trouble with unskilled cooking in the Asylum challenge; but realistically, a founder with maxed Cooking skill shouldn't have a lot of trouble with fires, and by the time the founder dies, somebody else will have the skill you need.

I just wish I'd gotten a Founder with a max 7 skills LTW; that would have her in permaplatinum by now. She wants to reach the top of the medical career.... bleh.

Any way to tell the aspiration of somebody before you move them in or marry them? I guess you could ask them "what do you want" and deduce it from that; anything more direct?

Officially Weird
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: 2008 August 29, 02:56:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dating is the easiest. Won't give you LTW (the only way to is to cheat a bit and make them selectable).

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Callista
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: 2008 August 29, 05:27:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe I should pick another college grad for this... I haven't even scoped out the townies yet...

Nah, I'll mess it up the first time anyway. Finally got some time to myself (I'm helping a friend move, so NO free time, basically), so I'll start this one through the challenge today.

BTW, is it normal for slower computers not to be able to handle 8 Sims in a small lot with only a few items? I did fine with Asylum (8 sims on a simple lot) only because I was never able to turn the speed up past the slowest--watching for fires will do that. Uni loading times are murderous on my computer... I almost never play uni.

I might have to add an additional limitation to my own challenge--no more than 4 Sims on the lot at any given time--so I don't have to play the entire time on slow... Is that an 'unfair advantage'?

Expansion packs available: Nightlife, Pets, University. So no snapdragons or cheesecake... At least I have experience with uncontrolled sim elders. Thank you, Asylum.

Officially Weird
hedgekat
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 2008 August 29, 07:57:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What your computer can handle depends as much on amount of memory  and your video card as it does on processor speed.   I had a 6 year old computer and could run 12 or more sims on a medium lot with no difficulty.  It was an AMD 1800+ with 768MB Ram and a GeForce 4 video card.  Texture display was blurry but I rarely had lag when playing.  But then I normally play on slow when I have a large family since I am a heavy micromanager.   With only 256Mb Ram it was Very Slow.  Adding extra Ram helped tremendously.
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 2008 August 29, 20:28:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dating is the easiest
Yeah but you can really only do that with the founder while in college since you can't date until you unlock Show Business.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 2008 August 29, 23:36:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dating is the easiest
Yeah but you can really only do that with the founder while in college since you can't date until you unlock Show Business.

That's why you have your founder do a lot of dating while in college.  You can find out useful things about potential spouses for future generations - their career & level, their aspiration, etc.  Depending on which restrictions are lifted early, your founder may also be able to introduce the potential spouses to the first or second generation heir.  Plenty of dating while in college also helps with the startup cash, as your founder can sell the date rewards.

KnowitallSim
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 2008 November 15, 04:13:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This challenge is hellish.

Someone should have made a mod that implemented all of the rules.

So hard to remember...
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: 2008 November 15, 12:20:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dizzy made a hack that implemented all the Asylum rules, maybe he'd be interested in doing something for this challenge. Ask him, he's at the Laden Swallow. Smiley

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 2008 November 15, 21:13:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This challenge is hellish.

Someone should have made a mod that implemented all of the rules.

So hard to remember...
Problem is, you'd have to have a hack to cover every possible EP combination.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 2008 November 21, 18:01:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd be happy for one that auto-deducted funds for the Criminal restriction. I don't play the Sims to do maths!  Lips sealed

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Callista
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: 2008 December 16, 07:02:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Regarding the criminal restriction--If you're using method 3, paying $150 times the number of weeks, and you don't have enough cash, what do you do? Do you have to switch to one of the other methods, or can you sell off items for the money? That should be prohibited by the Business restriction normally but I get the feeling that it's more realistic to give the mob your extra furniture than to say "I don't have enough"... Technically, using the sell-and-re-buy method you'd end up not having enough money to re-buy stuff... opinions? any official word?

Officially Weird
TheGreatGatsby
Blathering Buffoon

Minyun of Scarcity

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: 2008 December 16, 15:46:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Regarding the criminal restriction--If you're using method 3, paying $150 times the number of weeks, and you don't have enough cash, what do you do? Do you have to switch to one of the other methods, or can you sell off items for the money? That should be prohibited by the Business restriction normally but I get the feeling that it's more realistic to give the mob your extra furniture than to say "I don't have enough"... Technically, using the sell-and-re-buy method you'd end up not having enough money to re-buy stuff... opinions? any official word?

Yes, I believe you can sell furniture in this instance.  Since method 1 involves the selling and re-buying of furniture, I don't think it breaks the "Business" restrictions.

Let's see what the rules say:

If you do not have enough funds to pay the entire bill, you must use method #1
Callista
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: 2008 December 16, 18:03:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was under method 2. But yeah, I can't very well refuse to pay the mob, so it's got to be something like that. Tongue

I'm doing something I'm not sure is legal--but is it permissible not to lift Hopelessness with your founder? I have an adult-start with a Pleasure sim founder and bad luck with jobs. She's female so she can have an heir without moving anyone in. I've just never seen it done before so I don't know if it's legal, but most people start in college...

Officially Weird
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 2008 December 16, 18:55:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I don't see what point it would have. To lift hopelessness, you just have to reach the top of any career. So, unless you don't want your founder to unlock anything at all, what is the point?

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: 2008 December 16, 19:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plus, part of strategy is finding a high-level careered mate to move in and unlock a second career.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
antechinus
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 2008 December 16, 21:06:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm doing something I'm not sure is legal--but is it permissible not to lift Hopelessness with your founder? I have an adult-start with a Pleasure sim founder and bad luck with jobs. She's female so she can have an heir without moving anyone in. I've just never seen it done before so I don't know if it's legal, but most people start in college...

Yes, it is legal. It will delay everything by a generation but you will have longer to skill up the child, and get them friends, thus improving their chances. You will also be stuck with a useless, senile elder on the lot eating food and taking up one of the places.

I have just completed the first stage of an adult start- unlocking hopelessness and adventure. I have played an adult start now about six or eight times. It relies on a high element of luck. This time I used a female knowledge sim. She took 5 days until adventurer came up. Adventurer or medical were my first two preferences for careers, so that was the first piece of luck. In the five days she made 8 friends by talking to almost every walkby. A game of snowball fight or water balloon gets them close to friends status, then talk-gossip or talk about hobby. I try to stop at about 60 -70 points as there is a greater chance of them visiting again. I also managed 5 body points, 4 mechanical and 2 charisma, so she could take advantage of promotions immediately.
Fortunately this time I didn't get any of the bad chance cards- I had a couple of games killed by them. If you get several demotions or fired there is not enough time left to get to the top of your career before senility sets in.
She reached the top of her career by day 27, chose the elixir as the career reward. Meanwhile she found a partner who is a GP. On the next Tuesday he moved in. This is as far as I have played. I am still trying to figure out a set of rules incorporating Free Time, as I don't think Pinstar is planning to update them.

An antechinus is a small carnivorous marsupial- with interesting reproductive behaviour.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: