More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:22:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Need advice about organizing downloads
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Need advice about organizing downloads  (Read 2757 times)
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Need advice about organizing downloads
« on: 2006 August 14, 22:23:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, classes don't start up until next week, so I'm thinking while I have this last week of freedom, I'm going to try and organize my downloads. Right now, they're all dumped into the Downloads folder, except hacks, which have a subfolder. I thought you couldn't put things in subfolders, but now I hear you can? So I can seperate my hair/eyes/etc? How many subfolders within subfolders can I have? Could I do Downloads/Hair/PeggySims2, or even Downloads/Hair/PeggySims2/NameOfHairStyle? Do meshes have to be with the item in question?

Also, I'm trying to use the clean installer to figure out what downloads are what, since many are just strings of letters and numbers. Some of these, though, don't have a "type" listed next to them, and don't have a preview pic that pops up when I click on them. Is it safe to remove these, or are they meshes that can't be removed?

Man, what a project this is gonna be. I kind of want to cry thinking about it.

Please help.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Need advice about organizing downloads
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 14, 22:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After nightlife, there isn't really any limit to how many levels of subfolders you can have.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 14, 22:38:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, classes don't start up until next week, so I'm thinking while I have this last week of freedom, I'm going to try and organize my downloads. Right now, they're all dumped into the Downloads folder, except hacks, which have a subfolder. I thought you couldn't put things in subfolders, but now I hear you can? So I can seperate my hair/eyes/etc? How many subfolders within subfolders can I have? Could I do Downloads/Hair/PeggySims2, or even Downloads/Hair/PeggySims2/NameOfHairStyle? Do meshes have to be with the item in question?

Also, I'm trying to use the clean installer to figure out what downloads are what, since many are just strings of letters and numbers. Some of these, though, don't have a "type" listed next to them, and don't have a preview pic that pops up when I click on them. Is it safe to remove these, or are they meshes that can't be removed?

Man, what a project this is gonna be. I kind of want to cry thinking about it.

Please help.

You can organize them however you like, some people even include a picture or pictures inside the folder so they know whats in there at a glance. You can also rename these files...

Most of the time (but not all) when the type isnt listed its either a mesh or a sim or maybe even a mod. If its red its a modification like a hack. If its pink its a duplicate file, sort by the md5 colum and you will be able to see duplicates better and then you can make the decision to keep the most recent by date.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 14, 23:02:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I started organising, I put my dowloads in folders by creator/site I got it from, with perhaps some subfolders if it is a site I use a lot.

Meshes do not have to be in the same folder, and in fact I have a folder of miscellaneous meshes that seems to work fine.

Myth
Pinheaded Pissant

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 14, 23:12:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This helped my when I started organizing my folders.

http://www.simposieum.net/content/view/47/6/

Rohina: Motion to Expel Myth from the Senate. Just testing an hypothesis. Nothing to do with the fact that she smells like ass.
Flowerchile: Have you be'd norty again Mythie?
Mythchick: No, I just followed Rohina around a little and now smell like ass.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 14, 23:49:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm trying to be as organized as JadeElliot...so here's what I do.

1. Every week (or two), I save my entire collection of downloads to a disk...just in case. There's a folder on my desktop with all the same folders and subfolders as the backup so that new downloads can be placed on the CD easily. (It won't be long until this is a multiple disk process, and I'm not looking forward to that.)
2. On that disk, I have fifteen folders: FAQ_info, programs, objects, MATY tutorials, Sims, Terrains, Walls & Floors, Lots, recat genes, Official, Challenges, Patches, PSV, Hacks & mods, and Majors&Careers.
2. Each of those folders has subfolders to simplify...Sims is divided into genetics, clothing_makeup, and packaged sims, for example.
3. Each of those folders is divided by site/creator.
4. Site/Creator folders are have sub-folders for large themes.
5. Every folder has a picture of every object or a picture of a set.

So, for example: If/When Brynne updates/changes SimBrynne again, I'll have a new folder....Sims/Packaged Sims/MATY/Brynne/v6 (7?)

The folder the game actually uses isn't quite so anal, for two reasons: 1) it's easier for me to find duplicate files or files with the same name that aren't dups and 2) it doesn't need to be because I did that on the back-up.

The game folder has sub-folders for objects, sims parts, walls&floors, and terrains. All hacks/mods are loose (and some are re-named for loading purposes. Objects, walls, floors, and terrains are sitting loose in their folders. The folder named Sim Parts Is Parts has sub-folders skins, eyes, and hair. Clothing and makeup are loose inside the folder.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: