More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:42:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Ye Olde Simmes 2 Archives: Dead Creators
| |-+  Ye Olde Syberspunke Archives (Moderator: syberspunk)
| | |-+  Testers Wanted: Grow Up Townies (Updated 3/15/2008)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Should I 'hide' the Ask to Grow Up option under the Adjust... in the Sim Pie Menu?
Yes, my menu's a bit cluttered, thanks. - 125 (66.1%)
No, I like seeing the option right away. - 62 (32.8%)
I have another suggestion (which I will actually post below in a reply. Tongue - 2 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 143

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Testers Wanted: Grow Up Townies (Updated 3/15/2008)  (Read 180848 times)
syberspunk
Heretic

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Testers Wanted: Grow Up Townies (Updated 3/15/2008)
« on: 2006 July 05, 11:04:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grow Up Townies *EXPERIMENTAL BETA* v1.14 for TS2FT v1.0p0
Made by: syberspunk

Edit: 7/6/2006
Until further notice, I'm declaring this a Beta since I will be making updates while people are testing and giving feedback.

Known Issue:

Edit: 9/21/2006
Problem: If a residential dormie is set with a major or sent to a final, their data will reset if they move out back into the dormie pool. Non-residentail dormies (dormies that do not live on the current dorm lot) will always have their major and semester time set.

Workaround: The Go to Final Exam option has currently been disabled altogether, until further analysis can be conducted and a fix is feasible. Declare/Change Major is still available, but please note that when a residential dormie moves out, their major will most likely be reset to Undeclared. :/

Problem: If a townie that has transitioned becomes deleted for some reason, when that townie is summoned/teleported back to the lot, their Sim Age will NOT have changed even though their physical appearance retains the transition. This results in some creepy ugliness, where for example, Brittany Parker should have aged to Teen, and while she still has a teen body, with the selected aspiration and teen wants, she will be crouched down at the knees and still have a child voice and animations. This seems to Only be a problem if you DELETE the sim. If the sim is reset, they seem to still be ok. This is currently being investigated.

Solution: Workaround - If you SAVE right after the transition, this seems to permanently write the proper Sim Age. So even if you force the townie to be deleted, when they return to the lot, they will appear as the correct age.

Unfortunately, to fix a sim with this problem, you would have to use a debug cheat or hack to age them back down. I will try to think of a way to detect this problem and enable a fix via the pie menu, so you can click on a sim and force them to age back down.

Edit: This is actually not a problem. In my many edits of this first post, I lost my original message explaining that this is actually just how the game works. This also occurs when regular age transitions fail or if your sim gets reset somehow after an age transition.

Ever wanted to age your townies? Did you hate that they are immortal? Did you hate the fuss of having to use hacks or debugging cheats as a work around to age your townies? Is it really worth the hassle of teleporting them in, making them selectable, and aging them up? Well, if you've been as frustrated as I am, then here is the hack for you! Cheesy

This hack rolls in all of these into one neat interaction. Your playable sims can now ask your townies, dormies, and downtownies to 'Grow Up' effectively making them go through the appropriate Age Transition! Finally, your townies do not have to live forever! And you don't have to worry about using other hacks or cheats to do it! You don't have to make them selectable or move them in. Just click on the townie, select 'Ask to Grow Up' and they will. You also get to decide when they age. They will only ever age when you ask them to. Grin

Of course, there are restrictions:

• This interaction is Only available between lovers, crushes, and best friends. If enough people request it, I may enable it for just friends, but I figured there should be some limit to this. Would you really want to age up all your townies anyway? You could, but you'd have to work at it.
  • This interaction is Only available with townies that your current selected playable sim is at least older or the same age. In other words, your sim must be the same age as the townie or older (except for elder townies, your sim can still be an adult).
  • This interaction is Only available for teens and older (which makes sense since townies are only children and up).
  • This interaction DOES NOT enable aging for NPCs. I decided to restrict this since multiple NPC deaths could be bad. If it is later confirmed that NPC death is no less 'dangerous' than regular townie death, then I may enable it in a later version.

Features:

• Townies can age appropriately, from children to elders. Elders of course will die. The option appears as 'Say Goodbye Forever' for elder townies instead of 'Grow Up' for children, teens, young adults, and adults.
  • Children aging to teens should also have a dialog pop up so you can choose their aspiration. If you are on a College Lot, you can age townie teens into Young Adults.
  • Young Adults can be aged into Adults, regardless of what lot you are on. If a YA is a dormie i.e. has a college key, that key should be removed. Upon returning to the Dorm, that YA dormie should be set to an adult and their dorm room should be unclaimed and ready for a new dormie.
  • All transtions should occur like regular Age Transitions, with the appropriate memories and inheritance.

Edit: 9/3/06
:new: Because I am lazy, I decided to make different controllers with different checks to determine the availability of the option. Details explaining the different controllers can be found in this post.

Edit: 9/11/06
:new: Added features:

• Fixed - Downtownies aged to YA will be moved into the "Townie" family so they become available in the dormie pool. Note: As a result, these YAs will be "Townies" when aged to Adult. They will NOT revert back to "Downtownie" status.
  • Added - You can now send dormies to their final exam. They should transition to the next semester like normal and they should gain all the regular benefits (wants, fears, want locks, etc.) This option is available under College.../Go to Final Exam when clicking on a dormie. Note: Dormie age meters will still remain frozen.
  • Added - You can now declare and change majors for dormies. The appropriate option will show up under College.../Registar - Declare Major (or Change Major) when you click on a dormie.

These features still require testing. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Edit: 9/13/06
If you are using my Secret Society Finals Fix, you MUST use the growuptownies compatible version to fix the "bug" where grants from non-playable dormies finals "magically" go to the dorm lot funds.

Edit: 9/20/06
The different check controllers have been tweaked. Details can be found in this post.

Edit: 1/16/07
Added options to Drop Out, Graduate.../Without Honors, Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude
Added proper memories for Dormies/YAs transitioning to Adults to complete years, graduate, or graduate with honors.
 - Sims who drop out will only get a memory of dropping out
 - Sims who graduate cum laude or higher should get a memory of getting on the dean's list
 - Wants for getting on the dean's list, completing years, graduating or dropping out should be satisfied
 - UI Life Stage for YAs should display properly now: Circle with / for Drop Outs, nothing for normal graduates, and stars for honors

:!!: Note: Townies may suddenly appear in the selection skewer (with their icon showing up as if they are part of the household) but this is only temporary. It appears to be a side effect of the Age Transition interaction. But rest assured, the townie did not magically move in, and should NOT be part of the household.

:!!: Note: I am also unsure whether townies aged to Young Adult will become part of the dormie pool, and can thus be used to populate dorms. Conversely, I am also unsure if dormies aged to Adults will roam around the normal hoods as adults or if they are removed from the dormie pool used to populate dorms.

:busted: Warning: As a result, this hack definitely needs testing and will be considered experimental, since the long term effects remain to be seen. Killing off multiple townies, even via death by old age, may possibly lead to a BFBVFS.

:!!: Note: The animations don't exactly sync up. The initator of the interaction may suffer from adhd and decide to walk away before the age transition completes. This is a 'known issue' that isn't really an issue, because it is due to my lack of experience using animations and my stubborn unwillingness (or more likely laziness) to learn more about them in depth. If I ever decide to suss this out, I may come back to this and fix it. Otherwise, it's a fairly minor, superficial thing, and I am more concerned about the rest of the functionality.

PS. This hack is NOT autonomous, so don't worry, no surprises here Wink

PPS. You need BOTH packages in the .zip archive. The controller and the actual interaction itself.

INSTALLATION:
This MUST be in your Downloads folder, typically found under:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\Downloads

:!!: Note: You can use subfolders, however, be aware of 'benign' conflicts that depend on the load order of hacks.

Compatibility:
This works for OFB/FFS. It is probably compatible with Uni and/or NL, but is untested. Feel free to try it out if you Only have Uni or NL and report any feedback, whether it works or if you have problems. The current version is NOT compatible with the original basegame alone. If all goes well, I may backport it and make a basegame compatible version.

This hack is compatible with most, if not all mods by MATY crew (Pescado, TJ, and CBoy), dizzy, and probably more. Again, up to you to help me determine any possible conflicts.

REMINDER and fine print (to cover my ass ) :
Remember to ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE INSTALLING NEW HACKS. By using this hack, you agree to absolve me of any responsibility or liability for any potential loss of or damage to your data. You have been warned.

HOW TO REPORT: Conflicts, problems, or errors
I would appreciate any constructive criticism and feedback that is actually helpful. With that in mind, it would be helpful, when reporting any conflicts or issues, that you include the following:

1) thorough but reasonably brief description of what you were doing
2) clear, comprehendible explanation of your problem
3) list of hacks that may be related aging, moving in sims, or inheritance
4) archived (.rar or .zip) of log produced by error

HOW TO PRODUCE AN ERROR LOG:
1) Open the cheat menu - Ctrl + Shift + C
2) Enable the debug mode - Type: boolprop testingcheatsenabled true
3) Hit Enter Tongue
4) Play as normal until an error occurs. If an error dialog box pops up, note the location of the error log and choose Reset. If the error pops up repeatedly, choose Delete and exit WITHOUT SAVING!
5) Post your error log here, preferably as a .zip or .rar archive.

Posts which do not include a clear description of what your problem is will be pretty much ignored. (i.e. posts such as "This does not work! I am taking it out! You suck! Nice try! etc.") I can't and won't help you if you don't explain what's wrong.

Please be nice when trying to explain your problem and I might be nice and help you.

Finally, my Thank Yous go to:

J.M. Pescado, twojeffs, dizzy2, and jase439 for being excellent tutors and providing excellent models in their mods. As always, thanks to those creators who've put out some excellent modding tutorials, Quaxi and co for SimPE, and dizzy2 for disaSim2, and the finally letters T and S, and the number 2, all of whom, without which this mod would not be possible.

Special thanks to miros for testing the hack and informing me of the memory and UI life stage issue with YAs. Cheesy

Version History:
v1.01 - Fixed minor bug reported by Nec where townie would be set as stayover visitor
v1.02 - Fixed bugs reported by Theo where Teen to YA transition did not use proper animations, YA reverts to Adult if reset
v1.03 - Added Italian Translation thanks to Max3D, added check to disable option if sim is pregnant
v1.04 - Added Korean Translation thanks to miaokitty, fixed pregnancy check so option should not show up on pregnant sims
v1.05 - Added German and Dutch Translations thanks to veilchen and jordi, respectively. Danke schein. Smiley
v1.06 - Added Swedish Translation thanks to LilAbner. Added new option to declare major and send dormies to final exam immediately.
v1.07 - Fixed bug where Go to Final Exam option showed up for dormies even if they finished their last final
   Added other language translations for 'Grow Up' using existing Maxis text
v1.08 - Fixed bug where Ask to Grow Up interaction on dormie that has graduated does not transition properly
   Fixed "bug" where non-playable dormies grants from final exams go to dorm lot funds
v1.081- Removed relationship checks for college related options
v1.082- Fixed minor bug in regular and notypecheck controllers
v1.083- Fixed bug where playable, selectable sims are made unselectable, tweaked noagecheck and notypecheck controllers
v1.084- Fixed bug where interaction shows up but fails to execute, removed college options for non-resident YAs
v1.085- Removed Go to Final option for now due to dormies reseting their semester status
v1.090- Added options to Drop Out, Graduate.../Without Honors, Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude
   Added proper memories for Dormies/YAs transitioning to Adults to complete years, graduate, or graduate with honors.
    - Sims who drop out will only get a memory of dropping out
    - Sims who graduate cum laude or higher should get a memory of getting on the dean's list
    - Wants for getting on the dean's list, completing years, graduating or dropping out should be satisfied
    - UI Life Stage for YAs should display properly now: Circle with / for Drop Outs, nothing for normal graduates, and stars for honors
v1.091- Fixed controller bugs.
v1.092- Disabled option when either sim is on a date or group outing
v1.100- Added option to choose major for YAs asked to graduate
   Fixed minor bugs
v1.110- Added options to Drop Out and Be Expelled at different levels (before completing Freshman Year, after Freshman Year, after Sophomore Year, and after Junior Year)
v1.111- Changed Menu Pie Strings
v1.112- Removed Declare/Change Major option for YAs
v1.12 - Updated for Bon Voyage to allow option for Tourists and Vacation "Locals"
v1.13 - Added "real" Tourist families
v1.14 - Updated for Free Time

* growuptownies.zip (59.53 KB - downloaded 2921 times.)
* growuptowniescontrollers.zip (23.28 KB - downloaded 2457 times.)
« Last Edit: 2008 March 16, 03:09:36 by syberspunk » Logged

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Testers Wanted: Grow Up Townies *EXPERIMENTAL*
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 05, 11:46:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm looking forward to try this one Smiley

I have a few questions though: When a townie dies via the "Say goodbye forever" interaction, does the tombstone remain on the lot? And will its ghost begin to haunt the sims living there?

I really want to get rid of some elder townies this way, but the idea of having them all haunt my sims scares me a bit Cheesy

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 05, 12:27:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really want to get rid of some elder townies this way, but the idea of having them all haunt my sims scares me a bit Cheesy

Well, you can go into Buy mode and delete the tombstone, and get some simoleans for it (I think 150), or you could click on it and move it to your local cemetery.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Reekajean
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 05, 12:41:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh my god, this is excellent! I've just downloaded it, and will be sure to let you know if I have any problems with it. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this Smiley
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 05, 14:00:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, Ste, I may be wrong, but didn't Squinge have something like this, that he had to shelve?

If so, what makes this one different?  I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm interested in it, but I'm just curious.
MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 05, 14:06:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i've translated it in italian if you wish... just ask Smiley

it's a great mod .. but i think that the "friend" state limitation .. is a... limitation Tongue

why i can't ask to grou up the townies that walk in front of my home everyday ?

PS. This hack is NOT autonomous, so don't worry, no surprises here Wink
could you think about an autonomous version too ? Cheesy
« Last Edit: 2006 July 05, 14:16:58 by MaximilianPS » Logged
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 05, 14:39:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that when you do the 'set to age' cheat, any sim younger than teens will still have the 'grow up' aspiration and no LTW. Do they get these when you use this hack, or is it still the same?

syberspunk
Heretic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 05, 17:38:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm looking forward to try this one :)I have a few questions though: When a townie dies via the "Say goodbye forever" interaction, does the tombstone remain on the lot? And will its ghost begin to haunt the sims living there?

Yes, the tombstone remains on the lot that they die on, but you can move the grave to wherever, assuming you have NL or later. But... you can probably 'kill' a townie by old age on any lot. Well... I'm not sure about older versions as of now (I have OFB/FFS), but I had a townie die of old age on a comm lot (Gothier Greens to be precise) and his tombstone stayed there. I don't have killablevisitors or the tombstonefix thing. I left the comm lot, went home and tried to summon that townie. The townie briefly appeared and then vanished and I go that message about him dying on another lot and his spirit returning or whatever. I returned to Gothier Greens and happily his tombstone was till there. So... you can go to comm lots and ask the townies to die there. Smiley

Okay, Ste, I may be wrong, but didn't Squinge have something like this, that he had to shelve?

If so, what makes this one different?  I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm interested in it, but I'm just curious.

Well... first of all, the main difference is that my hack actually works. Wink [/ain't I a bitch?] All kidding aside, I am not messing around with time or trying to have townies age based on the clock. Townies DO NOT age on their own, and they DO NOT age when the clock reaches 6:00 pm like normal playable sims. This is a social interaction which shows up when you click on a townie that you have a good relationship with (best friends, crush, or love - I didn't bother to include engagement or marriage because being engaged implies love or at least you had to be in love to get engaged, and marriage... well duh. Tongue).

Um... so where was I, sorry for the ramble, heh... so yeah, townies ONLY age when you want them to, and ONLY the townies that you ask. It's not exactly a global solution (although it is a global hack, but self contained, as it does not modify any Maxis code - er... I'm sure that's confusing) but it is somewhat of a work around. It's a way for the user to age their townies, without going through all the hassle of making them selectable, or moving them in and making them playable, or using cheats to age them up, which typically does not set things like aspirations, jobs, etc.

I thought about this because, well Squinge had to abandon his because it didn't work, and because in my game, I have one household that has 7 sibs. Well, with all their friends, I didn't want to have to go through the hassling dance of making them selectable, aging them up, and deselecting them. Sure, it's not exactly a hassle. It's pretty easy to do, but cumbersome and annoying. Why go through all of that when I could roll it all up into one quick and easy, simple single interaction (I'm starting to feel like Ron Popeil desperately tryin to make a sale Cheesy). Anyhew, you can always test it out in a test 'hood first. I'd probably recommend that anyways, since I'm not quite sure of what the long term ramifications could be. Ultimately, having several deaths in your 'hood will give you a larger number of character files (unless you use the various flavors or notownieregen and you have OCD control over your 'hood population Tongue).

i've translated it in italian if you wish... just ask Smiley

That's fine. I don't mind translations. I don't have a strict policy as far as editing my mods. I'd only ask that, if you do distribute my stuff, at least give me some credit for my original work... unless of course I stole borrowed it from someone else, in which case, give them credit where it's due.

it's a great mod .. but i think that the "friend" state limitation .. is a... limitation Tongue

why i can't ask to grou up the townies that walk in front of my home everyday ?
I'll consider it. I might make a version with no relationship checks, for those that want the option available to every townie. If enough people want that option, or still like relationship checks but really want to enable it for friends. I wish I could start multiple polls in a thread. If I did post a poll, I wasn't sure where to put it, since Peasantry wouldn't make sense since the poll would just be a poll. RL would be... well... retarded. And The Podium isn't really my space to clutter things up with. Any suggestions on the appropriate place I can post a poll or two regarding this? Blue? If it's ok, let me know what you think. I suppose I can just post them in the Podium with the caveat that, after I've had sufficient feedback, perhaps the thread(s) could be merged with this one... or I can just remove them myself altogether.

could you think about an autonomous version too ? Cheesy

I'll think about it. The problem is... if it were autonomous... what would stop sim from constantly using it, and constantly agining up townies all willynilly. As it stands, I've made it an interaction that is always accepted and never rejected. I thought about autonomy... but I wasn't sure how I could prevent a sim from asking another sim to age twice or more in a single 'day' or play session, since there isn't really timestamping. At most... a sim could ask another sim to grow up to one age older than them. But for adult sims, they could end up 'bumping off' a lot of townies. Tongue

I've noticed that when you do the 'set to age' cheat, any sim younger than teens will still have the 'grow up' aspiration and no LTW. Do they get these when you use this hack, or is it still the same?

Nope, it is different. I am forcing the townie to go through an actual 'Age Transition' so... if they are a child and grow up to teen, the dialog box pops up where you get to choose the Aspiration and memories. This should also set the LTW. Sims will also get the 'grow up good' (or bad) memory depending on their aspiration level. Smiley

*whew* That was a lot of questions. Keep 'em coming, as well as any feedback. I'll think about making a poll or something.

Ste

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 05, 17:52:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well... first of all, the main difference is that my hack actually works. Wink [/ain't I a bitch?] All kidding aside, I am not messing around with time or trying to have townies age based on the clock. Townies DO NOT age on their own, and they DO NOT age when the clock reaches 6:00 pm like normal playable sims. This is a social interaction which shows up when you click on a townie that you have a good relationship with (best friends, crush, or love - I didn't bother to include engagement or marriage because being engaged implies love or at least you had to be in love to get engaged, and marriage... well duh. Tongue).

Well, I was trying to ask you if it worked, in so many words.  Apparently I am a big bitch for daring to criticize the great Squinge, so I was just wondering what the main difference was in this as opposed to his non-working hack.  Tongue

Sounds like it's a completely different hack though, so I'll check it out.   Smiley

Also, you know who is a great hack tester?  Nec.  She loves doing it, and she checks like every single combination.  Do you know if she's checked out this one yet?
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 05, 18:09:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Blue Smiley (You are trying to make me blush Tongue!)  I downloaded it. I was going to put it in my other game by itself out of curiosity. I haven't really decided yet. I think I am still recovering from the aging townies thing.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 05, 18:12:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehe.  Well, you are a good tester.  Would ya test this one?  I'll be looking forward to hearing your results, because honestly, I only have one family going at the moment (and they don't know anyone really), so no one to really test this on.  Kiss
Nec
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 05, 18:22:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, thank you Smiley Yes, I will test it for the long term. I have a good test hood for it, actually. Should be interesting to see the results.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 July 05, 19:25:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can count me in Syber.  I love the way you made it so WE decide which townie we want to age and/or make them rest in peace.  Tongue  Squinge one was completely different and it did not interest me to try it out because of the big possibility of BFBVFS.  Anyhow, the general idea of having them ALL age was not an aspect I liked.

Right now, I have a small test neighborhood with all the sections added that I can use for testing it.  I will add more controllable Sims into it so the possibilities of them being best friends/crush/in love will increase.

1st stupid question.  If the lot I play is at aging off, I guess it will cause a problem to age the townie so I am better off putting it at on 1st before I try it?

Personally, I like the way you made it just as it is, I see no reason to enable it for sims that are just friends.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 05, 19:30:20 by MissDoh » Logged
syberspunk
Heretic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 July 05, 20:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1st stupid question.  If the lot I play is at aging off, I guess it will cause a problem to age the townie so I am better off putting it at on 1st before I try it?

Personally, I like the way you made it just as it is, I see no reason to enable it for sims that are just friends.

Thanks. I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to setting some restrictions, because you fall into the trap of trying to please everyone, and eventually people will ask to tweak this or tweak that, like autonomy or relationship requirements, and while I would like to try and please everyone, it is kind of a hard thing to do. Tongue I think I may make a version with no relationship requirements tho, that way if someone wants to age any townie they want any time, they can do it.

As for aging off... I think the code checks for that, and does not allow aging if it is off. Basically, I am setting the townies days left in age stage to 0 and just pushing the age transition process onto them. So... it sort of acts as if they are aging like regular sims. Since I don't really change that actual BHAV itself (because if I did, it would probably affect regular playable sims, so I did not want to screw around with that directrly) all the other regular restrictions that apply to playables I assume also applies to townies. So, in a nutshell, I think that having aging off will also prevent townies from aging. You can try it and see what happens.

The interaction works as follows:

Playable Sim A asks Townie Sim B to 'Grow Up' or 'Say Goodbye Forever'
Sim A does the 'Approval' animation and Sim B does the 'Nod' animation
Sim A proceeds to 'Laugh Strongly' and 'Cheer' (this happens even if the age transition fails since I am not using synced anims).
Sim B attempts to go through the Age Transition.
If it is successful, everything should act as normal i.e. the townie should age to the next stage or death if Elder.
If it fails, Sim B will shake their head.

I did this hopefully to catch any possible failures. This may not catch all cases, but for the code to be 'clean' I wanted failures to end somewhat silently without causing any jump bug errors, except maybe for egregious ones. So if you do get any 'jump bug' errors, they should be 'real' problems. Anything that fails silently with the 'shake head' anim may require a bit more debugging on my part. But it really shouldn't happen unless something is wrong with the Age Controller (either it got corrupted or deleted or something). As for the case with Aging off, I just took a look at the code, and if that option is set, then there should be no aging. So, what you will see is the animations as above, with Sim A nodding and cheering, and Sim B nodding first, but then shaking their head because they can't go through the age transition.

Ste

MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 July 05, 21:17:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

realy realy intresting mod..
the problem is: the number of the dead townies.
How many sims could die before the game exploding ?  Grin

i'm not an expert on this field but i think that, if the neighborhood memory be come too big the game performace will decrase.
i've asked some time ago on the maxis official forum for a tool that will clean the memory of the entire neighborhood .. in some way
but no1 have reply, but i think that will be usefull to DELETE from memory all dead sims (that mean, face tumbnails, and all unusefull things)

btw i like it alot Smiley
about the italian translation...

Ask to grow = "Chiedi di crescere"
Say goodbye forever = "Digli addio per sempre"

you could put it on the next release ? Cheesy
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 July 05, 21:36:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am using Squinge's, so presumably this would clash with it?  I have been thinking of taking it out though, as I've really done what I wanted, which was to have all the townies at different ages.  I don't like the way that if they marry one of my Sims, they can be decades younger than them and then I'm stuck with them on their own for eons, so letting them age helped with that.  Some had already aged anyway through going to Inge's prison, but I don't have that anymore.

As far as NPC's go, I know they are OK if they become playable as I've had a few who have aged and died normally.  The Headmaster Brandi Broke married in my first Pleasantview was always a bit buggy, but I've played Kaylynn in both and she's been fine.  I'm planning something at the moment that might conflict with an ageing NPC mod anyway, as it would involve them ageing in any case insofar as they would become playable but also remain working NPC's, so maybe that would be better as an 'optional extra', at least in my case.

This could come in handy with townie children, because there are occasions when it's obvious that there is chemistry between them and one of my townie kids (or even older).  As I've said on another thread, Lilith Pleasant made best friends with a townie kid, who was constantly phoning her and turning-up on outings she was on, and she's now moved him in.  It turned out they had exactly the same personalities, to the nearest point.  Seems a bit sick, but it seems that chemistry crosses all boundaries, including adult/child.  Lilith has a better relationship with this former townie than she does with her own kids.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 July 05, 22:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would love to test this (since I'm tired of doing it the "make selectable" way. Too bad I'm away from my sims....so I'll just leave this random post to remind me to do it when I get back.  Roll Eyes

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
NikonSnow
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 July 06, 01:13:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is one of those hacks that is really needed but never requested because it seems impossible.  Grin

Now I can still determine who ages and when and I never have to take control of the other sim. I like the check for friends too, it makes it more in step with the rest of the game. Thank you. Smiley
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 July 06, 01:22:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the detailed information Syber, if I ever see Sim B shake head for no obvious reasons, I will try to found out why.  I always play with Testing cheats at true so if an error happens I cannot miss it. 

Though in my testing hood I don't have any lots at aging off, I am predicting that if this mod goes as well as it sounds, I will use it in my other hoods. Smiley

I remember though when only University was out, when we sent townie teens to college the game did not generate new ones I even tried to send them all in hope it would trigger something but it did not.  I was not usiing any mod at time (gee so many things change since then) is it still like this?  If I age transition a few kids, will the game automatically generate new ones.  How low does the pool have to be so the game will generate new teens and kids?  Since NIghtlife, I did not sent any townie teens to Univeristy so I have no idea how it is working now.
lindaetterlee
Knuckleheaded Knob

Proud Army Wife. Support us or get the fuck out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 July 06, 01:36:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone tested this with inteen? lol don't shoot me had to ask.

Proud Army Wife of a soldier deployed to IRAQ. Support us or get the fuck out.
I am 25.

Quote from: lindaetterlee
The same thing happened with my Pescado, before this he was a lady's man. Now he is some guy's bitch.
syberspunk
Heretic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 July 06, 04:08:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am using Squinge's, so presumably this would clash with it?  I have been thinking of taking it out though, as I've really done what I wanted, which was to have all the townies at different ages.  I don't like the way that if they marry one of my Sims, they can be decades younger than them and then I'm stuck with them on their own for eons, so letting them age helped with that.  Some had already aged anyway through going to Inge's prison, but I don't have that anymore.

I actually don't know. I didn't use Squinge's hack or look at it, so I'm not even sure how he attempted to handle this or what BHAVs he edited. You'd have to check this with a conflict detecting tool to be sure. I checked back every now and then to see the progress of it, but then I saw that it was discontinued. It sorta inspired me to figure out my own solution.

I remember though when only University was out, when we sent townie teens to college the game did not generate new ones I even tried to send them all in hope it would trigger something but it did not.  I was not usiing any mod at time (gee so many things change since then) is it still like this?  If I age transition a few kids, will the game automatically generate new ones.  How low does the pool have to be so the game will generate new teens and kids?  Since NIghtlife, I did not sent any townie teens to Univeristy so I have no idea how it is working now.

Actually... since I haven't played the game longterm myself, I don't know the answer to this. I didn't even know that the game did not regenerate townie children or teens once aged up. Perhaps the townie generator only does adults? And the only reason why there were townie children and townie teens is because Maxis specifically generated them? I have no idea. I'd have to look at the code to be sure. Maybe Pescado knows since he made all those noregen hacks.

Ok, so I've updated with a fix for a bug Nec reported. I had cloned the interactions from another hack, and did not realise that it contained a line which was setting sims as stayover visitors. This should be fixed now.

If anyone wants me to add other languages, I would need translations for the following:

Ask to Grow Up
Grow Up
Say Goodbye Forever
Die of Old Age

Ste

MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Testers Wanted: Grow Up Townies *EXPERIMENTAL* (Updated 7/5/2006)
« Reply #21 on: 2006 July 06, 05:01:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually... since I haven't played the game longterm myself, I don't know the answer to this. I didn't even know that the game did not regenerate townie children or teens once aged up. Perhaps the townie generator only does adults? And the only reason why there were townie children and townie teens is because Maxis specifically generated them? I have no idea. I'd have to look at the code to be sure. Maybe Pescado knows since he made all those noregen hacks.

Well I hope someone can answer this.  I can always create some using the tombstone of L&D and then Inge shrub to make them townies but I just don't want at some point the game will not consider the one I created and suddently create the missing teen/kid I already created so I would end-up with too many kids/teens townie in game.  Once transformed into townie, if they are really counted as townie by the game than I should not have this problem, but again, this is a thing I did not try in my game.  I could try it though in that test hood with no problem.

I just downloaded the newest version and will install this one.

Thanks for your help Syber. Smiley
Nec
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 July 06, 05:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Regarding Squinge's version: he pulled it for a reason. I had mentioned adding something like this hack to it to aid in the growing up process while I was testing it, but all in all the whole thing ended up not working. Unless he put it back up and has a new version, I would remove it, personally, Ancient Sim.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2006 July 06, 08:32:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, it is different. I am forcing the townie to go through an actual 'Age Transition' so... if they are a child and grow up to teen, the dialog box pops up where you get to choose the Aspiration and memories. This should also set the LTW. Sims will also get the 'grow up good' (or bad) memory depending on their aspiration level. Smiley

Okay, thanks Steve, I'm going to download this and try it out. I have Uni and NL only and I'm going to create a dummy 'hood to test it out  Smiley I'll let you know how it goes Grin

MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 July 06, 09:36:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

about ITA translation:

Ask to Grow Up=Chiedi di crescere
Grow Up=Cresci
Say Goodbye Forever=Digli addio per sempre
Die of Old Age=Muori di vecchiaia
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: