More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:28:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Game Doesn't Start (MORAL: Delete groups.cache Before Posting)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game Doesn't Start (MORAL: Delete groups.cache Before Posting)  (Read 7062 times)
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
Game Doesn't Start (MORAL: Delete groups.cache Before Posting)
« on: 2006 May 23, 02:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm stumped -- got home today, downloaded a few things (one mod, dolphin26's Servos Recharge at Night, the rest just ordinary custom content), went to start up the game... it showed the splash screen, then nothing. The CD drive went quiet and the executable didn't show up in the list of processes running. Rebooted, made sure the CD drive was behaving (stuck a DVD full of AVIs in it and tested a few), tried setting up a shortcut to run the game in windowed mode... nothing. I was playing last night. Nothing was behaving oddly, nothing's changed except for that handful of downloads, which I know couldn't stop the game in its tracks THAT soon. I'm not even getting the EA and Maxis logos, so there isn't much I can do to troubleshoot, which I would normally do quite a bit of before bringing something here; I'm only hoping that someone already knows what might cause such a problem.

(For the record, I've got all actual EPs but no HP or FF, and I'm running WinXP Home with SP2 on a slightly over a year old Dell Dimension 8400, 3GHz processor, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon X300. Have been successfully playing with no significant problems for several months, albeit not terribly much since the OFB install.)
« Last Edit: 2006 May 23, 02:53:13 by akatonbo » Logged

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Game Doesn't Start At All
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 23, 02:39:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you delete the groups.cache file?  Often times that will do the trick.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 23, 02:47:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm.. I was having this exact thing happen the other day during my game problems.  I fixed it by finishing my reinstall.  That's weird that you're having this without having uninstalled anything.  What happens if you take out the new cc?

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 23, 02:52:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Durrrr, I R smrt. Thanks, yetyak -- I know about groups.cache but I hadn't thought to try it, probably because I don't have to do it often and forgot. -.-

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Game Doesn't Start (MORAL: Delete groups.cache Before Posting)
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 23, 02:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been having to do it alot lately, so it came right to mind!   Wink
dadditude
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 23, 03:41:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quick question: What information does groups.cache contain, and what do you lose by deleting it?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend;
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 23, 03:46:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if anyone really knows.  It's thought that it contains game data and sometimes when it gets too big, it'll cause some weird effects in either loading or closeing your game.

You don't lose anything by deleting it, it'll regen the instant you restart your game.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 23, 13:20:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Forestalls a lot of problems if you do it each time too.  It must contain Custom Conten data, as it's got bigger each time I've put more CC into my game.

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 23, 13:23:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm. I've been seeing the "Old Car Start", myself, although usually this is resolved thus far by banging on it some more, figuring if I click about 20 times on the startup icon, it eventually loads. Maybe it's time I stomped groups.cache.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 23, 15:31:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it is!

Zephyr Zodiac
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 24, 20:35:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also something I've experienced:

Apparently TS2 generates an autorun.exe and a second autorun file (but I can't remember the extenstion) in the temp folder of the current user for XP. My AO-Hell spyware protection saw it as a trojan and squished it. My game wouldn't run when I put the disk in. So, I deleted the contents of the temp folder and put the disk in again. It regened the autorun.exe and everything was fine (apparently the spyware protection doesn't see it as the same file it squished earlier).

So, be on the lookout for your spyware/virus protection putting a stop action on an EA autorun.exe file in the temp foler.

Just food for thought.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 24, 21:02:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Worrying......

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: