More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:07:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2  (Read 246826 times)
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2
« Reply #500 on: 2008 February 03, 09:17:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You've stumbled upon the crux of my dilemma, Jess Maree. I don't want to purchase a Vista-laden computer. The Dell.com site has the option of installing XP, but Dell.ca does not. And you're correct; I don't need any security programs or Word, and I also do not need a monitor.

I appreciate your help very much. I'm going to do some investigating to see if purchasing the parts on their own would be a better bet than just buying a new computer outright since I'll likely be buying it after February 15th.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: 2008 February 03, 09:20:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're very welcome, Aggie. Since I STILL have way too much time on my hands, I might do some searching on serperate parts. Just because I'm nice (and very, very bored.)

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 2008 February 03, 09:54:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't purchase Dell, Dell = shit. Also, don't bother buying an OS. Why would you want one? You already HAVE one!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 2008 February 03, 12:24:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't purchase Dell, Dell = shit. Also, don't bother buying an OS. Why would you want one? You already HAVE one!

Dell = shit? Any Dell computers I've worked on have all been fine. Say, what brand of computer do you use, JM?

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 2008 February 03, 16:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dell = shit?

Have you opened it up and looked inside? The last Dell I tried working on had a drive mounted in front of the vents and the cables were inaccessible. I had the break the case open just to service it properly.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: 2008 February 03, 18:49:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dell = shit? Any Dell computers I've worked on have all been fine. Say, what brand of computer do you use, JM?
The fact that you would even ASK that question demonstrates why you are STUPID. "Brand"? What is this BRAND you speak of? REAL computers don't have BRANDS! Accept no Kewian-based substitutes!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 2008 February 04, 20:17:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alienware = RIPOFF

Actually, doesn't Alienware also = Dell?  I'm pretty sure Dell bought them about a year or so ago.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 2008 February 05, 03:41:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If that is true, I am glad I got my Alienware three years ago.  Grin

Although, the only reason I bought an Alienware in the first place was because I didn't have any PC savvy friends at the time (at least, none that were more savvy than I). So I bought Alienware because I figured that Gateway < Dell < Alienware. At least Alienware doesn't try to sell you DISCONTINUED HARDWARE like Gateway.

Now, I have a PC guy I trust. He runs his own little PC Repair shop.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
phoenix_risin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: 2008 February 05, 23:53:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had one built in August at a local shop. My only issues of late have been the darn graphics card keeps crashing during the game GRRR.
I am having another built in a week Not sure who will build it but I will continue to support local places instead of shipping and all that and having to send it back when there is a issue etc.
Actually I think this next one I will go to the computer show and buy my own parts and pay someone to put it together at the shop here in town. they guarantee their builds so it works out well. I get what I want and have someone local to fix it if anything happens

My biggest thing is figuring what is the best parts to get that work well I will not be able to upgrade for some time so it has to last. I also Refuse to get another darn NVIDIA card that is what is in this one and I have had nothing but issues
ATI from here on out.
Also unsure on the processor
 I read some not too good reviews of the Phenom
Anyone want to help me with a build?
 I do not need software do not need mice keyboards or monitors etc.
Just need the basic system I am wanting good cooling. Case cooling or more important than looks.
also a good power supply maybe 650 or more 800 watts ??
I need a mid sized hard drive(3500 to 500) as I plan on getting a external for my Sims stuff and graphics.
I want processor of at least 3.0. I have a AMD 5000 in this one that runs 2.60 and well it is ok but want more LOL
Graphic card latest Radeon( I think it is the 3850?? although I was reading somewhere that one of the latest are really large and will not work in certain cases and also that it has issues with heat at least the one with a fan on it??) with 512 MB on it
a CD DVD player
as well as a DVD burner
sound card
I know diddly about motherboards but want to be sure it is a good one. I want something that is not known to over heat.
 I have a HUGE fear of heat issues after my last one burnt up can you tell? LOL

I would like to shop here http://www.microcenter.com/index.html
 It is not far from my house and I can go there myself and buy the things and prices do not seem to bad
My budget is 1500.00 to 2000.00

Anyone want to give me some ideas?

Thank you
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 2008 February 06, 05:52:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always use nVidia. Never once had any trouble.

ATIs give me nothing but trouble. ATI cards are noisy, eat power like mad, and have the *worst* drivers of any video card ever made.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: 2008 February 06, 16:33:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never had problems with my ATI card.

As for a processor, I think I have an AMD. Those are supposedly good for gaming. That's what I was told 4 years ago, not sure if it still applies.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: 2008 February 06, 16:44:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Truth is, I've never had any serious problems with either. I suspect the people who DO have problems either fail to update their drivers, or do so too frequently. Both of which are bad things to do.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: 2008 February 06, 16:45:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, the only time I ever update my drivers is when I reformat the PC. And I was playing the sims every EP and SP up to Seasons with 512 MB of RAM with no slow down.

phoenix_risin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: 2008 February 07, 00:11:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is just it I never done anything to this one  regarding updates UNTIL I had issues thinking it would help. To be honest I have no clue what in heck is wrong with it. I have made an appointment to take it in but the tech can not get to it till next week No Simming  Shocked

I wish I knew what was wrong the last BSOD gave me something about infinite loop last time it crashed What that is I have no clue I posted about it in the random crash thread though if anyone wishes to give me some insight.

other than that though I have always Had AMD processors and will likely use it again I am unsure which one though any advice?
Also advice on the Mother board to go with it would be great I have always had ASUS boards in all my systems but the techs have chosen them for the most part as I have limited info on them.
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: 2008 February 07, 01:59:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My budget is 1500.00 to 2000.00

Anyone want to give me some ideas?

I present to you:  The $1400 MATY PC!

All prices current today at www.newegg.com.

SILVERSTONE Kublai Series KL02B Black Aluminum front panel, SECC body ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: KL02B
Item #: N82E16811163093
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
 In Stock 
$149.99  -$20.00 Instant    $129.99 

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-P35-DS3L
Item #: N82E16813128059
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
In Stock
$89.99

GIGABYTE GV-RX387512H Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #: GV-RX387512H
Item #: N82E16814125086
In Stock 
$219.99

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply - Retail
Model #: Silencer 610 EPS12V
Item #: N82E16817703005
In Stock 
$199.99  -$80.00 Instant    $119.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail
Model #: BX80557E6850
Item #: N82E16819115028
In Stock 
$279.99  -$5.00 Instant    $274.99

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA1065 - Retail
Model #: BL2KIT12864AA1065
Item #: N82E16820148069
In Stock
Mail-in Rebate 
$114.99  -$25.00 Instant    $89.99

Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD740ADFD
Item #: N82E16822136033
In Stock 
$149.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD7500AAKS
Item #: N82E16822136131
In Stock 
$159.99  -$5.00 Instant    $154.99

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail
Model #: LH-20A1L-06
Item #: N82E16827106072
In Stock 
$35.99

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio VARPAK 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card - OEM
I just discovered this is not a "real" X-Fi, but a crippled version that offloads audio processing to the CPU. Avoid these Etreme Audio models!
Model #: 30SB082000000
Item #: N82E16829102016
In Stock 
$49.99

Subtotal: $1,315.90 $1265.91
« Last Edit: 2008 May 04, 00:27:09 by Hegelian » Logged

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
phoenix_risin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: 2008 February 07, 12:26:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you very much Hegelian.

I am grateful for the help.

Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: 2008 February 07, 17:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, it was fun. My only regret is that I can't build it for myself.

On further reflection, I guess I should have included links to each item.

Note the heavy discount on the power supply—a real bargain at $119.

Quite a few of these items included free shipping at the time I put together the list (06 February).

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: 2008 February 07, 17:37:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's around time I got a new computer thing also. I realized I haven't really upgraded my computer-thing since 2005ish. Still chugging along on an old Athlon 64 4000 overclocked to around 3.5.

Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: 2008 February 07, 18:44:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh—I'm still running a 2.8GHz Northwood P4. My WinXP installation dates from December 2003.   Tongue

phoenix_risin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: 2008 February 08, 13:20:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The items were very easy to locate with the item numbers. While some would have likely been lazy and not used the search I was able to locate everything with it.

I had actually looked at the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Some have said it is a good one and runs with a little more juice. Any thoughts on that?

I wish you were closer to me I would pay you to build this for me. I will not likely be going back to the place that done the one I have now with all the issues I am having with it. Thankfully I am still under warranty  Grin
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: 2008 February 08, 15:09:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a way to get my detailed spec (Power supply, cooling unit, etc.) without pulling out my sales invoice?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: 2008 February 08, 15:45:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another thing to keep in mind is that most of those parts are things you do not actually need. You don't NEED a new CD drive: Your old one is fine! You don't need a new hard drive either...and if you don't need a new hard drive, you don't need a new operating system. Besides, what's wrong with your old one? Why would you get a NEW operating system if you still have the OLD one? And you probably don't need a sound card: Either you already have one, or most motherboards ship with a perfectly serviceable onboard. Sound is sound, anyway.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: 2008 February 08, 15:50:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My concern is that I'll need to get a new motherboard to upgrade my video card. I have an AGP (?) video card. I figure I'll need to upgrade to a PCI or PCI-Express card.

Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: 2008 February 15, 01:36:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had actually looked at the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Some have said it is a good one and runs with a little more juice. Any thoughts on that?

I chose the Core 2 Duo E6850 because of its value for the money, but it's not the most powerful Core 2 CPU. The best performance-for-money right now is probably the 2.66 GHz E6750 for nearly US$100 less than the E6850, while the best performance may be the Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache quad-core CPU at US$1070 (and twice the power consumption at 130W).

I actually didn't know the Wolfdale (E8000 series) CPUs were out. The E8400 certainly looks attractive at its current Newegg price of US$240, but it is so new you may have some difficulty finding a motherboard that will run it. Existing boards may require a BIOS update.

I wish you were closer to me I would pay you to build this for me.

In that case, so do I!   Grin

Is there a way to get my detailed spec (Power supply, cooling unit, etc.) without pulling out my sales invoice?

Power supplies have their output specs on a label on the case. You may need to remove the PSU if the label is on the top rather than the side.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: 2008 February 15, 16:43:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mm. In that case, I'll just pull out my sales invoice. It's in the box with all the software cds I got with the PC.  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: