More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 18:34:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Culling Hair
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Culling Hair  (Read 5633 times)
lindaetterlee
Knuckleheaded Knob

Proud Army Wife. Support us or get the fuck out.

View Profile WWW
Culling Hair
« on: 2006 July 24, 07:28:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am trying to cull my hair and after deleting nearly 100 mb I remembered that the mesh doesn't always delete with the recolors unless it was linked. Or vs versa the recolors not with mesh. Anyway. Its been a while. I'm alittle fuzzy on the easiest way to find which meshes are not in use and which recolors have no meshes.

Proud Army Wife of a soldier deployed to IRAQ. Support us or get the fuck out.
I am 25.

Quote from: lindaetterlee
The same thing happened with my Pescado, before this he was a lady's man. Now he is some guy's bitch.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
Re: Culling Hair
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 24, 12:41:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember asking about this a while ago and not getting an answer.  I have LOADS of hair I don't want, but whenever I delete them, no meshes dsappear from my meshes folder.  The same goes for clothing.  It doesn't help that Clean Installer tends to be very temperamental when it comes to downloading stuff and tends to give me an entire wardrobe full of the same Maxis pants & top because it doesn't install the clothing properly. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
lindaetterlee
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 24, 13:04:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grumbles This is the part of downloading i hate. I am soo unorganized. Atleast i started putting them into some order. Like hair, clothes, walls/floors/ Objects. hehe. I delete so often i hate to spend the time organizing.

I am 25.

The same thing happened with my Pescado, before this he was a lady's man. Now he is some guy's bitch.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 24, 16:02:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With any given style (or object) I usually try to group the meshes in the same folder with the recolors for this reason. I can't keep track of the meshes separate from the recolors otherwise. Is there any particular reason to keep meshes separated out?

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 25, 02:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess if you have gigs and gigs of hair, it would be hard.  But if you're like me and EXTREMELY selective about hair then it's not so much.

I pretty much know where I get all my hair from and so when I'm cleaning out the older styles that are sacrificed to make space for the new and shiny, I just return to the site where I downloaded it from, open the file to get the filename and then search for it in my downloads folder and delete it and the recolors.

It also helps when the mesher/recolorer properly names the file like "nameofcreator_number_mesh" or "nameofcreator_number_color".  With how obsessive people are over what they make, I'm suprised more don't put their names on it.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 25, 03:11:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you people want to give it a shot, there's an experimental downloads scanner that may give you a hint of which files can be deleted.

But my lack of interest (or better yet, a draconian file organization policy) dictated the end of that project.

On the few times I ran it, the results were not the best, but here are some tips for the ones desperate willing to take the test:
- the whole downloads folder (and recursive) should be scanned for the most accurate results
- the CEP package will report as an orphan mesh, although it isn't.
- if you add/remove files, the scanfolder cache must be cleared Tongue

You can try it out, but there's absolutely no guarantee.
« Last Edit: 2006 December 14, 14:22:43 by Theo » Logged
lindaetterlee
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 25, 04:54:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

[error]Message:
Unable to load OrphanMeshScanner.

SimPE Version:
Default (0.58.1.29278).

Exception Stack:
System.Exception: Unable to load OrphanMeshScanner from 'theo.meshscanner.plugin, Version=0.1.7.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. ---> System.MissingMethodException: No parameterless constructor defined for this object.
  at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly)
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
  at SimPe.LoadFileWrappers.LoadPlugins(Assembly a, Type interfaceType, Object[] args)
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
System.MissingMethodException: No parameterless constructor defined for this object.
  at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly)
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
  at SimPe.LoadFileWrappers.LoadPlugins(Assembly a, Type interfaceType, Object[] args)[/error]

I am 25.

Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 25, 05:57:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same problem.  Last time I did a count, which was a few weeks ago, my download folder came to 25,750.  I know there are orphaned recolors and meshes that aren't showing up, how many I'm not sure, but I'm betting it's a sizable chunk. 

Datgen has something that is supposed to look for these files, both the recolors and the meshes which aren't linked to anything else, but it always crashes whenever I try to use it.  It sure would help though.   
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 25, 09:54:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you should all get that error, because I didn't update that project for SimPE 0.58! Tongue

Anyway, I'll just rebuild the source for that specific version.

Edit: Done, but I think some of you must refresh the web page for the new link to appear.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 25, 10:12:43 by Theo » Logged
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 25, 20:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I tried the plug-in but I don't think it's working right for me.  I know for a fact that I have a lot of orphaned meshes, but it didn't find a single one of them.  It did, however, find loads of things it said were orphaned meshes, all of which were objects and not meshes at all, a lot of which had recolours clearly listed.  It even said bathroomusesyou was an orphaned mesh!

Why doesn't the game just delete the mesh when the clothing/hair/whatever is deleted???

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
lindaetterlee
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 25, 20:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tell me about it. I've come to the conclusion that i need to just redownload all my hair.

I am 25.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 25, 20:50:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because of recolors. Just because you don't want a certain recolor of a hair file, doesn't mean you want the mesh gone.

Just like I deleted all of Sanmoo's femininity colors for her mesh and just my femme recolors. I am still using the original mesh, but none of the original textures.

Or say you hate Xmsims' textures of their newest hair and someone at MTS2 makes a whole new set you like better... you delete all of Xmsims' colors and just sit pretty with the new creator's versions.

And I would redownload all my hair, but I just got through categorizing them....

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: