More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 22:21:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Renaming cc -- Advisable? Procedure? Ramifications?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Renaming cc -- Advisable? Procedure? Ramifications?  (Read 10491 times)
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
Renaming cc -- Advisable? Procedure? Ramifications?
« on: 2006 May 27, 13:59:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, folks. Forgive me, but I don't know much about custom content for TS2, but I'm trying to learn.

I don't have a lot of custom content, but I've been thinking lately about renaming the package files for some of the custom content I've downloaded.  Some have file names that are fairly meaningless -- just numbers and letters -- and it would be convenient to be able to tell what they were at a glance. (The Urbz Mesh T-Shirt by MaxoidMonkey is an example). 

My questions are:  Is this advisable? If it's done, are there places the files should be modified internally? Are there associated files that would need to be modified? (I used to be pretty good with TS1 custom content, and remember there were several places the modifications needed to be done in order to work properly). Will renaming affect custom content that's currently placed/worn in the game?

If there's a good tutorial about this somewhere, pointing me to it will be enough.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might offer.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Renaming cc -- Advisable? Procedure? Ramifications?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 27, 14:36:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are people better qualified than me to help you, but one suggestion sticks out like a sore thumb - get the Clean Installer from ModtheSims2!  Should at least stop any more 999digit file-names!

Zephyr Zodiac
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 27, 14:45:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Renaming is (usually) harmless. The only exception is some game overrides such as custom CASes.

Clothing etc. can be renamed without problems.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 27, 14:47:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was a thread about it here that may help.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 27, 14:56:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most items, unless specifically indicated, can be renamed harmlessly. There are a few items that do not tolerate renaming, but these are unusual in their nature and generally carry specific warnings against it in their documentation. Anything which does not have a proscription against renaming can be renamed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 27, 15:02:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I shan't be renaming much of mine in the near future - I don't want to spend the next week just typing new names to stuff!  But I have renamed a few walls that had the long file name from before I had Clean Installer or the multi-installer.

Zephyr Zodiac
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 27, 16:04:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you all for your help.  I'm off to rename my few pitiful items, after first backing up things for good luck  Wink

I do have the Sims2Pack Clean Installer -- a wonderful tool -- but there are times when it's advantageous to be able to identify files simply by looking at the directory.

Thanks again!

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 27, 18:40:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

what just the one week? slacker . mine would keep sombody in full time employment for at least a month . its such a shame i cart just pay sombody to clean my game up
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 27, 18:41:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

what just the one week? slacker . mine would keep sombody in full time employment for at least a month . its such a shame i cart just pay sombody to clean my game up
rm -rf Downloads would do the job nicely....

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 27, 18:45:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

jm , it may not be entirely obvious , but for me to understand what you mean , you really do have to speak to me like im 4
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 27, 19:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think he means, in his subtle way, get rid of the lot! Shocked

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 27, 20:38:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thats not such a bad idea . the only think that stops me is donation packs which i obviously never bothered to save anywhere . oh and the chance of me finding anything like a serial number for anything is quite slim , last time i had to reinstall some very kind man from tsr spent a few hours showing me how to get in from them from the computer .

belive it or not i do have a very tidy mind , its just hard to find somtimes
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 May 27, 22:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, could I make one suggestion - from now on save everything you download in a saved downloads folder as well as putting it in your game.  Then, at least if the worst comes to the worst, you have some back ups!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 May 27, 22:45:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think he means, in his subtle way, get rid of the lot! Shocked
Heh, yeah. Subtle. Subtle like a 2x4 to the back of the head. Tongue

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 May 27, 23:09:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Subtlety being your strong point, of course?

Zephyr Zodiac
Kala
Dimwitted Dunce

Stop Screwing!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 May 28, 02:04:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks alot everyone.  I've always wanted to rename the files I make, but I didn't what to luv them up. No more jacked up abriviations.

You can spell and that's great.  What else can you do?  Being an ass doesn't count.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 May 28, 03:31:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I rename BS files and Walls and floors but if i try to rename objects or recolors it messes them up...

ISFJ
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 May 28, 08:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i think im going to bite the bullet . and reinstall next week ,it should solve all those werid little promblems i have as well .  and i herby swear that i will make backups of stuff in the future . but you do realise im going to sqarking for week "where can i get this hair ect"
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 May 28, 08:17:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, just because you reinstall doesn't mean you have to lose those downloads, but it might give you the incentive to sort them out - just put them back once you've identified them, backed them up. and decided they really add something to your game.  A good opportunity to get rid of the clutter which comes with every downloaded set, and which you never use!

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 May 28, 14:09:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

na im going to nuke the lot , my download file is 2.64gb . so really it all needs to be burned
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 May 28, 14:14:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that ALL?  I have that much for just one set of game files!  (But I do know what I've got...... Wink)

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 May 28, 14:20:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i would like a much smaller downloads folder , and ive decided untill i can use simpe i dont want any custom skin tones or eyes in my game (the whole gentic thing) and i dont want any unbinned customer hair on my game either, so all in all i think its best to have a nice fresh start .
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 May 28, 14:34:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never had a problem with custom skin-tones, but of course, the files are massive!  Before you start throwing everything out, though, I'd do a search for the letters DON, as a lot of donation stuff has them in the filename somewhere - at least then you could rescue things you've bought in a donation set.

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 May 30, 20:33:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

mm clever idea i uppose i could the same of peggy and rose aswell . and i have 3 days off starting now yippie
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 May 30, 21:03:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great idea!  And if you have 4ESF2 or SimGedoehns donations, they should be easy enough to find.  And you can use Clean Installer as well, to help you identify stuff you want to keep.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: