More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:43:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge  (Read 395869 times)
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
Re: Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge
« Reply #75 on: 2006 September 06, 23:51:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And none of this matters in light of a few 0day exploits I've spotted.

If I'm thinking what I think your thinking after thinking about this...eh yup. 

Grades do matter. If you graduate with a 4.0 GPA, most jobs in the newspaper will be level 3 and the ones that match your major will be level 4.

I stand technically corrected, thank you Smiley.  They will get beyond level 1 with good grades from the newspaper and more so with properly aligned majors.  But in light of other more significant realizations that I've come to about this challenge, I still hold to my original theory that effectively grades don't matter.  Spending time on worrying about a 4.0 for your founder is IMHO wasted.

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Ivy
« Last Edit: 2006 September 07, 00:24:50 by Ivy » Logged

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 September 07, 00:49:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I read it right "you cannot move in or marry in any sims" until Hopelessness is lifted.  So your founder has to hit top of their career fast before they can marry.  Permaplat at Uni is pretty much required.

Also, "Sims may not buy or use the flower-arranging bench, nor any of the flowers it produces" until Natural Science is lifted.  Does this mean the founder can't bring snapdragons from Uni and use them?

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2006 September 07, 00:58:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

More clarifications:

1. Does the driveway tongue need to be in the 8x8 area, since it cannot be detached, or does the 8x8 area need to be drawn to include the driveway?
2. If a bloodline member does not live on the lot, either because he moved out, or because he did not join the lot from college, does he, and can he still, unblock one of the restrictions?
3. Can a bloodline member return to the lot if moved out or returning from college, even if "Hopelessness" has not been satisfied yet?
4. Does the use of the paranormal award, explicitly permitted in the "Paranormal" restriction description, count as moving anyone in, since you do not actually move-in or marry?

1. The Tongue (the part that touches the sidewalk and the space beyond onto the street) does NOT have to be part of the 8X8 area, but the rest of the driveway must be. See my "Witch Hut" safe house for how to include a driveway in an 8X8 area.
2. No
3. If they moved out via 'find own place' no. if they are returning from college. Yes.
4. Ressurection counts as moving a sim in. You could ressurect in a sim they would become a spouse to the family. Otherwise they can't move in (Remember, ONLY would-be spouses that are earmarked to bring in the next generation can be moved into the family)

In light of the potential abuse of the time-freeze of a Uni business, I'm going to rule that you may not own an off-lot business in Uni. Not because you couldn't for story purposes, but because the idea of the Apocalypse is that it happens at a specific point of time. Specifically: Graduation. The idea of Uni is that you are racing against a ticking clock, one that you cannot stop.

In regards to academic probation, I'm going to rule that you may only play 8 full semesters in Uni. Thats how long you have until the power plants blow. If you go on academic probation, that counts as one of the 8 semesters...forcing you to drop out when you reach 8. You must pass each semester in order to graduate.

What kind of Legacy will YOU leave?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 September 07, 01:04:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3. If they moved out via 'find own place' no. if they are returning from college. Yes.
What if they were never moved out, can they still be moved in?

4. Ressurection counts as moving a sim in. You could ressurect in a sim they would become a spouse to the family. Otherwise they can't move in (Remember, ONLY would-be spouses that are earmarked to bring in the next generation can be moved into the family)
Can someone be resurrected in even if Hopelessness is not yet filled, as long as your sim is able to use the paranormal reward?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 September 07, 01:22:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And none of this matters in light of a few 0day exploits I've spotted.

If I'm thinking what I think your thinking after thinking about this...eh yup. 

Care to share with us mere mortals?

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 September 07, 01:25:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If i may, i'd like to throw a new wrinkle into this challenge.   And no, i have no pre-set idea on how to benefit from it.

From the Challenge Scenerio:
    It's the super bowl and all across the region, people are watching.

I take it you are referring to American Foodball's Super Bowl, which happens in Fed, and for most (if not all University's here) is the start of the 2nd smemster of the school year.
   In this case:
     1.  The Founder would be forced to move back to the Home Neighborhood at the end of his 7th semester, can NOT graduate.  (Since future YA's have to go to a desert/soil campus, that meant this campus was affected by the Meltdown's)
     2.   No Univ graduate may be moved into the home Lot until a Blood direct descendent graduates, there-by showing that the Univ is up and running.

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: 2006 September 07, 01:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In light of the potential abuse of the time-freeze of a Uni business, I'm going to rule that you may not own an off-lot business in Uni. Not because you couldn't for story purposes, but because the idea of the Apocalypse is that it happens at a specific point of time. Specifically: Graduation. The idea of Uni is that you are racing against a ticking clock, one that you cannot stop.

What are we now, psychic guinea pigs?

Uh, according to the story we've been given, we don't know a thing about the effects of the Apocalypse until we return home.  You've even stated that our founder does not need to graduate.  Therefore, the idea that the Apocalypse happens at graduation is either false or the story we've been told is incorrect or you're telling us now that we have to graduate college...

Or plain and simple it's a loophole you're trying to now go back and close...

Huh  Huh  Huh
Ivy

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 September 07, 01:31:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that time-freeze from businesses is the least of your worries, and Hook has already demonstrated you can leech hundreds of Ks in just tip-leeching from Uni alone. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2006 September 07, 01:44:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course you can, but that's not the point here :p

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Ivy

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 September 07, 01:57:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aaaaagh! Leeches!!

Still waiting on a ruling about moving people into the dorm.

I think we should stop asking questions about possible loopholes because this is resulting in them getting closed.

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 September 07, 02:12:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why shouldn't they be closed? We're looking for a hard and interesting challenge, aren't we?
Queenofsimtopia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 September 07, 02:40:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey everyone!  I have a question.  Until you reach the top of the Showbiz career, you can't practice in the mirror (aka no charisma points)  How do you can skills then in order to get job promotions?
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 September 07, 02:44:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can practice in the mirror, you can't change your appearance.

Queenofsimtopia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 September 07, 02:45:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

O thanx!  I misread the rules and was like "How do they expect my sims to get to the top of Showbiz without charisma!"  I feel totally stupid now...
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: 2006 September 07, 02:53:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm, as far as I know they can already practice charisma, but other ways to do it:

1) Make sure they have maxed charisma already as a toddler via the rabbit head.

2) Unlock Business before Showbusiness for the execuputter usage

3) Unlock Science before Showbusiness and choose the simvac as your only aspiration reward

4) Unlock Alien Technology.  Use simvac to suck points out of some unsuspecting person.  Granted, this is last-minute measure...but good if you need the points desperately.

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Ivy *goes back to playing nice* Wink

GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 September 07, 03:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If a teen has a job, leaves for Univ, would that qualify quiting that job, thereby blocking that career?

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 September 07, 03:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, because it doesn't say you quit the job.

Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 September 07, 04:21:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the rules say "loses employment in a career for any reason".

All generalizations are false, including this one.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 September 07, 04:30:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, it's not like teens don't usually take some random career they never intend to pursue now anyway.

Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: 2006 September 07, 04:38:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What if they were never moved out, can they still be moved in?

Can someone be resurrected in even if Hopelessness is not yet filled, as long as your sim is able to use the paranormal reward?

3. How can you move back in if you never moved out?
I don't get it.

4. No. Think of moving someone in via Ressurection as just another flavor of marry/move in. If it is allowed for marrying and moving in, it's allowed for Ressurection. If it's restricted for marrage/moving in...it's restricted for Ressurection.

What kind of Legacy will YOU leave?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 September 07, 04:44:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

4. No. Think of moving someone in via Ressurection as just another flavor of marry/move in. If it is allowed for marrying and moving in, it's allowed for Ressurection. If it's restricted for marrage/moving in...it's restricted for Ressurection.
What if you're resurrecting a bloodline member? If a member of your bloodline dies, can you resurrect him anyway?

GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 September 07, 05:08:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, it's not like teens don't usually take some random career they never intend to pursue now anyway.

Worst case scenerio, both my Founder and spouse fail to unlock Slacker Career, but do manage to get the Lie Detector from Criminal before getting fired.  Might end up being the only way to get the next gen's Creativity would be a teen job in Criminal.   Of course, it's entirely possible my Founder never unlocks a career and dies a lonely death.   Damn chance cards.  I'm thinking it's more vital to bring back at least 1 Elixer-Of-Life, to cover that possibility.  
   I've read that it's possible to get a YA abducted at Univ, would getting my founder YA abducted,  qualify for the Alien Technology unlocked?
   (From J. M. Pescado - What if you're resurrecting a bloodline member? If a member of your bloodline dies, can you resurrect him anyway?
   Are you thinking along the lines of, resurrecting one of your sims, who has already unlocked a Career, thinking they are now eligible to unlock a different career?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 September 07, 05:16:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I'm thinking of something entirely different.

GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 September 07, 05:17:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I'm thinking of something entirely different.

<< plays 20 questions.

Is it bigger than a breadbox?

Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 September 07, 05:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're not going to get anything out of JMP that way.  Cheesy  I'd think that it would be fair to resurrect a sim from the bloodline as long as you follow the other rules regarding the object, and anything they were disqualified from doing when they died (like unlocking another career) is still disqualified.  But I'm not Pinstar so I can't say.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: