More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 19:57:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  CRT or LCD????
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: CRT or LCD????  (Read 13587 times)
vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: CRT or LCD????
« Reply #25 on: 2006 August 04, 07:19:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could just put your junk on top of the monitor, if you got a proper blocky one.

My cat used to sleep on top of my old CRT monitor, getting hairs in the ventilation slats and making the picture go green and wavy. Every time the desk was jogged, the picture on the monitor would shake and fade.

When I got an LCD monitor, the cat couldn't fit on top of it. He loitered in the vicinity, looking confused, then depressed, then found somewhere more sensible to sleep instead. Problem solved!
Frankenbeasley
The Preacher
Uncouth Undesirable

Diabolic Avocado

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 August 04, 10:43:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm hoping for some sort of combination of the principles involved in these:

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/multi-touch-reel-p1.php (my favourite)
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/floating-touchscreen-p1.php (the most sci-fi)
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/augmented-reality-p1.php (although I also love this one simply for the ultra-French accent)

Not dead but gone by four.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 August 04, 15:07:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/augmented-reality-p1.php (although I also love this one simply for the ultra-French accent)

whoa.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 August 04, 16:32:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the LCD monitors more, I hate the glare from the CRTs and I feel like they are too fuzzy. I've never really noticed the blur from motion.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 August 04, 17:00:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm using an LCD right now, and I kind of notice the blur a bit if I look for it. I'm running 1280x1024 at 75Hz, so it's really nice nevertheless.

Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2006 August 04, 18:05:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, LCDs are so quiet. None of that hum.

But, CRTs with their glass screens can't be scratched by kids wielding sharp letter openers. As I'm looking through some scratches now.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 August 04, 18:21:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CRTs hum?
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2006 August 04, 20:06:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could just put your junk on top of the monitor, if you got a proper blocky one.

My cat used to sleep on top of my old CRT monitor, getting hairs in the ventilation slats and making the picture go green and wavy. Every time the desk was jogged, the picture on the monitor would shake and fade.

When I got an LCD monitor, the cat couldn't fit on top of it. He loitered in the vicinity, looking confused, then depressed, then found somewhere more sensible to sleep instead. Problem solved!

I'd say that was a cat issue, not a monitor issue.  XD

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 August 04, 20:07:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CRTs hum?

Yeah, last I heard it was a nice little ditty from the 60's.

vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 August 04, 21:07:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say that was a cat issue, not a monitor issue.  XD

Nevar! The cat cannot be blamed for the monitor's inability to function with added hairs.
Zaphod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 August 04, 22:09:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've used a CRT for most of my computer using life and while they are still superior to LCD, the margin is getting smaller.  I recently picked up a LCD for use for my secondary desktop and for the hell of it, hooked it up to my main system.  I've yet to notice a blur even in quick moving shooters such as FEAR or games such as Oblivion. I believe it really comes down to the native resolution, the refresh, and the density of the pix display.  I do have a high end system, so that may have something to do with it too.  Dual vid and cpu.
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 August 04, 23:37:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I perfer LCDs because images and text show up cleaner (no anti-aliasing), which bugs me with CRTs. I hardly notice a blur on LCDs, and the lack of colors don't seem to interfere too much, even though I do a lot of graphic design. (Sometimes it is a pain to find a good shade of a certain color) CRTs are good for the money, however, so I recommend those if you don't care either way.
t r a c y
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2006 August 04, 23:49:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LCDs suffer from blurry graphics when anything moves

i must have a magical lcd monitor in that case.  i love lerve my monitor, the graphics are so much nicer, crisper, and prettier than my old crt produced - and there's no blur when things move, didn't even realize this was a problem with lcds at all.  i guess i spent a lot of money on mine, but it was well worth it.  plus now i have so much more space on my desk for, uhm, clutter.  heh.

if you can't be a good example you'll just have to be a horrible warning
vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 August 05, 08:59:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I first got my LCD, I did notice a bit of blurring on some games - particularly on XIII, which was very brightly coloured and cartoony to start with. I've had the monitor for a few years now, and I must have just become used to it, because I can't even see the blurring any more. I do quite a lot of design, too, and using the LCD has never had any impact on that to speak of.

Plus there's the issue of vanity. I feel more like an uber-n3rd with an uber-cool monitor.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: