More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 09:04:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Good Spyware/Trojan blocker?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Good Spyware/Trojan blocker?  (Read 4799 times)
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
Good Spyware/Trojan blocker?
« on: 2006 August 07, 18:16:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After getting the same bug I had a few months ago (husband is in trouble for going back to that wrestling site) I decided we need some new protection for our PC.

Suggestions? Cheap as Free is preferrable, as we are so broke that we still haven't taken our pc in to get reformatted the LAST time we got the nasty nasty. (For those of you who don't pay attention to my lil soap opera... we're missing a vias thingy so I can't reinstall/reformat ourselves)

So, obviously we have a hole in our protection services. Currently using MicroTrend's PCillian 2005 antivirus/firewall/spyware all in one. Help please?

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: Good Spyware/Trojan blocker?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 07, 19:11:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For a good free spyware remover, I recommend Ad-Aware SE:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

It won't do anything for virus problems, though, if your PC-cillan misses something like that.

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
Kala
Dimwitted Dunce

Stop Screwing!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 07, 19:35:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Links and info I found elsewhere

Spyware Blaster
Prevents spyware from being installed

Spyware Guard
Realtime protection against spyware

Adaware
Ad-Aware Personal provides advanced protection from known data-mining, aggressive advertising, Trojans, dialers, malware, browser hijackers, and tracking components. This software is downloadable free of charge

Remember to tell the Mr. that Dave Scherer don't care if his pop ups mess up your computer, so stop going to his site.

You can spell and that's great.  What else can you do?  Being an ass doesn't count.
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 07, 20:16:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have several freebies on my pc and I pay for Norton (never had any trouble with it).. here's a few that I have:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/ asquared Trojans, Worms, Keyloggers, Dialer and  Spyware/Adware
http://www.spybot.info/ removes spyware
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/  spywareblaster
ad aware SE (listed above)

~misty

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 07, 20:24:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, that adaware thing sounds like something I need. =p

Yeah, the mister is banned from video websites other than youtube.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 07, 21:49:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For best results, use both Ad-Awarre and Spybot, as sometimes one will find stuff the other misses.

AVG Free from Grisoft is probably as good an anti-virus app as any, and it's free.

The best protection against crap on your computer is to pay attention to where you go on the Web, don't click on boxes that say "click here to get rid of viruses on your PC," and sit behind a hardware firewall, such as is incorporated into most routers these days.

Also, use Firefox or Opera instead of Internet Explorer, and use Thunderbird or Eudora instead of Outlook or Outlook Express for email. Just say no to ActiveX controls.   Tongue

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 07, 22:53:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also recommend Spybot S&S, Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster.  I use all three, and also these free programs:

Blacklight Defender (rootkit scanner:) https://europe.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml  It's a little annoying because you have to download a new version every month or two, but no free general purpose anti-spyware program that I know of will catch rootkits.

Avast Antivirus:  http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Edit: Also agreed that using an alternative browser and e-mail client is an excellent idea.  If you go with FireFox, the extension NoScript (which allows you to build a whitelist of which sites you want to be able to run javascript, Flash and the like) is a valuable security addition to the browser.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 08, 01:47:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll second the Avast usage - my son and I both use it.  Also, Yahoo has an ant-spy built into their toolbar.  Works pretty well so far (knock on wood).

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 08, 02:23:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any time I reinstall Windows I always make sure to go to the hardware and disable the ethernet driver. That fixes my spyware problem.  Grin

Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 August 08, 05:10:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any time I reinstall Windows I always make sure to go to the hardware and disable the ethernet driver. That fixes my spyware problem.  Grin

lol! I actually just reinstalled my firewall after many months of not having anything (and not getting anything). I know having a router with a firewall -most if not all have them - helps a lot.

I use BlackIce PC Protection only - most other firewalls suck in my opinion, and use a lot of system resources. So far, the hackers I know have not been able to get on my pc when I have asked them to try. This one is barely noticeable, but can be a bit of a challenge to set up for certain things.

I also run the free scanners at F_Secure and Trend-Micro from time to time.

Also, Kaspersky products are really good, but the anti-virus can lag other programs. Anti-hack is quite good, however.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: