More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 02:07:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can't I build any dorm in a uni neighbourhood ?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can't I build any dorm in a uni neighbourhood ?  (Read 10156 times)
Little Dragonbaby
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Can't I build any dorm in a uni neighbourhood ?
« on: 2006 June 10, 04:02:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I realise that there're some bad layouts in some dorms. E.g bathrooms're on the 2nd floor while the bedrooms're on the ground and the students have to go upstairs everytime. I tried to build one for my own, but completely unavailable.

So would appreciate it if anyone has any dorm lot in good layouts. As all of u can see that it's better to let the young sims stay in a dorm than a house for rent.

The Sims is my second life ?
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Can't I build any dorm in a uni neighbourhood ?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 10, 04:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried making a dorm on a residental lot, then using "changeLotZoning" to make it a dorm? I tend to make my own dorms that way, or at least edit current ones so they're less annoying.

Either way, I too would appreciate any links or downloads of any decent dorms. Primarily, any of them that look nice on the outside and have big dorm rooms.
Little Dragonbaby
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 10, 05:38:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried making a dorm on a residental lot, then using "changeLotZoning" to make it a dorm? I tend to make my own dorms that way, or at least edit current ones so they're less annoying.

Either way, I too would appreciate any links or downloads of any decent dorms. Primarily, any of them that look nice on the outside and have big dorm rooms.

"changeLotZoning"-Is it a new program ? Plz advise.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 10, 05:50:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you build your dorm as you want it, then bring up the cheat box, type changelotzoning dorm into it, then save and exit-when you enter the lot again it will be a dorm. If you like you can type in the cheat box dormSpecificToolsDisabled false to change exsisting dorms around to your liking. Just type 'true' instead of false to change it back so you can't build while students are there  Smiley

Little Dragonbaby
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 10, 06:38:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for your instruction. Maybe I'll set up a new Uni neighbourhood with more comfortable dorms for my young sims Smiley

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 10, 06:48:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good plan Cheesy Be careful though, more comfortable dorms usually mean much higher bills!

sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 10, 10:41:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The best dorms have one or two big nice rooms, depending on how many playable sims, and a bunch of tiny rooms, like 4 squares for the NPCs. They don't need beds etc.

Plus if you make it right, you can put bathroom access only through the playable sim's room. Dormies are much more fun if they pass out an piss themselves all the time. Makes it like real life.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 10, 10:42:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good plan Cheesy Be careful though, more comfortable dorms usually mean much higher bills!
IF your dorms get billed. It seems to be rather inconsistent whether or not your dorm will receive bills at all!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 10, 13:11:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that if teens that are born in-game move to a dorm they don't tend to be billed, but if you add a teen townie to the dorm, the bills start arriving as regular. If it is a CAS-made YA then they definitely get billed.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 10, 13:44:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting theory...  I'm going to have to try it out some time.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 10, 14:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I was wondering about the dorm bills, too.

In one of my own hoods that I started a long time ago, the dorms I used for my born-in-game YAs never got any bills.  Ever. The mail carrier comes, but doesn't put any bills in the box.  Never has, whether they're all my sims in the dorm or there are townie dormies.  And I change colors of the dorm rooms and furniture every time a new sim of mine moves in.  And occasionally add stuff to the dorms.  In fact, I changed the staircases in all of them to the modular stairs while I had YAs living there.  Still no bills.

I recently started another hood where I made all my sims YAs so they could all start at Uni and get their skills built up before going to the hood.  Same campus as the first one, same dorms.  I made some minor changes to the dorms in the second hood, mostly color changes as I color-coded them to go with the four colors of pens I use to make it easier to keep track of who's in what dorm on my Uni chart.  (Made the changes before I moved in any sims.)

The first semester these YAs were there their bills were over $1000.  Second sem they were just over $900.  They keep going down, but they've had to pay bills every semester.

I thought it was odd that in the first Uni there have never been any bills for any of the dorms, since all my other Uni dorms/residences have bills, but I thought the bills were way over what they should have been in this last one.  This bunch must be paying the bills the first bunch doesn't get!

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 10, 15:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen that in my game, too, and that explains it. When I first started playing uni, I used the Maxis-mades, and they all got bills. Then I had a run of all game-born students, and the bills stopped.  Now I'm playing a combo of some Maxis-mades I didn't play early on, a CAS-made brother and sister, and game borns, and only the dorms without game-borns get bills.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 10, 19:26:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See-told ya! Cheesy I noticed this a while ago.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 10, 23:19:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe their parents are secretly paying them!

Zephyr Zodiac
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 June 11, 12:58:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Hits the Thanks button for ElviraGoth*

I always wondered why my YA's didn't get bills and thought it was because I moved them out after the first semester

Don't buy a Gnome with learning difficulties - It's not big and its not clever!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 June 11, 13:42:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually found it completely random, for example I have 4 of the 5-roomed dorms, no dormies, but all the YAs that were waiting in the bin are in one, and the other three have all the Pleasantview and Bluewater Village townie teens in.  And the bills were pretty low - and at least they aren't paying for a load of dormies to sponge off them!  In each case I eventually made them residential, but the bills didn't go up, except by what you'd expect as they bought better furnishings.

Zephyr Zodiac
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 June 11, 14:22:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I've ever paid bills in a dorm, but that is just fine by me. Staying completely true to life, it is complete crap to have to pay the bills for all the townies that live there too. No point and since my sims get scholorships, they really shouldn't have to pay for anything.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 June 11, 14:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even more so for the poor CAS YAs who start with 500 simoleons apiece!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 June 11, 14:28:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Presumably, those "scholarships" were intended to pay for your dorm bills, as opposed to being free pocket money to do...well, there's not a whole lot you'd want to buy anyway. Those odd jobs Uni introduced? Probably to pay for those hapless scholarship-less chumps.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 June 11, 14:41:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a sense there's not much point in buying anything you don't actually need, most of the furniture is virtually valueless by the time you've carted it all back to Pleasantview in your backpack/bumbag (inventory) and even works of art mostly deteriorate pretty quickly too. Better really to continue living in a comfortless dump and save your cash.  Send your girlfriend back first, so she can struggle along to make a home for you, send her the cash and then return to a nice little house in a leafy suburb!

Zephyr Zodiac
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 June 11, 16:15:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well thanks to no 20k handouts, that "pocket money" is extremely needed! That makes the difference between living on the lawn with your uni furniture and no terlet to living in a box with some furniture and a terlet. I prefer the box and I think my sims do too.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 June 11, 16:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm absolutely sure they do!

Zephyr Zodiac
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 June 12, 13:38:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My current CAS made YA has pretty much made a career out of DJing on community lots.  And thanks to communityskilling maxed out creativity in no time.  He's living pretty comfortably now seeing as how he makes $30 a pop DJing as opposed to $16 a pop serving Expresso like they all had to do back in the old days.  Or worse yet, working in the caffiteria.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 June 12, 13:42:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds good - pity they don't get tips for karaoke!

I usually send my would-be generals and athletes off to the gym to coach dormies!  They can do pretty well from that, and if you stick a PC in the gym, they can get their term paper done while they're there.

Zephyr Zodiac
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 June 12, 14:21:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you serious?? That is all stuff you can do?? Well, I think I might let my uni students roam around a little. Hmmm...I have a senior right now so I think I'll let him use his 72 hours to earn some extra cash. And all this time I've been sending them to the espresso bar. I can't beilieve that I never heard of that stuff, but I really didn't like uni, aside from getting a degree.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: