More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:22:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge  (Read 395913 times)
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Pinstar's new Apocalypse challenge
« Reply #25 on: 2006 September 05, 03:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure i agree with your viewpoint.   True, i'm still a complete newbie when it comes to playing Sims, but this wouldn't be a 'hands-off' type challenge like the Asylum would be.  You have total control when they make their one meal a day, if a fire starts, woudn't you still be able to have your sims(s) get out their own fire-extinguishers?

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 September 05, 03:14:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking that this challenge would be pretty difficult, but if you can handle your Sims reproducing a lot in one generation, it wouldn't be tough at all.
Isn't that already "hard" as it is?

The main problem would be making sure your Sims didn't burn to death; the founder would pretty much have to be Captain Hero, as far as I can tell.
I don't really think fires represent a real risk when you rule with an iron fist like I do.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 September 05, 03:34:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking that this challenge would be pretty difficult, but if you can handle your Sims reproducing a lot in one generation, it wouldn't be tough at all.
Isn't that already "hard" as it is?
Well, I thought it would be until I started doing it. Now it's just sort of irritating trying to remember all the kids' names. It's true that they don't each end up with the same skillset and time in platinum as they would if there were only two of them, but they're all growing up platinum and getting many scholarships to college. It comes down to how long you can stomach raising baby after baby after baby. It is a pain, but not really "hard". No elixir of life would complicate things, of course.

The main problem would be making sure your Sims didn't burn to death; the founder would pretty much have to be Captain Hero, as far as I can tell.
I don't really think fires represent a real risk when you rule with an iron fist like I do.
John: Sims can get out their own fire extinguishers. The problem comes with getting them to actually stop screaming long enough to do so.

So how would you avoid fires if you could only cook on the cheapest grill, then? They can't visit community lots, so no stealing food. They can't have a fridge, so they can't just eat lunchmeat sandwiches and instant meals all the time. They would have to eat at home sometime. What am I missing?

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 September 05, 03:40:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

John: Sims can get out their own fire extinguishers. The problem comes with getting them to actually stop screaming long enough to do so.
If you play with Firemod, sims will not moth the fire and will eventually learn to quit screaming and put it out themselves once they get used to the idea of things being on fire.

So how would you avoid fires if you could only cook on the cheapest grill, then? They can't visit community lots, so no stealing food. They can't have a fridge, so they can't just eat lunchmeat sandwiches and instant meals all the time. They would have to eat at home sometime. What am I missing?
You can visit community lots if you unlock Military. And the answer, obviously, is that there is no food. Simple. Eating food is a barbaric practice anyway.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 2006 September 05, 03:53:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why can't they have a fridge? Fridges are in a seperate category, and in fact the rules for culinary give hints about turning the fridge around after the one-meal-per-day has been used up.

I highly recommend gelatin for its long shelf life.  lol

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Ivy

GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 September 05, 04:13:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL, just to show everyone how far i am from awesome, i can't even figure out what to do without showers/baths.  As a test, i started a sim in univ, 0 neat, 10 outgoing, 9 active, low in last two, Knowlege Sim.  I'm only on the morning of the 2nd day, and his constant yelling at me because of the flies buzzing around him is irritating.  Would being in hygiene desperation have any side-effects?   Increased chance of illness/disease for instance?  Or is it just something i'd have to put up with.  I've already tried having him washing his hands, and it took too long just to bring it up.
   And yes, i know the starting Sim CAN use a shower, just trying to look ahead.

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 September 05, 04:18:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you need LESS WHINY. Tongue

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 September 05, 04:46:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking that gen 1 would clearly be the jello generation because of the fire risk and the food restrictions. This is fine. I can see a strong argument for unlocking military as soon as possible, because if you leave it for a generation, that means none of gen 2 can go to uni, right? As far as the other one goes, I am not sure. Given the need for skilling, and the restrictions on skilling objects, it might be fairly important to get some smartmilk.

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 September 05, 04:51:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've already tried having him washing his hands, and it took too long just to bring it up.
   And yes, i know the starting Sim CAN use a shower, just trying to look ahead.

Your sim can bathe at the sink (it's an autonomous action, so leave him alone and see if he'll do it). Serial hand-washing will bring hygeine up eventually, but does take a long time.

Fail.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 September 05, 05:00:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking that gen 1 would clearly be the jello generation because of the fire risk and the food restrictions. This is fine. I can see a strong argument for unlocking military as soon as possible, because if you leave it for a generation, that means none of gen 2 can go to uni, right? As far as the other one goes, I am not sure. Given the need for skilling, and the restrictions on skilling objects, it might be fairly important to get some smartmilk.
Yeah, but you don't actually need to unlock smartmilk to use it, since aspirational rewards you already possess can continue to be used, you just can't buy more. A smartmilk holds 5 rounds, so two dispensers should effectively satisfy your smartmilking needs for a goodly chunk of the game.

GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 September 05, 05:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reply to J. M. Pescado  "I think you need LESS WHINY. "

lol, trust me, i thought of that at first, too bad this isn't a More Awesome Challenge.

"-Cheats, mods or hacked objects that would give you an unfair advantage over a player who didn't have or use them may not be used."

I adore all of my mods (especially most of yours), it just piqued my curiosity and i wanted to satisfy my own mind IF i was to attempt this.   Heck, i can't even bare to give up the very first hack i every got, 'nospoiledfood' by Monique.

I will say this tho, afternoon of the 2nd day, i had my very first ever Sim to take a sponge bath.  It seemed almost as effective as a mid-priced tub, so that does ease my mind.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 September 05, 06:00:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't qualify it as giving you an unfair advantage, since it doesn't actually improve things. Your sims will still be just as angry about it, they just won't bother annoying you. Also, it's an important fix, so you can't avoid it anyway. Tongue

Kokopelli
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 September 05, 07:00:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I for one am looking forward to treating my sims to this awesome challenge. Grin

Welcome to the dark side, don't forget your flashlight.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 September 05, 20:12:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"-Cheats, mods or hacked objects that would give you an unfair advantage over a player who didn't have or use them may not be used."

Since there is a page with free samples, I don't feel any MATY hack/mod is an unfair advantage. I can't help that not everyone uses all the resources at their disposal! *evil grin*

I'm thinking military first, then culinary, and hoping for an alien technology near the begining...to unlock the aspirations.

I do have a question about the spouses. The rules don't state whether or not the spouses need to be CAS sims. So, what's to keep my founder from marrying Morty (retired Scientist), and using him as the reason to unlock restrictions? As long as he knocks up the founder before he keels over (and provides the heir...), it seems perfectly legal to me!

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 September 05, 20:18:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because Morty never actually did the Science Career. Tongue He was just set as autoretired from it, and didn't actually *DO* it.

Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2006 September 05, 21:44:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes you can buy and use a fridge, any fridge. In fact the one GOOD thing the Life of Crime restriction does for you is re-fills the fridge every time you pay protection. The mob is kind enough to bring you food on pay day... so you can live just long enough to pay them next week.
Once you unlock the Crime restriction, you'll have to make sure you have some other way of obtaining food.

Here are a few other clairifications posted on other boards:

1. Regarding spouses: Only 1 spouse per generation can unlock a restriction, period. This spouse must contribute to the birth of the next generation. You may unlock the restriction before the next generation is born, but they must be the one to help bring on the next generation. The only exception to this rule is if the next generation is brought by alien pregnancy.
2. Spouses can keep their current job if they have one. If they are at the top of their career field, they instantly unlock that restriction (provided they are that generation's one spouse)
3. Regarding Law enforcement. I realize my goof. Yes teens can still go to school. They just can't get part time jobs or visit community lots without a 10 body.
4. The items that spouses bring may be added to the house. In fact, unless you have unlocked the athletic restriction, you must place those items until the spouse is holding 3 or fewer. It doesn't matter if you can use those items or not. If you place them on the lot, they'll begin to depreciate and you'll have to pay more protection money on them. Every spouse you move in could be a liability (Picture a spouse that brings 2 pianos and 2 DJ tables) until you unlock athletic (so they can hold onto all the items they bring) or business (so you can sell all the excess items).
5. Aspiration Reward objects may be among the 3 that the founder takes home with them. The reward objects would have to be purchased with the founder's own aspiration points. Career reward objects, found at the secret society lot, may NOT be taken back, as your founder did not earn them.
6. You can woohoo all you want in college, since the medical restriction (or any other restriction for that matter) doesn't apply to your founder in college.
7. Kids who return to college in later generations ARE under the restrictions.
8. Since there are no 'weeks' in college, Sims (other than the founder) attending college that have not lifted the life of crime restriction must pay protection once per semester, immediately after finals. If you have more than one family member attending at the same time and in the same lot,  the household only needs to pay protection once per semester.
9. The "Can't Leave Lot without a 10 body" restriction on Law Enforcement applies to teenage sims who wish to attend college. The challenge is designed to make it hard to return to college. After all, higher learning isn't possible until society as restabilized a bit.
« Last Edit: 2006 September 05, 22:54:34 by Pinstar » Logged

What kind of Legacy will YOU leave?
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 September 05, 22:19:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once per semester?  I can see twice during the time being at Univ, but...     lol  That 1200 they get won't go THAT far, at least for the sims i normally send thru.  Looks like i won't be sending kids to Univ until several restrictions have been lifted.  4th gen maybe, for me anyway.    lol

I'm given to understand, that while at Univ, only going to class would be allowed for future generations/YA's until Military was unlocked?

I was thinking to unlock Slacker first, as that would open up changing careers as much as needed, also allowing someone to get a career just to use a reward i might already own.  I always have terrible luck when it comes to those chance cards.

Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2006 September 06, 03:14:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there is a page with free samples, I don't feel any MATY hack/mod is an unfair advantage. I can't help that not everyone uses all the resources at their disposal! *evil grin*

I'm thinking military first, then culinary, and hoping for an alien technology near the begining...to unlock the aspirations.

I do have a question about the spouses. The rules don't state whether or not the spouses need to be CAS sims. So, what's to keep my founder from marrying Morty (retired Scientist), and using him as the reason to unlock restrictions? As long as he knocks up the founder before he keels over (and provides the heir...), it seems perfectly legal to me!

Oh bugger. Forgot to put the "NPCs or Townies" restriction in the main rules. Thats going up on the next update.

Only townies or NPCs can join the family. It's too easy to make player sims at the top of the careers you want unlocked with maxed skills to allow player sims to be married in.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 September 06, 03:17:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But we are free to make mutant townies, right? As long as they are random CAS sims (well, except for the mutant facial features).

ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 September 06, 03:22:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh bugger. Forgot to put the "NPCs or Townies" restriction in the main rules. Thats going up on the next update.

So, we're you're guinea pigs, hm? Do we get bonus points for that?
 Wink

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: 2006 September 06, 03:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well now if it wasn't in the rules to start with when posted, it doesn't count  Tongue  No fair changing the rules after the game is in play!

hehehe
Smiley Smiley Smiley
Ivy

ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 September 06, 03:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a strange query: where might one find the apocalyptic homes that Pinstar mentioned...since any links in there names seem to be AWOL.

Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2006 September 06, 03:35:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can make townies, as long as their careers, skills and friend totals are all random.

You can find the safe houses plus some stock zombies to download at my simpage
http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=131247

Frankenbeasley
The Preacher
Uncouth Undesirable

Diabolic Avocado

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 September 06, 05:33:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, basically, my first port of call would be the natural science restriction first. It's one of those start at the top jobs and immediately unlocks Snapdragon Bouquets. From then on lots of the restrictions are pretty meaningless.

Not dead but gone by four.
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 September 06, 06:42:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You wouldn't be starting at the top job, you are limited to lvl 1 jobs from the paper as the only thing you can do with the computer is 'write novel', until Science Career is unlocked.  And remember, there are some difficulties there, you can't sell the output from that workbench, tho i'd imagine you can delete them from your inventory, and you need to make sure you have room in your inventory to hold that arrangement.   It would definitely be one of those things you'd need to already have done while the Founder is in University, and hope for no bad chance cards.   Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: