More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 11:29:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Clothing Mesh Causes Crash When Purchasing Community Lot (confirmed)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Clothing Mesh Causes Crash When Purchasing Community Lot (confirmed)  (Read 20011 times)
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
Re: Clothing Mesh Causes Crash When Purchasing Community Lot (confirmed)
« Reply #25 on: 2006 August 16, 06:59:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM:  Granted, they are not programmers.  Nevertheless, that still doesn't excuse their responsibility to read and comprehend the English language, their responsibility to give those that file problem reports written in a clear and precise manner the benefit of the doubt and go and test it for themeselves, and it definitely does not excuse them from simply ignoring a problem just because 'it's not possible' even though 'meshes are beta and unexpected things can happen'.   I'm not a programmer, and even I could connect enough dots to figure out there was a problem going on and could reproduce it every single time.  How deep it went, I had no idea...that took one heck of a programmer to figure out.  (And I'm ever so thankful, but I won't gush over that here, that would be useless spam...)

Kyna...lol...yes that must be it.  Thank you, I try to be as non-sheep like as possible.  Correct spelling I think is usually the first giveaway to a non-sheep.  Perhaps I blew their minds as JM had mentioned by spelling everything correctly...lol.  And Flylady would actually be okay with me today.  My sink is shiny, my hot spots are lukewarm...the only thing I haven't done yet is tuck myself in for the night.  lol.  Today is a good day! Cheesy

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Ivy

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 August 16, 07:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Luckily, FlyingPigeon seems responsible enough to pull the meshes, unless HystericalParoxysm persuades him otherwise. My jaw just about hit the floor when I saw her response to Sagana.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2006 August 16, 07:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you look at the individual threads, their note(s) about being removed have been removed.  So at this point, it doesn't appear that they will be taken down after all...

Ivy

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 August 16, 08:34:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Luckily, FlyingPigeon seems responsible enough to pull the meshes, unless HystericalParoxysm persuades him otherwise. My jaw just about hit the floor when I saw her response to Sagana.
That response was quite baffling, yes. Head-in-the-sand-denial that anything could ever end up on the exchange, and bizarre nonsense about being 13 to register. However, there *IS* no 13. Only 12.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 August 16, 09:53:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think they will come down <sigh> and apparently they're just incompatable with OFB :p

Are these the same meshes?

http://www.all-about-style.com/adult_feca7.html
Black Lace/ Bow Belt Top, mesh by Pigeon Sims included , and Beaded Floral Top, mesh by Pigeon Sims included

(All About Style, adult page 7, 2nd row from the bottom and all the ones on the bottom row and a couple on the next page)

I think they are, but am not sure. It's so hard to tell with clothes, especially really well-done ones. I emailed her in case they are. <sigh>

Unsouper
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 August 16, 10:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, they are. Yes, they will a splode your game.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 August 16, 10:24:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently I'm the one that's naive, I think creators and sites will take some responsibility and do the right thing. I have the very bad feeling that no one *told* All About Style (I should know her name, I've just forgotten it) that they cause crashes, or there's even the possibility they do. And I don't believe she put them up without permission - she always gets permission :p

No warning, nothing to indicate those are any different than any other mesh and they say OFB only <sigh>rather than definitely breaks in OFB, might break without any EPs at all.

Pes, do you know if they cause crashes in just a straight sims2 game? (I dunno why they wouldn't - finding a job in the paper is base sims2 code, but... I'm not a coder.)

I won't be downloading anything but full body meshes for awhile. I wouldn't much anyway (I prefer them and hey, they're cheaper ;) but All About Style is my exception. I love that site. I'm just lucky I don't have those yet.

Edit: some odd desire to spell definitely properly for a change and get rid of emoticons.
« Last Edit: 2006 August 16, 10:49:39 by sagana » Logged

Unsouper
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 August 16, 10:46:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The crashing will occur in any game, since the way the mesh is made is fundamentally illegal and makes the game barf.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 August 16, 10:47:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you. That's what I suspected.

Unsouper
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2006 August 16, 14:55:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think they will come down <sigh> and apparently they're just incompatable with OFB :p

Are these the same meshes?

http://www.all-about-style.com/adult_feca7.html
Black Lace/ Bow Belt Top, mesh by Pigeon Sims included , and Beaded Floral Top, mesh by Pigeon Sims included

(All About Style, adult page 7, 2nd row from the bottom and all the ones on the bottom row and a couple on the next page)

I think they are, but am not sure. It's so hard to tell with clothes, especially really well-done ones. I emailed her in case they are. <sigh>

Absolutely none of those showed up in my game when I downloaded them Cheesy Not quite sure why....I really think I'm going to remove all the 'dresses as tops' meshes and recolours from my game because when I used a community lot to buy clothes, it took forever to load up the clothing options. I cleaned and hoovered the whole room! (and I have a big living room) I think that these clothes are ok with just base, uni and nl, as that is what I was playing before I installed OFB and FF. Something screws them with the later expansion and stuff pack.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 August 16, 16:49:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The All About Style outfits that use this mesh have already been disabled. I can't get to my home email from work to see what (if anything) she said, but I just felt a real need to stop in here and say:

All About Style rocks!

Not 'awesome' Pescado coding Wink but I really appreciate that she cares and just took care of it right away (and I know the work she does takes a lot of time and care and that was quite a few outfits). Site's rep goes right up in my book.

Unsouper
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2006 August 16, 20:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that is one of my favourite sites. That is why I was so surprised that the outfits didn't show, cos her stuff is quality Smiley

Issy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 August 16, 22:13:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well my game just crashed twice after one of my sims tried to look for a job using the newspaper.  I know that I didn't download any of these tops so I'm not quite sure what it could be.

Last few days the only things I have downloaded was a couple of sims, houses and some of J.M's business related stuff.

Could it be it came with one of the sims I downloaded?  I can't even remember which one it was since usually I delete the sims if I don't like how they turn out after I downloaded them.

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction".  ~Antoine de Exupery
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 August 16, 22:53:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you keep the clothes in a separate folder, try removing the clothing (and sims, if you put the sims and the clothes they're wearing in the same place) downloads and see if it still crashes?

Unsouper
Issy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 August 16, 23:13:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The top she was wearing was made by Boutique Emilie, meshElauAFPantsWaistedHeels.package is the mesh.

You can find the top at http://www.boutiqueemilie.net/be_sale.htm, it's the second top on the top row (black long sleeved) in women everyday section.

Reason I didn't think it was a top earlier was because I downloaded this long ago but just didn't have any of my sims wear it yet.  Still not sure if this is the problem though.  I tried having her look at the newspaper for a job again and sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't.

Guess I'll just remove the top entirely and see if that was causing the problem.

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction".  ~Antoine de Exupery
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 August 16, 23:24:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's not the same mesh. It doesn't look like a full body mesh turned into a top only either. And I think if the mesh was the reason, the game would crash every time (because it can't properly create the thumbnail), so I suspect something else is the cause (but I'm not a coder, nor awesome, so add your own salt.)

Unsouper
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 August 17, 20:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems that it's only been recently that the game generates dynamic thumbnails when displaying a dialogue box, because I've only noticed it since I got OFB.  I think I definitely would have noticed before, because it caught my attention when I noticed that the portrait displayed was different.

Also, I know Pescado hates thank yous, and All Pescados Suck, but I was so grateful that he took the time to investigate my problem with the BUY toilet paper causing a CTD (crash to desktop) after putting in a new version.  I was still on NL, and he had redone all the hacks to consolidate NL and OFB versions, with code to detect what EP you have.  But something wasn't working right and it kept causing a CTD every time.  He didn't believe it at first, saying it was a "Rainbow problem," but someone else reported the same thing, and since it didn't happen with OFB only NL, he worked with me until we got the problem solved.  So while I don't care for some of his opinions and social skills, I have high regard for his skills as a programmer and his integrity. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 August 18, 08:47:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still can't find any kind of logical explanation for why it was doing that, given that the code in question was never invoked.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 August 18, 19:36:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems that it's only been recently that the game generates dynamic thumbnails when displaying a dialogue box, because I've only noticed it since I got OFB.  I think I definitely would have noticed before, because it caught my attention when I noticed that the portrait displayed was different.

I only have NL up to the latest patch, but I have dynamic thumbnails, so it's not just an OFB thing.  I notice it when my sim gets an invitation to go on an outing.  The dialog box sometimes shows the sim in work clothes, totally different from the thumbnail in the relationships panel or the address book.

It might have come with the 2nd NL patch, though I can't imagine why Maxis would put something like that in a patch.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: