More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 10:31:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Starbucks with your Sims?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Starbucks with your Sims?  (Read 10231 times)
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Starbucks with your Sims?
« on: 2006 August 31, 19:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.xgpgaming.com/news/news.php?id=3905

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Starbucks with your Sims?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 31, 20:21:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Advertising is not a stranger to some of their games, Need for Speed Underground 2 had Cingular as your cellphone provider.  If they do implement this feature into PC games, no doubt The Sims 2 will be affected.  Probably most of the objects coming with a new expansion would be advertisements for other products such as a Pepsi Machine or McDonalds stand.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 31, 20:28:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe in the next EP (or stuff pack) we'll see ads for Depends pop up while our elders watch the tube.  Or name brand condom machines located in the bathrooms downtown. 

The possibilities are endless.  Cheesy
Elven Ranger
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 31, 20:45:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dont think it will bother me very much if its been well tied into the game Smiley

WARNING:<br />I have dyslexia, so please excuse my crappy spelling & punctuation Smiley
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 31, 21:15:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I personally wouldn't be to happy about advertisement in the Sims. My hoods are my little dream worlds and the less it looks like RL the better. I really like that everything is 'simized' in the game, like the custom alphabet, and all the logos. Really don't know how to express this, it's just, meh, not my cup of tea.

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 31, 21:16:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Depends on how you play, some people made Walmarts when NL came out... so you know... Eye of the Beholder and all that.

If sims did have Starbucks in the game, it would explain why the baristas suck.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 31, 21:25:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Remember the TS1 Pepsi machine?

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Elven Ranger
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 31, 21:27:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yup. If its items like the coke machine, or a brand of coffee with its little advert on the paper cup ... then i'll be fine with it. But huge and blatent advertising .... un-uh!

WARNING:<br />I have dyslexia, so please excuse my crappy spelling & punctuation Smiley
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 31, 21:30:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. People mod everything about this game. What is stopping them from taking away the ads?
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 August 31, 21:37:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what recolors and default replacements are for!

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 August 31, 22:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what recolors and default replacements are for!

Exactly! And how in the world could they advertise in our games. Everyone has a different setup. Will all custom neighborhoods come pre-advertised? Doubtful. The worst they could do is change the food and drink brands,  maybe make a billboard or two, and the rest would have to be bought through buy mode which, ultimately, leaves it up to the player. I don't give a damn either way, I like realism...

I'll tell you one more thing...whenever I'm lost in need for speed, I usually find my way whenever I see a best buy.  Roll Eyes
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 August 31, 22:17:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sure can't wait for my Sims to use the Botox Plastic Surgery Station, or drink the Rejuvaskin Anti-Aging Elixer of Life--now with the sweet taste of Coke!

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
moonluck
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 September 01, 00:23:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually like it in most games. It's more realistic for a person in a game to drink a coke insted of cola. It would be different in sims games because they ain't supposed to be people they are sims. I admit that sims playing The Sims: Busting Out was funny the first time I saw it but it gets old fast. I really don't think that EA would be that stupid and add licenced products into the Sims.

Or I could be totally wrong...
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 September 01, 01:02:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't think that EA would be that stupid and add licenced products into the Sims.

But as people have pointed out, they already did--with TS1.  Adding such content in TS2 isn't that far of a stretch.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Soylent Sim
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 September 01, 01:36:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If they're smart, EA will let the fans come to the advertisers.  Remember the McDonalds campaign where you could get a CD with a few bits of sims1 furniture?  Once word hits the BBS that site X or promotion X can get new objects for their sims, fans will gleefully load such ads all on their own.

The only other product placement possible in the sims really seems like it would be a waste of money for the advertisers.  Usually in a movie/game the camera can be held just so to showcase the product without making it blatantly (and annoyingly) obtrusive.  In the sims, if it's not obtrusive it can easily be overlooked.  So while I wouldn't object to a real-world corporate symbol on, say, a sims billboard, I don't think advertisers would see it as worth their time.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 September 01, 01:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it would be funny if sims got junk mail in their mailboxes. Then someone could make a "no junk mail" hack. Cheesy

Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 September 01, 03:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kind of wish they'd make a deal with Konami so that my sims could play DDR.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
CatGirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 September 01, 03:24:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it would be funny if sims got junk mail in their mailboxes. Then someone could make a "no junk mail" hack. Cheesy

Hey, I want that for real life!
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 September 01, 05:07:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would it really be that different than it is now? Janna made a Starbucks set for sims, a Bodyworks, and some other stuff. I've seen various different McDonalds set ups from different places. People eat that stuff up. Some people would be super excited if we could get real life branding in our games.
Frankenbeasley
The Preacher
Uncouth Undesirable

Diabolic Avocado

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 September 01, 06:27:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's not forget that FIAT already released a FIAT car for TS2 on the UK site. So, the tie-ins are already working.

Not dead but gone by four.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 September 01, 08:19:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm honestly uncertain why some companies feel the need to advertise at all, really. I mean, is anyone seriously unaware of what McDonalds is or what they sell? Do they really benefit from general advertisements? Some product placement would be amusing and harmless, though.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Elven Ranger
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 September 01, 09:53:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, I want that for real life!

lol, me to!!! I got 5 letter's today, 4 were crap Undecided

Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 September 01, 12:42:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back here we have free stickers that you can stick on your mailbox. Yes/Yes for people wo want all the crap they can get, Yes/No for people who don't want flyers and crap but do want the local papers, and No/No for people who only want stuff with their specific adress on it.

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Frankenbeasley
The Preacher
Uncouth Undesirable

Diabolic Avocado

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 September 01, 13:18:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I mean, is anyone seriously unaware of what McDonalds is or what they sell?
They must be, they keep on going there....  Wink

I have never eaten from a MacDonald's in my life. I'd like to say that this is because of my disapproval of their reckless growth and globalisation or because of a deep understanding of the dreadful mixture of dodgy meat that goes in to ground beef or the conditions in which the animals are raised and slaughtered.

I'd like to say this but the truth is that the first time I saw that hideous, creepy, fucking clown, grinning inanely out at me from the idiot box, I swore on all that is dear to me that I would never give him a single penny of my ill-gotten wealth.

Not dead but gone by four.
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 September 01, 16:21:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate McDonalds and Burger King here in the states, but when I lived in Germany, yum! I used to have mozzarella sticks, poppers, or shrimp as a lunch-time snack.

The point of advertising a McDonalds is simple. A 12 year old is playing a game and passes a McDonalds every 25 feet. His mom yells, whats-your-name, what do you want for lunch? And he yells back, McDonalds. There you have it, advertising at work!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: