More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 11:19:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Glamour pack installation problem
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Glamour pack installation problem  (Read 8282 times)
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
Glamour pack installation problem
« on: 2006 September 03, 00:11:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sister's copy of Glamour pack refuses to install properly.
The very first time she tried it, it did just fine, but it didn't show the message of updating the software. So of course assuming all was right with the world she started up the game, but the CAS didn't work. There was no model sim! Angry So she exited and restarted a few times, still with the same result.
Then she tried uninstalling and reinstalling; this time it showed the message about updating the software, but it said that her game was not installed or improperly installed and cancelled the installation. She's tried reinstalling the game about five times still with the same result.
Any help would be most appreciated!

All your base are belong to us.
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
Re: Glamour pack installation problem
« Reply #1 on: 2006 September 03, 00:15:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sister's copy of Glamour pack refuses to install properly.

Consider your sister lucky. Tongue

Did she do all the standard stuff like disabling firewalls and temporarily removing custom content?

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 September 03, 00:17:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yup. She even backed up all her game data.

It shouldn't matter that she doesn't have OFB or FFS, right?
« Last Edit: 2006 September 03, 00:22:41 by ChibyMethos » Logged

Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 September 03, 00:35:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It shouldn't, but then again this is maxis. Tongue

Is she installing the game into the default directory? Try going to that file path and removing the Glamour folder that the game placed, that should let it finish installing.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 September 03, 00:43:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is she installing the game into the default directory? Try going to that file path and removing the Glamour folder that the game placed, that should let it finish installing.

Yeah she is installing it in the default directory. Do you mean after the game is almost done installing, remove the folder when it gets to the updating software point?

Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 September 03, 01:16:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I mean remove the folder now and then install.  Smiley

ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 September 03, 01:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I mean remove the folder now and then install.  Smiley

Huh but there's no folder there.

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 September 03, 01:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What do you mean there's no folder there?  Did it get deleted somehow?  If that's the case, then you might have to go into the registry to delete all the entries pertaining to TS2 then reinstall.  CCleaner might get rid of the entries for you automatically if you don't want to do it manually, but I'm not sure about that.
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 September 03, 02:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok she tried installing again, and here's a screenshot of the message.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/galidor/Untitled-1.jpg

LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 September 03, 02:21:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps this is the computer's way of preventing itself from becoming rendered inoperable at the hands of faulty software. Tongue

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 September 03, 03:26:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The error message appears to make reference to the base game.  I've not purchased any "stuff" packs so don't know if error messages refer to the packs by name.

Can your sister open and play TS2, and have it run "normally"?

Is she playing just the base game or does she have NL?

Am a bit confused on what was uninstalled and reinstalled, so please be patient.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 September 03, 12:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Something went wonky in the installation and it looks to have screwed up even the base game. Make sure her neighborhoods, downloads, etc are backed up, uninstall the entire game manually (that means going into her registry to delete all the files that are probably left behind), and then reinstall.

I know, it's the cliche answer, but if it's corrupted the base game, or it thinks it has, there's no other way.

The game even tells you to back up before you install for times like this. Why they don't try to FIX the damn problem(s) instead of just warning us about it is obviously some Maxian reasoning, but you can't say we weren't warned.  Roll Eyes

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 September 03, 15:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you need a tutorial for install/uninstall, here's a nice one from the good folks at MTS2:

http://forums.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=139059

I know they have site loading problems. It's a popular site, what can I say? Just be patient if you can't get in right away.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 September 03, 18:08:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The error message appears to make reference to the base game.  I've not purchased any "stuff" packs so don't know if error messages refer to the packs by name.

Can your sister open and play TS2, and have it run "normally"?

Is she playing just the base game or does she have NL?

Am a bit confused on what was uninstalled and reinstalled, so please be patient.

She has NL and Uni. And Yes she can play NL and it run normally.

Something went wonky in the installation and it looks to have screwed up even the base game. Make sure her neighborhoods, downloads, etc are backed up, uninstall the entire game manually (that means going into her registry to delete all the files that are probably left behind), and then reinstall.

I know, it's the cliche answer, but if it's corrupted the base game, or it thinks it has, there's no other way.

The game even tells you to back up before you install for times like this. Why they don't try to FIX the damn problem(s) instead of just warning us about it is obviously some Maxian reasoning, but you can't say we weren't warned.  Roll Eyes

Thanks. I suppuse she can try that. I hope it works.

Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 September 03, 18:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why they don't try to FIX the damn problem(s) instead of just warning us about it is obviously some Maxian reasoning, but you can't say we weren't warned.  Roll Eyes

Honestly? Because there are so many variations out there on computer systems, software configurations, hardware configurations, etc. that it would be nearly impossible to try and compensate for every single problem that might go wrong.

I work in technical support and part of my job is dealing with problems with software installs. There are very few standards when it comes to computers and programmers are expected to make software that will work on multiple operating systems with multiple configurations and take into account any problems that might pre-exist with other software or malware. We had a situation come up a year or so ago where Windows did an update for XP and suddenly our software couldn't be installed. Our customers blamed us, even though it was an unexpected result of a security update by Windows. We got an update to our software out as quick as possible, but it was still an annoying problem. In addition, we have to be aware of whether the person is trying to install on an OEM system or not. There are permissions problems with Dell, HP, Gateway, etc that are different from the problems someone might experience on a generic or a home-built system.

If the software is installing fine on the majority of systems out there, there's probably nothing wrong with the design of the software. There's no excuse for shoddy programing, but there's also a level of common sense that needs to be followed. Backing up files is a good idea because even if there isn't the possibility of some glitch occurring and messing the software up, there's always the chance that someone might decide they don't like they expansion and want to get rid of it.

(And sorry for the mini-rant. I get kinda tired of all the Maxis/EA bashing. It seems the vogue thing to do to differentiate from the 'sheep' that congregate at the official boards. It gets just as annoying as the other end of the spectrum.)

ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 September 05, 19:26:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, everything was uninstalled and reinstalled, TS2, then GP and Uni and NL in that order, just to be sure. She's now a very happy camper as everything is now running smoothly. Thank God for external HDD.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. Kiss

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 September 05, 19:59:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the Good Old Days, you didn't HAVE problems installing software because software installed through the very simple expedient of COPYING THE DIRECTORIES. It was remarkably simple and effective. If something went wrong in that, it meant your disks or drives were FUBAR. Then people decided these stupid installers would be a great idea. Did I mention I HATE installers?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
KittKitt
Garrulous Gimp

Blarg! Er, I mean, Meow?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 September 05, 20:04:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the Good Old Days, you didn't HAVE problems installing software because software installed through the very simple expedient of COPYING THE DIRECTORIES. It was remarkably simple and effective. If something went wrong in that, it meant your disks or drives were FUBAR. Then people decided these stupid installers would be a great idea. Did I mention I HATE installers?
Don't even get me started.  I'm still busy whining about all this "user friendly" GUI crap that we've had shoved down our throats.  I miss the good old days of DOS when you told the damn computer what to do, and it did it.

Now it pops up some annoying little cartoon thingy and says, "I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand...  In Microsoft universe, Windows runs YOU!"

Blarg.

[/rant]

-Kitt

Normally, my spiffy avatar-matched banner-thingy goes here.  Since no one else here seems to use those though, and I have nothing particularly witty to add, this space has been intentionally left (not entirely) blank.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 September 05, 21:11:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Windows installers aren't that bad compared to Linux ones.  Ones such as YAST don't even work have the time, and you can easily bork your install with it.  Then again, Linux is for servers not desktops.

This "Windows Registry" is just spyware, it keeps remnants of the locations of files that you probably deleted a few months ago.  Not to mention that Programs really shouldn't need such a thing but they do anyway.
« Last Edit: 2006 September 05, 21:16:37 by Anonymous » Logged
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 September 05, 23:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is installing, exactly? I've always sort of wondered about this. Is it something beyond copying the relevant files? There has to be some reason why it's such a big production, but I can't really think of why. And if I could, it'd probably be wrong.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 September 06, 00:08:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Beyond unzipping and putting the files in the program directory, the installer adds a bunch of stuff to the registry telling your system and game where to find things.  Don't know if it does much beyond that.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
KittKitt
Garrulous Gimp

Blarg! Er, I mean, Meow?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 September 06, 00:22:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that's pretty much the extent of it.  They sometimes also modify older files, though I haven't looked to see if the Sims 2 expansions in specific do this or not.

"Registry" is basically a fancy word meaning, "Bloated index table to tell stupid operating systems where to find all the files other files are dependant on."

There are much better ways to do the same job, but MS likes it this way, because by default nature our computers get to store away all sorts of little bits of information about us.  Regardless what their PR department says, they've been caught more than once invading people's privacy in similar regards, and they're definitely pro-spyware -especially when the results go to them.

-Kitt

Normally, my spiffy avatar-matched banner-thingy goes here.  Since no one else here seems to use those though, and I have nothing particularly witty to add, this space has been intentionally left (not entirely) blank.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 September 06, 07:50:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* simsbaby points and laughs at the PC users.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: