More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 13:33:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Yipes: no makeup and no new clothes?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Yipes: no makeup and no new clothes?  (Read 6827 times)
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Yipes: no makeup and no new clothes?
« on: 2006 August 26, 15:34:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On 8/24 all was well in Pleasantview.  Katie Avio changed her hairstyle and makeup, and bought some new clothes.

Yesterday (8/25) I download some hair.  Before I installed the CC I made a backup of my game.  Decided to bin the hair into its own folder using Clean Installer.

Started the game and opened my Montrose home.  Sent Zach to change his appearance and all the makeup option buttons are greyed out, except for the face makeup - and that only has "none" and one choice.  Their son had just transitioned to a teen and had gone clothes shopping, but none of his purchases show up in this closet.  Poor kid can't even choose a pair of PJs!

I removed the downloads folder; same problem.  I reinstalled my August 24 backup game with and without the downloads folder.  Same problem.  Moved all hair and meshes back into the general downloads area.  Same problem and it affects all households.  Didn't go into Uni but am sure it is a game-wide glitch.

Am guessing some file is corrupted and remember a somewhat similar issue I had in the base game with clothing, before any EPs came out.  I recall I had to regenerate an objects type file, but can't remember which file or the instructions. 

Probably not noteworthy, but against my better judgment a couple of weeks ago I did install the OFB patch - but got an error message and haven't tried since.  Only thing I noticed from that was a half-assed reset and a couple of my toddlers had lost all the skills they had earned.

Have not exerpienced any other glitches.

Any awesome advice most welcome and appreciated, as I can't imagine getting through the day without makeup or decent clothing.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Yipes: no makeup and no new clothes?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 26, 21:40:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could try replacing the objects.package file (that's probably what you are remembering that you did before):
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=134921
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 26, 23:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, that was the file I replaced in the base game; had missing memory icons and it did the trick.

This afternoon I decided to just uninstall and reinstall OFB, since that file would be regenerated.    After all, it rained all day and that gave me the excuse to devote the day to my 'hood.  Fat chance.

Reinstalled, but no solution. When a Sim goes to change appearance, if she is female there is no makeup, glasses, eyebrows or facial hair option.  The guys have no makeup, glasses, eyebrows but do get a choice of two beards.

Checked Uni and it is the same there.  I've now taken out my downloads folder.  Had done that before with no success but I don't think I rebooted the computer, so will try that. 

Am clueless - maybe I'll run SimPE and see what shows up there - not that I comprehend anything in SimPE, but maybe it will jump out and show me the light.

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Yipes: no makeup and no new clothes?/Objects.package file??
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 29, 02:01:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I've diddled around with my game for hours to no avail.  Followed all the suggestions over at MTS and even replaced my game files with an August 11 backup, trying it with the downloads in and with them out.  Game still works fine but the makeup/facial hair, etc. options under the change appearance command don't work (buttons greyed out).  That bugs me.

What is in an objects.package file?  Since my glitch deals with things that were set in the base game, if the objects.package file includes this stuff, could I copy that file from the base game CD and replace it?

The base game and every EP has an objects.package file.   I just have no idea what this file is.

Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and do the disk dance of uninstall and reinstall.    Undecided
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 29, 03:11:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Decided to bin the hair into its own folder using Clean Installer.

I'm sure someone more awesome than me will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe hair doesn't work if you put it in a subfolder.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 29, 04:01:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Decided to bin the hair into its own folder using Clean Installer.

I believe hair doesn't work if you put it in a subfolder.

That was true until Nightlife. It works perfectly well in a subfolder now.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 29, 05:40:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*shrugs* Well, hair never works for me in a subfolder and I have all the expansions.  I actually only realised this recently.  Then again, I have a grand total of 1 custom hair in my game.

Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 29, 06:28:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have all the EPs (not that family fun thing though) and all my hair is subfoldered.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 29, 13:01:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the suggestion, but moving the hair and meshes back into the dowloads folder had no effect nor did moving the downloads folder out of the game, although I saw a couple of my lady Sims visiting community lots with newly shaved heads.

In searching the archives, I did find a post by Motoki stating he had lost all Maxis hair and makeup, and that only custom content was showing up.  My glitch deals mainly with missing makeup, although some custom hair does appear in the noncustom Maxis hair options. 

Some game file is corrupted as removing my game folder to the desktop and generating a new game folder produced the same glitch.  Which is why I'm curious about what the objects.package files contains. 

If it does deal with makeup, hair, etc., then replacing the objects file for the base game and each of my EPs might be quicker than doing the dance of the ten disks (or whatever the number is). 

We'll see...

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 August 29, 14:29:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine is subfoldered, and not even as subfoldered as I would like.  Tongue

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 August 29, 17:20:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All my hair (and I have a lot) is subfoldered in many levels (sorted by site, artist, and mesh), except for one hair that only works if it's in the Saved Sims folder.  I never figured that one out.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 August 29, 17:26:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it's the same thing that's going on with my custom hair.

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 August 29, 17:55:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I think I'll leave the hair out of any subfolder, presuming I get things fixed.

By the way, do we get prizes for joining the uninstall/reinstall club?  A star for our forehead?   A big red "UR" for our chests?   Roll Eyes

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 August 30, 03:14:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Three hours later (includes one hour to defrag disk), things are back on track after installing the base game, three EPs and the holiday pack (because I had holiday roasts in my deli).

I give JadeElliot a shiny star to wear on her forehead for her suggestion (found during a search) to copy all the game files after a total reinstall as a backup.  If I screw up again, the reinstall time will be 15 minutes.

Now, off to fgure out what the heck was happening before things went wacky.

ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 August 30, 16:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*gives Ziggy a gold star for joining the dancing disk club*

I wish you luck.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 August 30, 17:18:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ziggy sticks gold star on forehead and jumps up and down

Thank you ElfPuddle! 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: