More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 01:09:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2  (Read 246828 times)
Akharra
Corpulent Cretin

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile
Re: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2
« Reply #550 on: 2008 March 12, 15:18:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you! I came to that conclusion also. I will build one myself. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Formerly known as Tess.

All those that believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: 2008 March 12, 18:54:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go back 2 pages in this thread (page 21) -- near the bottom of the page, Hegelian has a long message with info on his "$1400 MATY PC" -- I followed much of his list (different mobo and video card and newer CPU), but came in right around $1k using a combination of new stuff and existing parts (video card and HD) from my old PC.  You could follow his info while modifying it to better fit your budget (ie, smaller HD, cheaper processor, etc). The advantage of following his list is that pretty much everything is upgradeable, so you could expand/improve the PC as time and your budget allows.

Another handy source for info on building your own PC is the "DIY PC" blog on ZD Net.  Here's a link to a recent entry on building a sub-$1k gaming PC: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1147

Enjoy! and certainly come back to this thread for info as you progress -- I have a feeling it'll be around here for a long time. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Akharra
Corpulent Cretin

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 2008 March 12, 19:44:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again, Many Thanks!!

Formerly known as Tess.

All those that believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: 2008 March 13, 05:15:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since someone just asked about a new system, it's probably a good time to bring this up.

If you want a new system, and you want XP, Dell is STILL SHIPPING with the option of XP out of the small business section of the website.  Some of them come with (or have the option) of nice graphics cards.  You just have to make up a business name when you order, since it's a mandatory field, and they will send you way too many catalogs, but...yeah.  I like looking at computer deals, anyway.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 2008 March 13, 13:55:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're building your own, you can just move your existing XP to the new system.  And last time I looked, Best Buy is still selling XP (Pro, at least) -- I think the current cut-off date is sometime in June, but with how bad Vista is doing, I wouldn't be surprised if MS extends the date again.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 2008 March 13, 21:51:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you! I came to that conclusion also. I will build one myself. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Here's one I put together back in January. Some things have changed in the CPU and video-board market since then, so I might do it differently now—for example, I might recommend the Radeon HD3870 in place of the nVidia board. The Core 2 Duo E6750 is still probably the best value in an Intel CPU at $190, although if you have an extra $50 the new E8400 would be a nice upgrade—if you can find one.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: 2008 March 13, 22:22:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I think I bought the last E8400 in the country. Smiley

(Seems that way, anyway....)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.