More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 18:39:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge  (Read 395908 times)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Re: Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge
« Reply #375 on: 2006 October 09, 02:17:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I get "too cute."
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 2006 October 09, 02:35:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah I see. Yes that is cute. (and I did at least mention that would make it faster ;)

Unsouper
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 2006 October 09, 02:55:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But how do you ensure it happens? You would have to unlock culinary early.

daedreem
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: 2006 October 09, 02:59:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could also ... I don't THINK it's prohibbitted? but it MIGHT be.. I'll look later..
Bring a "too cute" cake back from college?

That's going by the assumption I've seen here that things the founder brings from college do not count as going against the rules.
Just pull it out as needed... that's a lot of twins.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: 2006 October 09, 03:21:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's the no food in inv rule, and the rule about desserts that isn't here, but is on another forum.

The first time Alvaron mentioned this he* referred to OFB in conjunction with Culinary/Military for your founder & spouse.  The second time he said "The challenge can be done faster with OFB and the correct unlock sequence"  So yeah, culinary would be a given.   And military to send them off to college to make room for more.  Once you can start sending your teens off to college, always have 7 sims in the house (your breeder and 6 growing) leaving one slot free for a sim to return & lift a restriction.  Move the founder's spouse out once he's lifted his restriction, then invite him over when you need him to father the next pair of brats.

The founder would be fertile for 6 pregnancies - 6x3 = 18 days.  Factor in a few days until you could send the first pair off to uni, to make room for the next pregnancy.  Doable without vamping or elixir for a female founder.  But you might want to have her fall in love with a vampire anyway, to hold in reserve, in case you need to vamp her to keep her fertile.  Doable, but I don't think I could do it, I'm not awesome enough.

* My apologies to Alvaron if I should have used she instead of he.

EDIT to add: Darn ... now you guys have gone and done it.  I was going to play with the careers I've been downloading this weekend.  Now I want to play this challenge again instead.
« Last Edit: 2006 October 09, 03:42:57 by Kyna » Logged

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Alvaron
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 2006 October 09, 05:46:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT to add: Darn ... now you guys have gone and done it.  I was going to play with the careers I've been downloading this weekend.  Now I want to play this challenge again instead.

Hee hee... just when you thought it was safe to go back into the simulation, the challenge pulls you back in!  Grin

I'm still messing around with OFB, learning how the business lots work (and don't work  Wink). Earlier in this thread, somebody (Ivy, I think) mentioned that sims could gain skills on a business lot. Other than talent badges, it doesn't happen for my sims. Am I doing something wrong?

Barring a gender change while I was sleeping, Alvaron is a he. Cheesy

Old Texan Proverb: engage brain before engaging fingers.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 2006 October 09, 06:21:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Going right back to the beginning of this challenge. 

I know my founder can't have an off-lot business pre-apocalypse, but there's no rule stopping her going downtown and working as a dj is there?  Now that's she maxed out creativity, if I put a dj booth, grill, espresso machine and bathroom with shower on a downtown lot she'll be able to stay there ringing up simoleons for as long as I can stand it.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
daedreem
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: 2006 October 09, 06:55:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hee hee... just when you thought it was safe to go back into the simulation, the challenge pulls you back in!  Grin

I'm still messing around with OFB, learning how the business lots work (and don't work  Wink). Earlier in this thread, somebody (Ivy, I think) mentioned that sims could gain skills on a business lot. Other than talent badges, it doesn't happen for my sims. Am I doing something wrong?

Barring a gender change while I was sleeping, Alvaron is a he. Cheesy

The person earlier in the thread had the community skilling hack, and had forgotten to remove it, if I remember correctly.

And no, gender changes don't happen while you sleep...  Isn't that when you drink a yellow potion?  Wink

(PS...  I remember gender changes in some game...  Not the sims... but that SURE would be a fun addition as a backfire!)
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 2006 October 09, 10:09:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think the no desserts would matter from something brought back from Uni (as everything else brought back is ok, even though it's restricted) but I guess you couldn't put it back IN inv after you took it out, so only one set of twins without lifting culinary. Still even one set would help.

I know my founder can't have an off-lot business pre-apocalypse, but there's no rule stopping her going downtown and working as a dj is there?  Now that's she maxed out creativity, if I put a dj booth, grill, espresso machine and bathroom with shower on a downtown lot she'll be able to stay there ringing up simoleons for as long as I can stand it.
I sure hope that's legal. As I've lifted military, even my not founder YAs are doing it. They can't have parties, dates and outings yet, but they can go to community lots now and I can't find anything that says they can't work as baristas and djs and whatnot. Unless I'm missing something and then, oh well, I'm planning on doing it again anyways.

Unsouper
Sketch Elder
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 2006 October 09, 14:19:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still messing around with OFB, learning how the business lots work (and don't work  ). Earlier in this thread, somebody (Ivy, I think) mentioned that sims could gain skills on a business lot. Other than talent badges, it doesn't happen for my sims. Am I doing something wrong?
Skilling on business lots is limited to Cooking and Body skill, and I believe that Body skill is limited to 6. These two skills are used in restaurants to control Chef and Server performance, so they can be learned the same way that badges can, including the lack of a progress bar. Other skills can only be trained at business lots if you're using a hack.

It seems to me that it's alright to bring a 'too cute' cake from college, but the 'no food in inventory' restriction means you'd have to place it on the lot immediately, and it would probably spoil long before you were ready to use it. You'd risk food poisoning with every pregnancy, but if you meditate through pregnancies and start with high Comfort and Energy, the food poisoning should be cured by the time of birth. Keep the serving platter on the roof or behind a locked door to prevent the Sims from throwing it out after it spoils.

If you already did a Uni business, then keep going with the challenge. Because it's not yet on the offical site, you don't need to call it a broken rule.
There's still no rule on the official site regarding businesses in college and Pinstar has updated the Apocalypse challenge at least twice since he made this comment. I'd say that pre-Apocalypse businesses are allowed.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 2006 October 09, 16:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems to me that it's alright to bring a 'too cute' cake from college, but the 'no food in inventory' restriction means you'd have to place it on the lot immediately, and it would probably spoil long before you were ready to use it. You'd risk food poisoning with every pregnancy, but if you meditate through pregnancies and start with high Comfort and Energy, the food poisoning should be cured by the time of birth. Keep the serving platter on the roof or behind a locked door to prevent the Sims from throwing it out after it spoils.

Cheesy This is so disgusting. "What treasure did you bring back from college?" Some runny green goo that used to be a cheesecake. mmmmmm.

Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: 2006 October 09, 20:13:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This restriction in the Natural Science block:

"-Sims may not buy or use the flower-arranging bench, nor any of the flowers it produces."

Does this bar them from visiting Community Lots that already had snapdragons placed?

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: 2006 October 09, 20:27:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still messing around with OFB, learning how the business lots work (and don't work  ). Earlier in this thread, somebody (Ivy, I think) mentioned that sims could gain skills on a business lot. Other than talent badges, it doesn't happen for my sims. Am I doing something wrong?
Skilling on business lots is limited to Cooking and Body skill, and I believe that Body skill is limited to 6. These two skills are used in restaurants to control Chef and Server performance, so they can be learned the same way that badges can, including the lack of a progress bar. Other skills can only be trained at business lots if you're using a hack.

If you already did a Uni business, then keep going with the challenge. Because it's not yet on the offical site, you don't need to call it a broken rule.
There's still no rule on the official site regarding businesses in college and Pinstar has updated the Apocalypse challenge at least twice since he made this comment. I'd say that pre-Apocalypse businesses are allowed.

Combining the above...

And since my name was brought up yet...lol...I will add my additional 2 cents worth.

Speaking of your founder on a business lot, and aside from comm-skilling/traditional skilling items, and aside from the above mentioned ways of earning skillpoints, you can also gain skillpoints two more ways that I can think of on a business lot: outings and the sim-vac.  Yes, the sim-vac...one of the most overlooked aspiration rewards for this challenge IMHO.

Not only can you suck skillpoints out of those simmies you aren't planning on using or other unsuspecting simmies along the way, you can also suck their aspiration points for a quick boost to yours.  There's no restrictions on aspiration rewards for your founder at all, and whether or not you use the sim-vac on a business lot is a moot point...it can be done home or business lot. 

When you think about it, that's really a powerful item to consider unlocking as your one aspiration item to unlock when you unlock Science.  Then you don't have to worry about which sim is in which career for which reward item.  Just go around sucking the skillpoints out of other simmies.  And if by some weird twist of fate you run out of sims to suck points from from your "other" pool, why not start sucking from those that have already reached the top of their careers?  Really those folks should be just as much fair game as anyone else.  And it's not that hard to repair the relationship hits from the sim-vac anyway.

Hrm, sucking seems to be quite a theme for this challenge...vampires, sim-vac...hehehe.

Just another angle to consider on this challenge...suck your way to the top!

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Ivy
« Last Edit: 2006 October 09, 21:15:06 by Ivy » Logged

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 2006 October 09, 23:29:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've just started this challenge, and skill points by dating and vac are high on my list of strategeries. My founder is a romance sim, so I am also working on getting her permaplat.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 2006 October 10, 00:27:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I considered the simvac but didn't bother as I thought I might want the sims with good skills for spouses later and it was just too easy to max all skills for the founder. She didn't have anything to do at Uni but skill.

She went downtown, dated, earned, money, dated some more (for the extra energy hit) or caffeinated, called all her profs and friends, etc. The only things she did at home were the occasional class (plenty of influence so the dormies did her assignments and term papers except the last few min. for the aspiration pts.) and skilling. Well and jumping in the energizer. She left the last cooking skill because she rolled up a want to fill it and that and the corresponding "gain a cooking skill pt." were a nice easy platinum when she got home.

The vac would have been nice for the heirs tho. Call up all those worthless losers in the romance game and vacuum them all up. Can kids use it?

Unsouper
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 2006 October 10, 00:35:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was planning on vaccing the dormies, since there is no point AT ALL in marrying them.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 2006 October 10, 00:56:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True enough, and they're annoying and ugly besides. Sounds fun even. I turned most of mine into zombies when the apocalypse hit.

Unsouper
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 2006 October 10, 05:12:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made a zombie family in the main hood. They run a florist shop, and they might just happen to hire a promising undergrad as a part-time flower-arranger.  Grin

Treehugger
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 2006 October 10, 13:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made a zombie family in the main hood. They run a florist shop, and they might just happen to hire a promising undergrad as a part-time flower-arranger.  Grin

Err, I tried that on my second run through the challenge.  Doesn't work, business owners can't hire young adults.

However,playable business owners can very useful in other respects.  I mean why fill up your founders valuable inventory slots with fripperies like snapdragons, munchiebots and cheesecakes of doom?

When you can sell said items to the potential spouses of the founder and fill their inventories.

At least the cheesecake will be fresher...
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 2006 October 10, 14:01:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Err, I tried that on my second run through the challenge.  Doesn't work, business owners can't hire young adults.

My business owners get dormies come up on the hire menu all the time.  The last dormie I hired in one of my businesses was also in the process of being pledged to my Greek House to be the placeholder until the next generation was ready to go to uni.  So he became playable, and kept his job as an employee while still being a YA.  I also had Mary-Sue Pleasant hire Angela to work for her while Angela was at uni - that was to satisfy Mary-Sue's want to hire Angela.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 2006 October 10, 14:11:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The ability to hire YAs is a product of the "no lame hires" hack, and perhaps a few others from less awesome people. It's not standard behavior, not that this makes much of a difference, as who you hire is largely irrelevant.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
daedreem
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: 2006 October 10, 15:08:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The ability to hire YAs is a product of the "no lame hires" hack, and perhaps a few others from less awesome people. It's not standard behavior, not that this makes much of a difference, as who you hire is largely irrelevant.

That sounds cool... I may have to look up said hack.

When it's not broken, I tend to prefer keeping standard game behavior, because otherwise it's too tempting to make things too easy... But I despise the fact that young adults, the age group most likely to have lousy part-time jobs, can't be hired.
 I do also dislike the fact that you can't actually hire ANYONE part time... everyone you employ is actually full-time, as you see when you play a family with one member emplyed by a business. - any hack to address this? Smiley yeah.. I know.. doubtful. But I'd love to employ, say, teens, and then find they work 3-6 instead of 9-5.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 2006 October 10, 15:21:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OFBp2, teens work 1500-2000 instead of 0900-1700.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 2006 October 10, 15:28:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, I thought that because Mary-Sue rolled up the want to hire her YA daughter that it must be possible in an unhacked game. 

Silly me.  I should know by now that just because a sim rolls up a certain want doesn't mean the want can actually be satisfied.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 2006 October 10, 15:30:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The want can appear because the hack makes it possible to do so, so it becomes wantable.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: