More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 09:14:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Walking to lots
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Walking to lots  (Read 6086 times)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Walking to lots
« on: 2006 June 08, 18:55:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've always thought that it was kind of dumb for sims to either call a taxi or drive to a lot right next to their house. Is there a hack somewhere that allows a sim to walk to a lot that you can see from your house?
dadditude
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Walking to lots
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 08, 19:15:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish there was. It could be used to add a bit of "exploration" to the 'hood. Take the taxi from home to downtown, then walk from one lot to another just checking 'em out.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend;
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 08, 19:43:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wouldn't sem quite so daft if we had a teleporter like the hole in the ground in MM!  At least you could imagine they were walking through the sewers! (Ugh!)

Zephyr Zodiac
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 08, 21:57:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People have been asking for a hack like this one forever. I wish it was possible, but I don't know if it is. It seems logical that a sim could wander to the portal at the end of the lot and then have the next lot load, but I don't know if the whole thing is tied to the cars/taxi and the whole thing would asplode if someone messed with it.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 08, 22:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I believe you can't safely click on a neighbour's house to load the lot any more, it would obviously be a risky thing to do.  What I don't understand, though, is why they have to go everywhere by taxi or car, but when they autonomously go to a community lot as non-controllables, or walk by another house, or call on a friend, they WALK!

Maybe it comes under the same set of mysteries as the one Knowledge sims in the Science career try to solve - about why they went everywhere by car or taxi, but couldn't drive (dunno if they've updated that one, haven't had a sim in that career for a while, and definitely don't remember seeing the pop-up.)

Zephyr Zodiac
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 08, 23:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I believe you can't safely click on a neighbour's house to load the lot any more

Why is that so? I click on a neighbor's house to load all the time. Never had a problem.

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 08, 23:09:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I believe you can't safely click on a neighbour's house to load the lot any more

Why should this be nonsafe?  I suspect you're confused with the Lot Sync Timer—that one has a conflict. The normal method still works.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 08, 23:20:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that's really what I was thinking about - it's a while since I used the normal method as I got rid of the neighbourhood view as it was sllowing my game down.  Plus I'm half asleep.  Sorry.

Zephyr Zodiac
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 09, 00:42:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For some reason, a kid in one of my houses walked home from school yesterday, and even brought a friend with him. The bus came, but it didn't do anything. He and his friend walked onto the lot as if they were visitors, but proceeded to act normally. So this is probably possible, and it's something I'd like to see too.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 09, 05:20:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, to leave and reenter their own lot is no doubt possible, since Uni sims do it all the time!  And whereas in the leafy suburbs a school bus may be the way to go, I should think most Downtown kids use shanks' pony to go to school.

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 09, 08:44:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For some reason, a kid in one of my houses walked home from school yesterday, and even brought a friend with him. The bus came, but it didn't do anything. He and his friend walked onto the lot as if they were visitors, but proceeded to act normally. So this is probably possible, and it's something I'd like to see too.
Walking back onto the lot is, as I recall, a "fallback" attempt, so something must have gone wrong with the bus.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 09, 14:16:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've wanted this ever since it was possible to view other lots, but I think it may be something we have to wait for TS3 to get.  What I would like much more though is the option to go visit a neighbouring house in the same way as visiting a community lot and I still don't know why that isn't possible.  There are several ways it could be done, none of them complicated, but for some reason they still insist it isn't feasible.  Something else that will probably appear in TS3, I suppose.  Strange we;ve not heard anythng about that, I'm sure they were talking about TS2 by the time TS1 had reached the expansio 3/4 stage.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 09, 14:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think we'll see normal time lapse on lots before we'll see visitable neighbours. Conceptually I don't see the problem with making the visited family act like visitors, which is how a neighbour visit would work.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 09, 15:51:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think we'll see normal time lapse on lots before we'll see visitable neighbours. Conceptually I don't see the problem with making the visited family act like visitors, which is how a neighbour visit would work.
Visitors kinda rely on the ability to leave the lot as their escape valve. Unfortunately, when you hunt a sim into its point of no-retreat, bad things happen. You can already witness some of the rather dysfunctional behavior from employees kept around too long without Business Runs You.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 June 09, 16:26:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I suppose they can always go to bed, and then you'd get a pop-up "Don't you think the xxxx Family has outstayed its welcome, and maybe it's time they went home?"

Zephyr Zodiac
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 June 10, 01:56:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Walking back onto the lot is, as I recall, a "fallback" attempt, so something must have gone wrong with the bus.

Something keeps going wrong with the bus, because the kid keeps walking home. I think I might have to move this family; they are also unable to throw parties. Everyone shows up, but no one seems to know it's a party. I can't even get the "have a party" want satisfied through cheating. Bleah. Only to generation 3, and already my legacy household is glitched.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 June 10, 04:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Couldn't they go into aspiration failure? And how would you save the changes to the family you are visiting? Would you want to?

Walking to a community lot should be possible. Argh!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 June 10, 09:07:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Something keeps going wrong with the bus, because the kid keeps walking home. I think I might have to move this family; they are also unable to throw parties. Everyone shows up, but no one seems to know it's a party. I can't even get the "have a party" want satisfied through cheating. Bleah. Only to generation 3, and already my legacy household is glitched.

Have you got the portal monitor installed?  If so, has it warned you of a portal problem at any time?  If you don't have it, you could try installing it and then loading the house to see if you get the warning.

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 June 10, 09:49:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If something is interfering with party scenarios, try nuking the stuck party, and blowing up the scenario controller ("AWOL Headmaster"). That may clear it up.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: