More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 13:24:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Rant - The ways in which the sims community is completely insane.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Rant - The ways in which the sims community is completely insane.  (Read 83153 times)
siriusthinking
Asinine Airhead

Lurker since July 29, 2005!

View Profile WWW
Re: Rant - The ways in which the sims community is completely insane.
« Reply #75 on: 2006 July 21, 19:54:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I left a comment about why he was being so possesive about his content when he was uising other peoples stuff to create his MASTERPIECE....got deleted for being unecessary.....since when is a reality check unnecessary.

Haha, I figured that "deleted post" was someone from here.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 July 22, 01:40:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought this was funny:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=176332
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 July 22, 02:23:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, and/or sad.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Countess
theisz
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 July 22, 02:34:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMFG!   Cheesy

Pathetic.  People are just plain sad and well pathetic.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 July 22, 02:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never understood the people who say you shouldn't modify it even for their own use. I mean, maybe if they hadn't done such a sloppy, half-assed job, I wouldn't have had to fix it.

Now my stuff, on the other hand, has no such prohibition, but opening it may cause it to explode, leak, or catch fire, resulting in injury or death. Also, it voids the warranty. So yeah, don't do that, m'kay?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 July 22, 02:48:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Saying you can't modify something even for your own use is stupid, control-freakish to the point of insanity, unenforceable, and, most amusing with all the pseudo-legalese thrown around there, not legally viable. If you want to buy a Ferrari and paint it puce, you have that right, no matter how bad Ferrari thinks it makes them look -- and THAT is even something other people can see. I don't know what planet people who say "OMG you're evil if you modify something of mine for your own use" are from, but it's not Earth.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 July 22, 03:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always been pefectly fine with using the textures and alphas from my uploads ... most is Maxis textures anyway.

I just noticed MTS2 "zero tolerance" policy, this ends up being kinda of rant against then but MTS2 seens to been taken over by TSR, perhaps not in terms of ownership and staff but in terms of behavior ... perhaps saying this will not make popular but what the hell.

I am not going to pretend I do not get some ego boost when someone picks up something I did and uses it in any form but as I dont like jumping hoops I sould not subject that to others ... having people asking "can I please use your <insert name here> alpha?" is just a waste of time, both to me (since I have to reply yes) and to that person that have to wait until I decide to check my PM box or read atread.

I could also point out the hypocracy of double standarts that exist in the Sims Community were its seens to be prefectable alright to rip other games resources but not from other "modders" ...

As for the Exchange ... well I do grant one point, there are simply too many people there uploading without refering to the mesh required and I would rather the meshes were packaged along with the textures if they were seperated packaga files, right now the Exchange is a mess ... unorganized, uneffective and not user friendly at all, just like their BBS.

MyPrecious
Blathering Buffoon

"And we don't want any of that nonsense, do we?"

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 July 22, 03:44:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have stuff in my car that is shameful...I can't wait until the French makers send me a mail/call whatever, saying -

"Please remove the London solider with the Sexy Boots and the Bearskin hanging from your mirror as it does not represent the French political stanch of "No Monarchy"… Plus those sunglasses you wear while driving said car look suspiciously like American seventies models, thus giving the impression that this Automobile is something that belongs in a Mike Myers movie, not something this super cool French company wishes to promote. And while we are on the subject, your accent is not up to scratch either. No French company wants to associate with an "Inspector (no)Clueso" image"

(Plans to add "go faster stripes and change the name to "The Sliver Hornet" (even though it's metallic blue ha ha ha)… in the morning just to see what will happen?)

Sod the Sims2 if all other companies are this anal this could provide endless entertainment…  Grin

Hell maybe I should take the magents off my fridge? Huh

« Last Edit: 2006 July 22, 03:54:07 by MyPrecious » Logged

A definition of loafing is; when you can't be bothered to open the curtains so you click the Glastonbury festival web cam to check the weather…

O môr henion i dhû:
Countess
theisz
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 July 22, 04:12:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just noticed MTS2 "zero tolerance" policy, this ends up being kinda of rant against then but MTS2 seens to been taken over by TSR, perhaps not in terms of ownership and staff but in terms of behavior ... perhaps saying this will not make popular but what the hell.

Exactly.  Thanks for saying it.  I have thought this for a long time.  The Nazi style forum moderation and all the policies and now a zero tolerance policy.  For the love of old ladies having heart attacks...WTF?
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 July 22, 04:40:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sod the Sims2 if all other companies are this anal this could provide endless entertainment…  Grin

The people actually making the game, who actually have a copyright, aren't that anal. It's certain modders, who apparently have no lives outside of the game, who are.

Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 July 22, 04:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I cannot wait until someone bitches about someone stealing their lot ...

I am going to tell you were that "Sim Stealing" idiocy started ... The Sims 2 Community forums (AKA MTS2 forums), in fact if you read those forums and check TSR forums you be suprised on how similar they are.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 July 22, 04:57:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh for fuck's sake...

This is rediculous. I am not anti-MTS2, nor do I think it is run by nazis. I think this is them trying to cover their asses and keep people from screaming about stolen content being uploaded. However, when is it going to be enough already? Don't people get tired of policing this shit all the time?
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 July 22, 05:51:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well at least they included this little blurb
"Using 3d models from web sites and converting them without permission is..THEFT!"
Considering many many meshers use 3d models from various sites without any credit and almost always claiming that they themselves made the content and oh my gosh you better not breathe on it wrong... Roll Eyes
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 July 22, 17:07:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once it is on my computer, in my house, I do darn well what I want with it. No one else is going to see it though, I just mess around with stuff for my personal enjoyment. I even peeked into JM's files, but I didn't touch anything. It was like trying to read War and Peace - in Mesopotamian.

* veilchen has never seen Nectere's stuff, because she lost...ahm, misplaced...., no her cat ate the paper with the link, yes that's it... to Nectere's site.

Edited: because I have a question. What's with the "no exchange, under any circumstances, don't even think about it, etc?" That's not meant to be sarcastic or tounge in cheek, I'm genuinely curious. Is it a logistical thing? A pride thing? What? I read it a lot, but I would really like to know why.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 22, 18:03:00 by veilchen » Logged

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 July 22, 17:34:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh for fuck's sake...

This is rediculous. I am not anti-MTS2, nor do I think it is run by nazis. I think this is them trying to cover their asses and keep people from screaming about stolen content being uploaded. However, when is it going to be enough already? Don't people get tired of policing this shit all the time?

Let me put this way.

I know my alphas are being used on other people work, I know my textures are being used.

Now imagine someone decides to use my white leopard bikini alpha for their own bikini (and parts have been used, I recognize then) but instead of downloading the from inSim were I posted they use then from another site ... now they did not create the alpha so they cannot give permision so they will point to either me or someone that also use it.

Snowball effect that makes people either give up or end up anoying so much that permision is not given so we dont have to deal with it.

Who suffers?

Anyone that downloads, the people that really care are from paysites that make money out of the game and those people are organized and vocal enough that NOBODY is going to use their stuff as base.

"Theft" sould be dealt on a case-by-case basis ... nobody can claim my alphas and textures that ARE FREE TO BE USED as theirs but I do expect some idiocy when someone will claim X stolen from Y when what was stolen was actually from W that allowed free use ... we have a lot of people that cry wolf and rent-a-cop in this community ... I speak from experience.

This just makes the process of uploading in MTS2 more of a pain in the ass and I am going to suffer from pain in the ass uploading there is TSR were at least I get free days, I upload in inSim because its just making a new tread and I am set.

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 July 22, 20:04:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: LyricLee
Cloning someone elses object without their permission and using it for your own is..THEFT!
Personally, I really don't see why someone would be stupid enough to recolor something without permission and submit it to MTS2.  This is the only case of actual theft listed there.

Using 3d models from web sites and converting them without permission is..THEFT!
That's about half the 3d models on the site then, and they're public domain.  Essentially, you could use that stuff for anything including putting it in TS2.  Maybe this isn't so bad if they enforce it, the high poly stuff comes from Public Domain Meshes.

Using someones custom content in your lots, on sims, or modifying their content without permission is...THEFT!
Lots should be cleaned of all CC anyway.  I don't get this rule with sims, since Sims2Pack files send all the CC with it anyway.  If Sims are just combinations of CC, what's the point of their submission if you can't get the CC with them?  As for modifying content w/o permission, Gunmod's Radiance Lighting mod would be dead along with a few other projects.

Using someones alphas and/or textures without permission is... you guess it...THEFT!
If they're recolored Maxian Textures, why can't someone just recolor it and distribute it again?  If they weren't planning on making a recolor for something, and made it CEP compatible then why can't you publish it?  Even if you did get permission from the author, it would still be thievery because it would be harder to prove it.

Speaking of Content theft, sims in LyricLee's avatar have custom content.  Did she get permission to repost that custom content?  I doubt it.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 23, 19:20:38 by MisterPaper » Logged
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 July 23, 09:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Using someones custom content in your lots, on sims, or modifying their content without permission is...THEFT!

I'm a little confused on how to diagram that sentence. Does it mean using someone's custom content on your lots/in packaged sims is THEFT, period, or does the permission clause also modify that bit? Because if the creator gives permission for their content to be packaged with sims, I don't see how it's THEFT.

I think that mod called THEFT on people who offered to send a (free) item via email since the download page wouldn't load in their browser or something, too.

I don't mind people asking to be credited for their work, but I don't get things like this.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 July 23, 09:25:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's supposed to really make sense, it's just crazy.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 July 23, 16:51:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a little confused on how to diagram that sentence. Does it mean using someone's custom content on your lots/in packaged sims is THEFT, period, or does the permission clause also modify that bit? Because if the creator gives permission for their content to be packaged with sims, I don't see how it's THEFT.

I think that mod called THEFT on people who offered to send a (free) item via email since the download page wouldn't load in their browser or something, too.

I don't mind people asking to be credited for their work, but I don't get things like this.

I am also wondering the same thing as you! Does it mean that we can't get custom content sims/custom content lots there anymore?

Huh

Go Away
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 July 23, 18:08:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that the entire constant screaming of "theft" really undermines the entire concept of theft. I wouldn't consider it even a minimalist form of theft unless someone's actually claiming he made the item, and that still only qualifies as plagiarism, which is like the Diet Coke of Thievery.

tIIsuggas
Garrulous Gimp

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 July 23, 18:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Havn't any of the creators heard of the patents office?
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 July 23, 19:10:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a little confused on how to diagram that sentence.
I am also wondering the same thing as you!

TRANSLATION:
Using someone's custom content in your lots without permission is...THEFT!
Using someone's custom content on sims without persmission is...THEFT!
Modifying someone's content without permission is...THEFT!

I can only assume that the first two refer to lots and sims that you upload...because anything else is more stupid than......Retardo Landers after lobotomies.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 July 23, 19:27:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most people don't even care enough to get a Creative Commons license, sadly the only reason that "theft" is an issue is because someone believes they actually own a recolor.

I believe someone commented in that thread that "people don't realize that if creators don't get credit, they'll stop making stuff."  That's pure BS, do you know which factory/sweatshop worker made your clothing?  No, you only know the Brand name.  The Sims 2 Custom Content is your brand name.

I wonder if people would support a movement to allow distribution and recolors of their work as long as they're given credit.  I highly doubt it, since people are still hoping to become famous since they can do something in Photoshop.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 July 23, 20:44:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, I r teh famous!!111 I gets teh emails dat say "I <3 ur work! I am ur #1 fan!" I owe it all to teh Photoshop, lolz.

The stupid thing about most of this is that once creators get to a certain point, most of us could care less about redistribution with credit. Sure, upload it. Slap my name on it. Yay, now we all win. It seems, for the most part, to be a very "noob-ish" thing, this obsessive need for credit and calling theft on everyone else. I don't know what the deal is, but everyone seems out to make a name for him/herself in this community. Ironically, one of the fastest ways to get your content out there is to allow it to be used on sims and lots, so by screaming about it most new creators are just condemning themselves to obscurity anyway.

As far as I am concerned, it is not THEFT when someone uses my alpha. Should they have to start from scratch when they already have a blueprint? I think every creator, whether they admit it or not, use other people's alphas, at least as a starting point.

It is not THEFT when someone uploads my crap on a sim. Big freaking deal, so it has my lipstick, my hair recolour, or my shirt on. As long as the person who uploaded the sim doesn't claim that they made it, I don't see how this is even an issue. Slap up a credit, moot issue.

I can see why some people are a little concerned about recolouring, because in some cases all people do is open it in photoshop, move the colour slider a bit, and claim that they "made it". In most cases, they aren't really fooling anyone. However, I don't even see the big hairy deal with this, as long as they don't claim they made the actual texture. Again, the credit thing applies.

On the flipside, those annoying pre-teens on the exchange who steal from people, claim it as their own, then throw a hissy fit saying that the real creator "stole" it should be shot. But then, most of the people on the exchange should be shot.

I'm just tired of this whole issue.

Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 July 23, 22:21:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well the TS2 Exchange is not much diferent from TS1 Exchange ... I think it was done that way on purpose because it would force people who want credit to upload it there first.

Problem is its flawed since package a Sim does not include the mesh unless the mesh is in the same .package file as the texture ... perhaps Maxis expected mesh creators to add the mesh in the texture .package but when people found out the flaw they made the mesh a seperate .package file.

Credit always been a issue, I seen people quit because someone picked up their textures, alter then and claim they created then back in TS1 days but the "theft" seens to come from pay sites that, naturaly, dont want their *exclusive* downloads to be avaible for free ... unfortunaly "theft" nows covers pretty much everything, it reminds me of when kids learn a new word like "gay" and use it for everything without understanding the actually meaning of the word, only that is offensive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: