More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 00:46:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  'No Patch' Play - How do you feel about this?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 'No Patch' Play - How do you feel about this?  (Read 15390 times)
SockMonkey
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
'No Patch' Play - How do you feel about this?
« on: 2006 June 11, 21:11:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must say I have not missed anything that the patches could have provided.  I wondered how others felt about this experience, too?

Well, after a number of reinstalls, and this last time a while back now, I made the decision to leave out all the patches and take my chances.  I downloaded all the must-have hacks and mods, that I always use and whenever I came across a new problem.  I have many that just make game play more exciting.

I have to say the most annoying thing has been the heavy hit on motives - What is up with that?  I create my Sims with at least six points in neat and active and you would think they were pregnant, lazy, sloppy and elderly all at the same time.

Thank you for responding with your thoughts,

SM

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: 'No Patch' Play - How do you feel about this?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 11, 22:09:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The patches in many cases fix things that could make your game otherwise end up in a BFBVFS (a.k.a., a big fiery ball visible from space).  Plus, some of the more recent mods and hacks assume that the game is patched, and may work in unpredictable ways if it isn't.

No, it's a good idea to patch the game.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 11, 22:25:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm playing an unpatched OFB--I have no owned comm lots because of this --and I don't really like because it seems like half the things OFB has to offer I can't use. Yet. I am impatiently awaiting for the second patch.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 11, 22:27:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So why don't you just install the first patch?  It really does fix the worst of the community lot/owned lot bugs.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 11, 22:44:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

im currently playing a unpatched game. and everything seems in working order . well at least theres no big fire balls ,
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 11, 23:50:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm stilly playing an unpatched OFB b/c I'm afraid of the undeletable CC effect that some pple have reported. So far, no patch related problems that I've seen.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 12, 00:10:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So why don't you just install the first patch?  It really does fix the worst of the community lot/owned lot bugs.

Because I use the delete function to delete recolors etc too often and I don't want to lose that. Also, I'ver heard that the patch doesn't fix everything -- I'll wait.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 12, 00:59:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, Venusy, that's what I'm saying exactly. Very good to point us to a thread delineating the other glithes with the patch. That's why I'm waiting.
Countess
Verona
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 12, 01:26:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just have to chuckle. If you are waiting for Maxis to create a patch that fixes *everything*, you may be in for a very long wait.  Cheesy
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 12, 01:29:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, Venusy, that's what I'm saying exactly. Very good to point us to a thread delineating the other glithes with the patch. That's why I'm waiting.
Where is this link by Venusy?  I don't see it.  Huh
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 12, 01:43:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Venusy Mumta removed it. Smiley It was the 'is the patch working for you blah blah' thread

I don't expect Maxis to fix ALL the bugs, are you kidding?? But I do want to have the delete thing AND the ability to own comm lots without my sim disappearing. I'm just picky I guess... Roll Eyes
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 12, 02:11:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I understand, this "fix" will be in everything going forward, so you'll get it sooner or later, with any patch or new EP/SP.
webwench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 12, 04:05:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game is unpatched for the pure and simple fact that everytime I try to download the bloody thing, it fails.  I don't know what is failing, precisely, but the patch won't download.  So far, my game has not launched into a fiery ball Smiley I do get the stuck-on-a-community-lot bug, but really, it's workaroundable by taking a taxi Smiley Otherwise, smooth sailing.
staroverthebay
Nitwitted Nuisance

¯\(º_o)/¯ lol wut?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 12, 06:05:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder if it's possible to get the patch on a CD or something, for those people who don't have good reliable internet on their Sims2 computer?

Not that I have that problem, mind ye, but I've thought about getting a computer with good RAM specifically just for The Sims 2. Cuz quite frankly, the game runs so SLOW for me.

¯\(º_o)/¯ I dunno lol
YOUNG AND STUPID.
Introverted, Sensing, Thinking and Perceiving. Conclusion: I IS TOILET PAPER!
Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 June 12, 07:07:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, Staroverthebay, I have recently bought myself a computer for my games that is not connected to the net. I have downloaded the patches to a flash drive, they transferred over without problems. I download everything to my flash drive, scan it with Nortons and plug it into my computer. So nice not to have to fight the family for computer time when I want to play for hours!

But I do get your point. It is hard for those without internet access, Just about every game needs to be patched these days. Though Maxis must hold the record, needing to patch a stuff pack  Grin
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 June 12, 07:25:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I don't know about OFB so much, but I do know I was ready to fall on my knees and praise Heaven for the NL patch that finally fixed the terrain-plagued house packager!

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 June 12, 09:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't consider playing an unpatched game, but if you WANT bugs in your game, go ahead. It's your BFFBFS.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 June 12, 13:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to fix things that are broken.
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 June 12, 13:50:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm actually playing an unpatched game too. No fire balls either. I didn't patch mainly because I use a lot of hacks, both here and MTS2, and I don't even want to start to check compatability. Luckily, I can own community lots. I'm basically waiting for the Pets EP. Because it is easier to see if a hack works for certain EP than certain patch of an EP. I'm going away for the most of this summer so I won't play much.

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Kala
Dimwitted Dunce

Stop Screwing!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 June 12, 18:30:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

im currently playing a unpatched game. and everything seems in working order . well at least theres no big fire balls ,

That's the boat I'm in too.  Most problems I've had in the past weren't covered by Maxis patches.

You can spell and that's great.  What else can you do?  Being an ass doesn't count.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 June 12, 19:33:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fireballs tend to build for a while before exploding.  Who knew TS2 in it's virgin state was a BFBVFS waiting to happen until people started playing it and then problems started popping up?  Besides, if the modders whose hacks you use have the patch, then it would be wise to have the patch as well because they've written their hacks assuming that certain aspects of the game code will behave in a certain way, and if yours is different, well, you shouldn't be surprised if you have problems.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 June 12, 19:39:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's probably some people out there that don't install Microsoft Windows updates because they see no need for them.  Also, these are probably the same people that think Microsoft is watching them.  These same people also complain when Microsoft actually tries to do anything about these problems, whining that they're copying of MacOS X.  Whatever.

Back on topic, I keep my game patched mostly for compatibility and issues that modders won't even bother with anymore.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 June 12, 22:07:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup. And those are the same idiots who are responsible for keeping trojans and viruses alive, since they refuse to plug their security holes out of misplaced paranoia.
If they really were THAT anti-Microsoft they'd not be running Windows (but if they were competent enough to run something else, they'd realize Microsoft is relatively harmless… nice dilemma).

Fortunately with games like TS2 the only one suffering is the person refusing to patch himself.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 June 12, 23:23:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fireballs tend to build for a while before exploding.  Who knew TS2 in it's virgin state was a BFBVFS waiting to happen until people started playing it and then problems started popping up?  Besides, if the modders whose hacks you use have the patch, then it would be wise to have the patch as well because they've written their hacks assuming that certain aspects of the game code will behave in a certain way, and if yours is different, well, you shouldn't be surprised if you have problems.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 June 13, 07:03:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, you'll generally get the patches with expansions whether you want them or not. The lengthy list of things that each patch is supposed to fix is enough to convince me.  I think it's a bit optimistic to assume that because those things aren't causing obvious problems right now, they won't bite you later.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: