More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 23:01:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  No dormies in sight - not even my own
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: No dormies in sight - not even my own  (Read 5491 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
No dormies in sight - not even my own
« on: 2005 August 29, 08:36:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another night playing, another problem, sigh.

I made a dorm. I put it in my new n'hood with no Maxis characters. I moved in some sims. The cook appeared but no dormies.

I have the nodormieregen hack but I have also created a dozen or so young adults and added them to the townie pool. I was expecting these young adults to turn up and claim rooms in the dorm.

Does the nodormieregen hack stop my own created townies moving in? I don't want to spawn any Maxis ones, I just want my own.

RTFM Quote: "GAME CHANGES:
Dormies no longer spawn when vacancies exist in dorms. Existing dormies are
unaffected and continue to function normally. Special-university townies
like the Secret Society members should be unaffected - only the random
dormie population is affected."

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
Re: No dormies in sight - not even my own
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 29, 13:12:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it should! I use the same hack, and in a custom neighborhood I made a bunch of my own dormies with Inge's teleporter bush. When I started a new dorm my custom dormies started wandering on and claiming rooms within a sim hour or so.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 29, 15:41:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never had that happen, and it can't be that they're already living in another dorm as some of them seem to move into every dorm you open up!  But one or two of the Maxis dorms are corrupted - particularly the 6-room dorm from the lot bin.

Zephyr Zodiac
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 29, 17:13:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zephyr. When you say corrupted...how is it corrupted? Because that is exactly the dorm my Sims that don't have their appearance changed saved are living. I am wondering if it could be the dorm that is fracking up my Sims?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 29, 18:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I  had a problem with dormies, among a load of other problems, so I just moved my sims out into a five-room dorm which I know is OK, and they were fine.  (Don't like big dorms, too much going on for me to handle!!!)  If you're using that same dorm, I'll swear it's the problem!  I'd go inform the guys at Maxis, but they wouldn't take any notice!

Zephyr Zodiac
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 29, 20:06:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah I am using that same dorm because like you I don't like big dorms but also because its the only dorm I can fit in a double bed in all the rooms. I'm too lazy to build a new dorm or make extensive reconstructions on the other dorms. Before moving them in, I used the cheat to redecorate the dorm and although I don't put one in all the rooms its nice to know I can do that further down the line. I wan't my Sims to have the most fun out of their Uni days Cheesy

My affected Sims are still living in that dorm but I did move them out to a normal housing (not a dorm) and the no saving changed appearances problem persisted so I moved them back in. I am hoping that when they graduate and 'grow up' again the problem will automatically fix itself.

The dorm in question I have not had any other problems though. No problems with Uni townies or anything (knocks furiously on wood).
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 29, 20:55:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, like you, I used the dorm because of the size of the rooms.  I think you can get a double bed in all the rooms, but usually that's about all you can get in.  Anyway, I've virtually given up with dorms, I just use them for CAS sims to get them started if there isn't a house with a spare room or two.  They're also quite useful if you want to move a sim out of a greek house and into a house of their own, which you need to do if you want to move them into another greek house!!!!  Crazy!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 30, 05:02:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My dorm is a custom made 15 bed dorm. (I like the big ones! Wink) I made it to upload but discovered that packaged it is nearly 80Mb so I don't know whether I will upload at all.

I didn't know any of the Maxis dorms were corrupt, good info to have.

I'll try again tonight, maybe I didn't wait long enough for townies to move in. I saw the game freeze 4-5 times as it obviously tried to generate dormies & failed - Ta Pescado!

Also I only have about 8-9 townie young adults, maybe there's not enbough of them to make a full dorm, don't know if that would affect anything.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 30, 05:26:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the 6 room dorm (though a bit remade and remodled), and I haven't had any problems with it. Exactly what kind of problems do you mean? For instance, what do the dormies do different than on a normal dorm? (I never cared about them anyway; not my problem.)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 30, 08:29:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wasn't just the dormies not moving in, it was things like if I moved my sims out and moved another lot of sims into a supposedly empty dorm, it those dormies had eventually moved in the first time, they didn't move out again but were still there!  There were a load of other problems as well, but I can't remember what exactly.  Next time I go into the college I could load the dorm again and try it....

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 30, 13:33:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...like if I moved my sims out and moved another lot of sims into a supposedly empty dorm, it those dormies had eventually moved in the first time, they didn't move out again but were still there!

I had the same problem too, although in my case, there were still enough rooms to go around. I did notice the townie dormies unclaim their doors shortly after my second batch of YAs moved in; I had wanted to influence the townie dormies to do their term paper while my YAs work on the assignments, but I couldn't find anyone, even when I went into Build Mode to check they weren't hiding. I also have the mind control mirror hung up, the townie dormies' names weren't available anymore. They, with some other new faces, came back to reclaim/claim doors later.

In another instance, I moved the Bright Household (Sim State pre-mades) into a dorm as they didn't have much cash, low (or, no) skills and I figured living in a dorm would save them time on cooking/cleaning as the dorm cook will take care of the food and influencing townie dormies to clean keep the place spick and span while they concentrate on skills building for their required majors so they have maximised academic bars, and use the free time they have working as the dorm cook to earn some cash or play on instruments/freestyle for tips when their fun levels drop too low for me to be able make them do anything else. Of course, this was before all the 'more awesome than you' hacks. When I feel they've earned enough simoleans (along with selling some little dorm items to buy a cheap telescope, cheating yes, but my reasoning was the pre-mades were 'cheated' out of scholarships too and I didn't want to use kaching or motherlode which will give them way too much cash then), to tide them over a semester, I moved them back to their little rental house before the bills came. Then I went back to the dorm in Build mode to replace the sold items and the faces of the Bright Household were still on the dorm doors! I fixed that by deleting and replacing the doors, and 'moveObjects on' deleted the townie dormies and dorm cook still stuck there, the dorm was then completely empty when I moved another batch of my YAs in. The townie dormies still came to claim doors as usual.

Nowadays, I prefer to use my remodelled dorms (8 tiny single rooms with only enough space for a bed, wardrobe, end table and a cheap full-length mirror, with 2 empty rooms just big enough for double-beds, or love-tubs/hot-tubs on the flat roof for when they want to woohoo) which I've packaged for re-use. My YAs all live on completely identical dorms because I forgot and gave the facade a coat of paint, but was too sick of all the constant remodelling to strip it off. At least the lot has no problems so far.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 30, 14:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just got the Brights into gold enough to be able to buy a couple of money trees!

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 01, 13:01:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I desperately wanted new clothes for them, couldn't stand the sight of their original looks  Tongue. Martin is actually not that bad looking, it's the dumb hair and plain looking clothes that made him look awfully unattractive. And Allegra, oh my, I thought she looked like a blind woman with that combination of make-up, hair and clothes  Cheesy. Then there's Jane, obese and wearing that dowdy top and jeans, how is she gonna snag a mate, looking like that  Lips sealed? I usually have my YAs spend a whole day at the gym (which I had remodelled, complete with a basement pool, cafeteria and barrista) working as instructors to earn some dough, they were able to earn faster than waiting for the money trees to bloom. It's amazing how much they can earn  Wink, and they get to work on their body skill at the same time. Too bad the Brights didn't have much, so it was to the dorms first to get some skills. They will eventually be moved to greek houses, so I was saving their aspiration points till then  Tongue.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: