More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 01:10:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Default skins and macintosh 'puter?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Default skins and macintosh 'puter?  (Read 5250 times)
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Default skins and macintosh 'puter?
« on: 2006 July 18, 22:14:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have dutifully searched and read through the many threads on default skins.  I've also tried the many suggestions for sets already available by their creators, but haven't managed to patch together a complete set of skins or eyes I like.

So, I ask you, oh wise ones: is there a way for me to convert custom skins to default on my SimPE-less Powerbook?

Can I get SimPE for MacOS somehow, somewhere?

As much as I love TS2, SimPE is the only Windows app I yearn for, so I am unwilling to add emulation infrastructure just for this one item.
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

mean sims and empty lots don't mix...

View Profile WWW
Re: Default skins and macintosh 'puter?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 18, 23:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt that SimPE for Macs is in the works... and creating default relpacements can't be done without it I fear.  What about helping you find the replacements you yearn for already made?  What are you looking for?

Helaene has made some wonderful eyes.  At MTS2 many others have converted one set or another.  I'm currently using her "Reflections" set.   Enayla made one of her sets into default replacements.  (Also found at MTS2... but they might have been moved to Sexy Sims 2 the new "Adult" site). 

I'd love to help you but I need some idea of what you are looking for.  Myself I like a fairly realistic skin, with some details in the chest area at least.  I don't really like the "pushed up" look although most skins seem to have that now.  I like the eyes to have some depth and sparkle, with just a touch of shading.  Many eyes have way too much shadow on the white of the eyes, but Helaene seems to have found an okay balance.

Perhaps someone would create a default replacement set for you if they knew what you wanted...

My Avie is a Vin Diesel sim.  Get him at My Yahoo Group
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 19, 00:09:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd create a default set of skin, eyes, etc.  if you'd tell me which ones you wanted.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 20, 01:08:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, y'all sure don't live up to the hype of being hoity-toity smarty-pants over here.  Well, mebbe just the smarty-pants part...  Grin

To be honest I haven't tried all of the custom skins on offer around the net, as I didn't know how to make them default.  Now that I have your very generous offer BlueSoup, may I get back to you in a couple of days after I've collected my preferences?  I don't want to have to subject you to my various waverings as I assemble a suitable spectrum of skins and eyes.

Overall, I like Enayla's work best, though I think the shininess of her skins translates less well to darker pigments.  I don't care about anatomical details one way or another; I still play with the blur on!  Cheesy  It's less a matter of ideology than convenience.  If the game shipped with the blur off, I probably would not have bothered to put it on...

I loved the few sets of Enayla's eyes which came with her otherworldly creatures though, so thank you for the tip Dewshine.  They're not on MTS2 any more, so I shall duly search for her default set.

Thank you, oh wise ones.  Smiley
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 20, 01:12:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let me know when you decide what you want to use.
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 20, 03:46:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is a link to Enalya's default replacement set. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=128208

The tones of these skins match the maxis ones and the shine is somewhat less than her other skins.

You might also want to check out the skins at Shiny Sims that are based on Louis's skins (Sim Cribbing). Here's a link: Clicky
These are nice enough for me to waver into nearly switching... alas, I have all my sims using Enalya's skins now and really want the Maxis ones to match them.

The link to Shiny Sims was originally posted by Rascal, so thanks to you, you Calvin and Hobbs lover...

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 20, 18:16:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've tried that default set, and not to repeat an earlier discussion just a month ago re. the merits of various skins, but I personally like the shininess of Enayla's skins.  Sometimes I don't like the .placement. but given that I cannot edit them for my own use, I suppose I'd rather have oily sims than matte ones. Smiley  My main problem with that set (and with Maxis' tones) is that I'd like there to be a little more distinction and range, especially between S1 and S2.

Do you know if there are any of Enayla's eyes on offer anywhere?  She mentions a default set in one of the descriptions for her skins, but that must have been at least 5 mos. ago.  I could probably cobble together a set from those that came packaged with some of her custom skins, but if she already has a set somewhere, I'd probably leave it at that.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 20, 21:48:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a package editor/ backup utility for the Sims2 on Mac in development:
http://woohooformac.wordpress.com/
You need to email the creator for the download.
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 21, 02:54:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seelindarum, I don't know if enalya made a full set of eye colors.  I can double check though.  I can't find any offerings of a full default replacement set that she has made... But I will be glad to make one for you.
Her Alieneye has been converted over to default.
You can find her undead skin as a Zombie replacer, and likewise for the aliens and vampires.  I've got all of her stuff in my game, I suppose I could make a bunch of her skins "genetic" so that they came up during breeding. These would extend the range of skins in the game, adding to the default ones.  Would that work? She's made a totall of 19 skins in addition to the default replacements. I might be able to do the eyes too. There are 11 of them.  I can do Grey, Green, and Brown for sure.  The blues are harder.  She's made several shades of light to medium blue but no dark blue.  There are several shades of brownish green to gold that would work as hazel that could be used for the dark blue though.

I'd need a way to get them to you and permission from her to alter them.  Let me fire off a PM and see if she'll allow it.

Here are links to the other default replacements: Vampire http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=132457

Zombie and Alien http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=126880

These have Enalya's eyes for those skins included... I think.  Well, at least the alien one does.
I'm using a different Vampire replacer that has a veined overlay.  This makes my vamps less shiny but I like the veins.   

Also... I will, if she allows, make you a pale version of the S1, just let me know which skin you'd like me to use.  I personally like the "Pale Blush" or the "Golden Grace" skins. I would then take the current S1 and set the value to S1.5 making it genetic but custom.

Edit:
Here's what I've done so far:
I made the following eyecolors by Enalya into defaults
Grey=SoftCloud
LtBlue=Opalescent
Green=Olive
Brown=RichBlack
DkBlue=GoldenGreen (EerieGreen)

Then I set the remaining eyes to Dominant or Recessive
Dark Bronze is Dominant
Eerie is Recessive
Glow is Recessive
Shadow is Very Recessive

I left the Deceased eyes alone

I also made contacts out of the Shadow (Red) and Deceased (Amber) eyes

Again the Alien's Unearthy eyes have already been set to replace the maxis alien eye.  I can make a contact out of it also if you like.

I'm waiting for Enalya's reply to work on the skins.  If she says 'no' then we'll have to work out a way for me to send you the files (like through email?).
« Last Edit: 2006 July 21, 05:40:42 by dewshine » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 21, 09:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's "very recessive"? How does one set an eye verydominant/dominant/recessive/veryrecessive?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 21, 11:25:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's "very recessive"? How does one set an eye verydominant/dominant/recessive/veryrecessive?

I know we're mere peasants, but you should check our village once in a while Wink

Changing Dominant/Recessive Values on Skin and Eyes
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 21, 18:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

O. my. Bob.

That's just so much more than I even _conceived_ of.  Y'all really are more awesome than I.   Kiss

Well, I knew about binning, but that whole discussion of dominant/recessive...  Impressive.

Back to lurking and quietly working to become more awesome than I currently am...
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 July 21, 20:46:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know we're mere peasants, but you should check our village once in a while Wink

LOL! Just in case he burninates you, Theo, it was fun while it lasted.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 July 21, 21:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grin

Gee its not every day that the I discover that I know something that the mighty J.M. Pescado does not know.  I don't know how to respond...

I don't think of myself as any more awesome than the next person, I just like to help out where I can. 

If Enalya gives me the go ahead I'll upload the modified files for you all to double check, if not then the folks who want them are going to have to email me...  Um, yeah.   

Edit: (Because I hate to double-post)

I've modified 16 of Enalya's skins to function as genetic skintones.
Here's the breakdown:

Very Pale: (Set to 0.03 where the S1 tone is 0.10)
The Fae
Ghostly
(I can add the Vampire skintone here if anyone wants it as a genetic skin.  Please let me know)

Pale: (Set to 0.05)
Eerie
Golden Grace
Opaline

Very Light: (Set to 0.07)
Albaster
Pale Blush

Light: (Set to 0.10, the same value as S1)
Golden Flush
Porcelain Doll

Light Tan: (Set to 0.20, Between S1 and S2)
Fresh Summer

Medium Tan: (Set to 0.45, Between S2 and S3)
Sweet Fall
Deep Golden

Medium Dark: (Set to 0.75, Between S3 and S4)
Rich Gold

Dark: (Set to 0.90, the same value as S4)
Dusk

Very Dark: (Set to 0.95)
Blue Midnight
Deep Earth

They have been tested and work in my game.  I won't post them anyplace but I will email them to anyone who contacts me via email or PM wanting them.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 21, 23:58:13 by dewshine » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: